Eyeballed a clay pipe in the water

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Game Over Man and I took advantage of the warm weather and went to a local town beach to do some wading.

I ended up scooping 2 silver Rosies, a few wheaties, bunch of clad and my last find of the day was eyeballing this mostly intact clay pipe just laying on the bottom in 3 feet of water. When I first saw it laying on the bottom I thought it was a child's toy for blowing bubbles.

It's not a old one, I think 1890's or so, but still a rare find for me. In all my past hunting I only found a bowl that came up in my scoop along with a coin.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Upvote 23
That is a nice find in only 3' of water. I got one in 15' last year in perfect condition. Glad you can still be in the Water in Wisconsin. I gave up last month in Michigan. Although I probably could still wade. It is a lot harder on me than diving. Congrats on getting out and finding silver with your clad and pipe

Thanks...it hit 70 yesterday. Last year we were still wading in early December. Suppose to be in the 60's the next few days. In WI., we have to take advantage of mild weather this time of the year.

1890s isn't old?!?!

In this hobby, 1890's is just the beginning of what we consider to be old. Even Civil War relics are considered quite modern to many people here, and that's 1860's. Colonial-Era, like the 1790's and older is what most people here would agree to as being 'truly old'. :) Even in the case of old clay pipes, an 1890 clay pipe is modern when you learn that pipes like this have been in production and use in this nation since the 1500's.

Nice hunt! When the title said clay pipe I was expecting to see a stem fragment but you recovered an intact bowl plus a good section of stem. Good recovery! :icon_thumright:

All about perspective, beauty, age, treasure is in the eye of the beholder.
Nice finds!

1890s isn't old?!?!

I think this style was toward the end of the clay pipe era. That's what I meant to say....not old as far as clay pipes go.

The GERMANY export mark was not required till 1880's or so, I think.

Cool find! Glad you can still wade. Lake Champlain temperatures are in the low 50s. Brrr.

aj

Neat find, I eyeballed one myself earlier this year it was very exciting. Underminer, we weren't a nation in the 1500's and the French and other Europeans didn't start mass producing them and bringing them here until they saw the natives using their hand made pipes and figured they would be good for trading ( not sure pipe history in Europe). I'm thinking maybe mid 1600s and onward?, When you look at where we are in technology and way of life today versus even 50 years ago, 1890s and their lifestyle is quite old IMO.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back