eyeballed intact clay artifact. (opinions please)

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found something on a 1715 fleet beach this evening that makes two from the same beach...almost the same exact spot many months apart.
I would like everyone's opinion on these apparently tar coated terracotta "bowls".
They look like a crucible to me with that pull in the rim for pouring but read no trace of metal.
I think I may have really beaten the odds..finding two of these on a beach unbroken.
Thanks for any and all info.

Attachments

• IMG_20131118_181349-1.jpg
    IMG_20131118_181349-1.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 126

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
OK that is just weird....I found almost identical bowls near each other (yes, two of them) on a beach near Tampa, I mean they are almost exact copies. I had someone tell me once that they were stacked on top of each other one with the opening down and the other with the opening up, and that scented oils were poured into the upright one to cover the musty smells down in the boats. I have no idea if that is true, I think it was a museum employee somewhere that told me that, they had a similar set on display, I think that may have been in the museum at the house of Refuge on Gilbert's Bar, Fl. but I'm not completely sure. Very strange to have two finds this similar from different coasts....here is a pic of one of them, diameter of the bowl is maybe 2-2.5". Will take a pic of both when I get home tonight....scary!

Attachments

• DSCN2328.JPG
    DSCN2328.JPG
    930.9 KB · Views: 125
OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HA! ....I love it!

Donovan

Jun 10, 2005
Because of the blackened rim and the little dip in the rim, they look to me like oil lamps. The dip would be for the wick. There might be dozens of similar items on a vessel.

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks for the insight Donovan, I can see that being the case now that you mention it. I knew when I saw GatorBoy's find that it was a match for my two, then when I read he had TWO also I nearly fell over. I don't remember if my other one has a dip in the rim or not, can't wait to get home and see. Too strange, I feel like I'm on an episode of The Twilight Zone. :-) I had never posted mine because I wasn't sure what they were or if they were even shipwreck material. They came from a beach that gives up shipwreck material all the time over here, and with GB's identical finds I'm starting to get more confident in them.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm so happy I posted!
Gotta love this forum!
The odds of us ever comparing our finds without it are tiny.
This gets even stranger.. please look at my post in "beach and shallow water" metal detecting.
Clay pot is in the title.

Last edited:

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro
GatorBoy, I hate to burst your enthusiasm, these terracotta bowls are ceremonial/prayer bowls used by indians from India. You can get them in any Indian stores or Bazaars. I have found them on Hutchinson Island in Melbourne Beach and beaches in Palm Beach county.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhh.. so would they be the same today as they were a long time ago?
Would something like these be found aboard a ship or is it just a fluke? you think?

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GatorBoy, I hate to burst your enthusiasm, these terracotta bowls are ceremonial/prayer bowls used by indians from India. You can get them in any Indian stores or Bazaars. I have found them on Hutchinson Island in Melbourne Beach and beaches in Palm Beach county.

I don't see a lip pull area on any of the examples I see online.. can you post yours please?

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
However this is what I find when I look up Earthenware oil lamp.

220px-Diya-1.jpeg

220px-Diya.jpeg

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree..
I thank you for the link though its not working for me.. might be a problem on my end not sure.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gator, the bottom showing the clay material looks to me like it wasn't made 300+ years ago, being that if it has been in sea water that long. Just saying, but it is an interesting find!

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what your saying..but I don't know how long in has been buried or what.. I don't know much about it that's for sure.
But look at this piece of native pottery that is older that came from an erosion event on the coast.
Not all the finds have been in the sea this whole time.
It's even possible this has to do with a salvage effort not long after I suppose.

ForumRunner_20131119_230927.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scubafinder also said he saw examples at a museum not far from here.
It's interesting I'll give it that.

Last edited:

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree..
I thank you for the link though its not working for me.. might be a problem on my end not sure.

It is a pdf document you have to either open or save...it is actually pretty interesting reading...

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got it to download thanks.
It's very interesting reading.

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Interesting thoughts, I got home last night and my camera batts were dead but the charger was here at work. Here are the pics of my two, found on same beach about a month apart, within 100 yards of each other. I was thinking about which museum I saw these at, and I'm certain it was either Gilbert's Bar House of Refuge or one of the museums on the outer banks of NC near Currituck. I agree these would be rather dangerous on a boat especially in rough seas. I have an Indian Import trading company right near me, I will swing by and see if they sell something similar. I have seen middle easterners doing some sort of prayer ritual on the beach with candles on occasion so maybe that is where they come from.

Attachments

• DSCN3595.JPG
    DSCN3595.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCN3596.JPG
    DSCN3596.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCN3597.JPG
    DSCN3597.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCN3598.JPG
    DSCN3598.JPG