Ezra Kind, The Thoen Stone, and all the gold they could carry.

applecrack

Jan 22, 2014
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Whites XLT
Whites TM808
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Pronghorn, perhaps I can help with your question. This is just a thought. It was often the case that when you went prospecting you packed light. Once you found a likely spot you would go to the nearest outpost or trading post to load up on supplies. This may have been the time he wrote his letter and sent it as was often the case. Several reports have this group leaving in 1833, it would be safe to say that they left in late spring or early summer of 1833. That gives them a full year since they had their gold by June, 1834. Just a though.

Jul 14, 2022
ezra kind was my great-great uncle. just seeing info on my family. have gone to hill city,sd for the past three years and had no idea. road trip next year!

Maitland

Mar 15, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
White's Silver Eagle, Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ezra kind was my great-great uncle. just seeing info on my family. have gone to hill city,sd for the past three years and had no idea. road trip next year!
That is very interesting, Diane! You will have to see the stone tablet itself in person, it is at the Adam's Museum in Deadwood. I'm sure your family doesn't have any stories about Ezra that have been passed down over generations(?), but if so they would be interesting to know. As a Black Hills history buff, the Thoen Stone and the fate of Ezra have long been a fascination for me.

thegoldbug

Aug 11, 2023
That is very interesting, Diane! You will have to see the stone tablet itself in person, it is at the Adam's Museum in Deadwood. I'm sure your family doesn't have any stories about Ezra that have been passed down over generations(?), but if so they would be interesting to know. As a Black Hills history buff, the Thoen Stone and the fate of Ezra have long been a fascination for me.

thegoldbug

Aug 11, 2023
The Ezra party probably did not access the hills from Fort Laramie based upon this date I found on the website.
https://www.nps.gov/fola/index.htm

1693008203882.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread