F2 Coil help

Broevol

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so I have had my F2 now for about a month and I am thinking I need to upgrade to the 10" or 11"DD. I have mostly been hunting on my own property which is an old farmstead from the 1800s. I have found your standard old farm iron, however all the clad I've found has been from the 1970s and is about 4" deep. I am even finding Coke cans from the 1980s that are buried 6" deep. So my thought is, if I have any good stuff (pre 1950s coins), they have to be buried a lot deeper than 6". I refuse to think that there are no silver coins on my property. I also assume deep coins will still have a higher pitched signal, just not as loud? I do get faint signals in the 68-78 range, however it seems like I can't "lock on" to that signal. So...what are your thoughts? 10"....DD?...or give this F2 to my kid and upgrade to something else? I have been running the 8" and 4" sniper.

thanks,
Darin

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
It's not a foregone conclusion that if there's old silver, it's deeper (although that may be the case).

For max depth, what you want is the 11 inch DD searchcoil. (There are two types of connector, make sure you get one with the correct connector that matches your machine.)

The 11 inch DD is a bit pricey, and in the end what you would have is an F2 with an 11 inch searchcoil. A pretty good performing combination for coins under many conditions. However if you've really gotten hooked on the hobby and can afford it, you might want to invest in a more expensive machine. Since you're looking specifically for deep silver, the logical next major step up would be a Tek Omega or Fisher F5 with 11 inch searchcoil, or (for a lot more money) an F75 LTD/SE or CZ3D.

--Dave J.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread