Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The DD is like an invisible blade in the ground traveling from heel to toe straight down 9-10". Back and forth while you hear the target and move the coil forward or backward till you lose the signal. Target should be where you last heard the tone.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I also use that wiggle and pull back method.
Short quick swipes over the target keeping it in the middle while pulling backwards.
When the tone drops out, the target will be in front of the rim of the coil if it is really shallow, under the rim if it is a few inches deep or just in back of the front rim if it is deeper.

For pretty deep targets I use the pinponter.
Using the pinpointer the target is usually just north of the coil center, not right in the middle like a concentric.
Get your lowest reading on the screen, stop, turn 90 degrees and where the 2 lowest numbers cross that is your target location.

Here is a Garrett vid with several techniques that helped me out a ton when I first started using a DD coil.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&mid=8A60BCFCF241AECDF4AF8A60BCFCF241AECDF4AF

Last edited:

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a F5 and the 11" DD coil. If you look at the coil in the center of the coil is a small circle. That is the sweet spot. Pinpoint and when you get the lowest depth reading that dot should be over the center of the target. You can even put a sticker or dot of fingernail polish on that circle to see it better.

Last edited:

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is what I did.

WP_20141009_001[1].jpg