F5 Ground or Mineral Canceling

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cal G. said:
I am considering a F5,but I wondering if this machine manually ground balance in discrimination mode as it does in the all metal mode? What I am trying to say does the discrimination mode have a preset ground balance or manual ground balance? thanks CG

When you GB in all metal and switch to Disc, the setting carries over to the disc mode. If you change the sensitivity you should switch back to all metal and re ground balance before changing back to Disc. Many think when in Disc. they are in automatic but they are running on what ever setting they set earlier in all metal.

autopilot42

Greenie
Sep 5, 2009
The F5 can be ground balanced in Disc the same as in Autotune except you do not have a threshold hum in Disc (silent search). The machine always displays your ground balance setting on the lower left and the ground phase on the lower right. It is a realtime display so all you have to do is pump coil a few times over clean ground then manually adjust GB till they match or set a slight positive or negative offset as your desire. It also has the phase lock button that can be used in either mode and you get an audible confirmation after a couple of seconds of pumping and hold the phase lock button and you are Ground balanced and ready to go.

Take care

Bob

Streak!

Mar 4, 2009
Cal G. said:
I am considering a F5,but I wondering if this machine manually ground balance in discrimination mode as it does in the all metal mode? What I am trying to say does the discrimination mode have a preset ground balance or manual ground balance? thanks CG

You can manually Gb OR phase lock GB in either Autotune or Disc mode, and it will carry over to either mode. The
f5 does not have autotracking, but it only takes about three seconds to Phase lock in either mode. It important to release the phase lock button while still pumping to get an accurate lock, but its quick and easy.
you CAN manually balance in disc mode with the F5 by just pumping the coil to get a Phase value (as displayed on the right), and then adjusting the Gb value on the left with the Gb knob to match it. You wont get the audio confirmation in Disc that you will in Autotune, but it will balance the same........... Streak!

OP
OP
C

Cal G.

Mar 19, 2003
Sandman, Autopilot & Streak, thanks so much for the explanation on the F5. I am considering this machine as it seems to fit needs and my pocket book.

Thanks again, CG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions