F5 to V3i Is it worth it?

yankeetom57

Mar 7, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 600, Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am thinking of upgrading to a V3i but am unsure if the extra $5-700 for a used one is worth it or not. I mostly hunt coins/jewelry but with an occassional opportunity to gold and beach hunt. I live in the Texas panhandle so dont get to do much of the latter at all. I am pretty happy with my F5 but know that it has its limitations ie depth, mineralized soil, trashy areas. I have read some threads on the V3i that sound impressive, and increase the opportunities for finds. Since im not made of money, but have a chance to add enough to get a used one would it be worth it. Thx for everyones input

Upvote 0

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The F75 works well in mineralized soil. Be sure and get the F75 LTD/SE version, it adds a lot of horsepower to the standard F75. It is a good machine for gold, coins and relics. It is extremely sensitive and can be a little noisy in an urban setting if run too hot. It has a very fast processor, so it can take a fast swing.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you can change the settings so that you are actually harming your hunting abilities.

You pointed out a key limitation in the V3i in my opinion.

Yes you can adjust every possible function of the V3i, it can be adjusted out of wack if you are not careful, that being said you can adjust it for maximum performance in the ground conditions that you have at any given time. It is definitely a steep learning curve. I carry a copper penny and usually a dime with me to check with my detector to make sure that I haven't tweaked something out of wack.

I am beginning my second season with it and in the first month I have found more good finds with it then I did in the three months that I used it last year.

I have been looking hard at other flagship detectors really hard the last two weeks, and I personally think that the V3i and all of it's capabilities is the top machine out there right now. From what I can see it is equal or greater than the ctx 3030 for a full thousand dollars less.

The ctx 3030 is waterproof and has a gps, but for an extra thousand?! If you look on you tube and see the depth test you will not be impressed with the ctx 3030. The maximum depth they are air testing is around 8 to 9 inches. I can air test up to 14 inches with the V3i.

Supposedly the Deus isnt as deep as the ctx 3030. Just some thoughts.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes you can adjust every possible function of the V3i, it can be adjusted out of wack if you are not careful, that being said you can adjust it for maximum performance in the ground conditions that you have at any given time. It is definitely a steep learning curve. I carry a copper penny and usually a dime with me to check with my detector to make sure that I haven't tweaked something out of wack.

I am beginning my second season with it and in the first month I have found more good finds with it then I did in the three months that I used it last year.

I have been looking hard at other flagship detectors really hard the last two weeks, and I personally think that the V3i and all of it's capabilities is the top machine out there right now. From what I can see it is equal or greater than the ctx 3030 for a full thousand dollars less.

The ctx 3030 is waterproof and has a gps, but for an extra thousand?! If you look on you tube and see the depth test you will not be impressed with the ctx 3030. The maximum depth they are air testing is around 8 to 9 inches. I can air test up to 14 inches with the V3i.

Supposedly the Deus isnt as deep as the ctx 3030. Just some thoughts.

I am no minelab fan, actually I love whites, but minelabs don't do any good on air tests, they need to be placed in ground tests. The 3030 can do much more that 8 in in the ground... In those type of detectors air tests don't mean much....

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes you can adjust every possible function of the V3i, it can be adjusted out of wack if you are not careful, that being said you can adjust it for maximum performance in the ground conditions that you have at any given time. It is definitely a steep learning curve. I carry a copper penny and usually a dime with me to check with my detector to make sure that I haven't tweaked something out of wack. I am beginning my second season with it and in the first month I have found more good finds with it then I did in the three months that I used it last year. I have been looking hard at other flagship detectors really hard the last two weeks, and I personally think that the V3i and all of it's capabilities is the top machine out there right now. From what I can see it is equal or greater than the ctx 3030 for a full thousand dollars less. The ctx 3030 is waterproof and has a gps, but for an extra thousand?! If you look on you tube and see the depth test you will not be impressed with the ctx 3030. The maximum depth they are air testing is around 8 to 9 inches. I can air test up to 14 inches with the V3i. Supposedly the Deus isnt as deep as the ctx 3030. Just some thoughts.

I would love to try a 3030 but I have a buddy of mine that compares his signals on his V3i with his friends 3030 while they hunt and so far neither detector has been able to see a target that the other one could not. I still would love to give one a spin for a day.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would love to try a 3030 but I have a buddy of mine that compares his signals on his V3i with his friends 3030 while they hunt and so far neither detector has been able to see a target that the other one could not. I still would love to give one a spin for a day.

Kinda what I mean, for a thousand less the V3i seems to be equal or better than the ctx 3030. Also the mixed mode pro program is touted as being the ultimate deep seeker program and I have only began to experiment with it.

OP
OP
Y

yankeetom57

Mar 7, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well thx everyone I kind of changed course and went with the F75ltd. Not near the investment but still a very comparable machine. Now the fun of learning a new machine. I'm really looking forward to hitting some spots that haven't given up much lately and going deeper for items I couldn't see before with my f5. I'm drooling just thinking about it.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You won't be disappointed, I had a v3i I did also know the machine very well & its options, with that I had all the coils available ect, great great detector that you can adjust to any place you want to go, on the other hand it does take a while to actually figure out what u need to do when coming to a different site, you could just use it out the box very good aswell, I just got the f75ltd only had it out a couple of times couple hrs at those times & I really like it, it has the right amount of options doesn't take long at all to throw some settings on that suit ur spot also seems very powerful. You will notice as I did around powerlines hmm very chatty pics up EMI pretty fast but if ubcan detect away from them ur gonna get great results. I'd also recommend getting a 5"dd coil

OP
OP
Y

yankeetom57

Mar 7, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you noticed if the vdi locks in pretty solid or if it bounces around alot? I noticed it seemed to on some you tube videos I've watched.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The v3i does seem a bit more stable, on the f75 it can be pretty jumpy the further the target gets into the ground, smaller coil will get more stable verse the 11". My suggestion would be use & go by tones & don't rely on the tid or vdi of the detectors sometimes yes they are right on what it is but if u only go by that you will lose some great targets repeatable tones dig em

OP
OP
Y

yankeetom57

Mar 7, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya I kind of figured I would need to go more off of the tone. Thx

Top Member Reactions