F75 or AT Pro?

rmm911

Sep 18, 2015
Charleston, SC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am retired now and have the time to do some things that I would like to do. I live in Charleston, SC and am interested in learning more about detecting. I have no experience, I am a beginner. I have been reading a lot but I am ready to move forward.

I have been reading about the Fisher F75 and the Garrett AT Pro. I believe that I have narrowed my focus down to these two machines. As is the case with just about anything, the reviews I see are varied. I am aware of the price difference but I am more interested in knowing whether the F75 is worth the extra cost? If it is, I don't have a problem paying a little more. That said, I also can't afford to be wasting my money.

I have seen different claims about what each machine can do but I expect that either machine can do what I will need it to do, at least for now. I guess I am more concerned about quality. Is the quality of the F75 worth the extra money?
Is it even fair to compare these two machines or does Garrett have a model that is closer in comparison to the F75?
Is the F75 made in the USA?

I read comments about the learning curve being greater for the F75 than the AT Pro. Some even said "the F75 is not for beginners".
I am not technically challenged but I remember I once bought a very nice telescope that was so complicated, I became discouraged and ended up selling it.
I have also wasted money on something cheaper only to later wish I had bought the better and more expensive item.

I will most likely end up using my detector at the beach but I don't want to be confined to just the beach. I would like to search for older things as well.

I live close to Folly Beach, which is periodically renourished with several feet of sand. I don't know how that affects targets but aside from recently lost items, it makes me wonder what to expect.

I like that the AT Pro is water proof but I question if that should that be a deciding factor for me. I can search the beach without getting in the water. What about salt air and corrosion?

Based on what I am reading, it sounds like a pin pointer is a good tool to have. I assume most everyone agrees with this? Some say start with a cheap one. It seems like a good one will cost about $100.00.

I can see that there are many experienced detectors visiting this forum and I would appreciate your time and advice.

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, AT Pro, Ace 250, Tesoro, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go with the AT Pro just make one mistake on the beach with the F75 in the water and its dead! Love the 75 great machine but the learning curve is much greater than the AT Pro. The AT Pro is as close to a turn on and go, type of machine you can get for the money. My At Pro is what I always end up going to when I am not sure what kind of conditions I am going to see when I travel!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Either detector will serve you well in the dry sand. I run the F75LTD and have about 180 hours on it. I bought it used and had it upgraded last winter. It does have many bells and whistles, but is not too hard to learn. As for a pinpointer, I hate the cheaper ones. Bought a BH pinpointer last summer, it has a range of maybe 1/2 inch, I could find coins faster by hand. It sits in the van unused, were as the Garrett Pro-Pointer has a range of about 3 inches. I won't leave home without it. I am thinking of upgrading to the Garret Carrot and keeping the Pro-Pointer as a back-up/loaner.

In my opinion, one of the best bangs for the buck is the T2. You can get one for $499 new off the shelf. It's similar to the F75. Last year these were priced at $899.00

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would probably go with the AT because it is waterproof and it will resale quickly if you decide it's not for you. It is a single freq vlf which is not the best in wet salt, but it will ground balance down to salt and run ok.

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I swing an F70 (the F75's cousin)

Great machine on land. As is the F75 (they share the same basic technology)

I think the F75 is deeper than the AT Pro

If you're interested in water hunting the AT Pro is a better machine because it is waterproof. (Although I would argue that its water superiority is probably better used in fresh water like rivers, creeks, and lakes.)

If you want to hunt the surf, I don't think you really want either of these machines.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: South Carolina for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state. Also, you might browse Forum: Garrett and Forum: Fisher Research Labs...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome.PNG The AT Pro sucks at saltwater beaches in the wet sand it being a single freq. detector. There are much better detectors out there. The Whites Beach Hunter ID has two freq. to handle the saltwater and Black sand where the AT Pro can not. The F75 is not hard to learn at all an is much better as to identifying targets. The ATP has been dumbed down from when it first came out, but there are many newbies that like the cause they don't have experience with other detectors. Heck, I have one which I won't use. F-75.JPG

Last edited:

DirtWarrior

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT Pro
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wel-come aboard ... :notworthy:

OP
OP
R

rmm911

Sep 18, 2015
Charleston, SC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all of the replies.

If I have my way, I will be going to the beach only when I have nowhere else to go.

I am interested in the quality difference between the F75 and the AT Pro. Why does the F75 cost so much more?

I will be taking a look at the T2.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because its 4 times the detector than the ATPRO! A good portion of the cost of the ATP goes into the waterproofing

If you don't need a backlight I would go with the T2 personally.

Last edited:

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use both the T2 and F-75 DST models, i`m more of a relic hunter so the expanded Iron Range 1-40 of the T2 is very helpful,always dig 35 in iron or higher,maybe a trade ax .
The F-75 Iron Range is 1-15,but the Static All Metal Mode of the 75 is real good finding deeper/ larger relics,similar to the Pin Point Mode.
The F-75 has the Tones and the Process separate, T2 combines them somewhat,so with the F-75 in the high iron areas i can use the FA Process in Delta pitch and that really talks my language.
The back light only in F-75 is always on,and also helpful in the deep wood on a cloudy/dusk day.
You can`t go wrong,lite weight,long battery life, very deep,separation is great with the F-75 or T2.
As to the At Pro,i haven`t used one enough the have an opinion on it .
Gary

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you buy a detector it's not just the housing, shaft and coil. You're buying the engineering, software and programming and lots of other internals.

Another thing to consider is aftermarket options. Sunray probes, other brand coils, etc.

The F75 is two seperate detectors - the video is distinct from the audio. When you get into more difficult spots that gives you more information to base your decisions on.

I own an F-75 (one of the first that I have returned & and upgraded twice - and that's a NICE policy from Fisher) and it can use used by a beginner. You just have to leave it at the defaults and ground balance. I do a factory reset every time I turn mine on. It's very easy to program and all the functions are shown right on the display.

I don't beach hunt so I don't know if the F-75 is good or bad there. It's a great coin shooter. I haven't been inclined to find another since i bought mine in 2007. There's always something new to try or learn.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I started metal detecting in the mid 1980's. I have the at pro and other more expensive machines.
I like my at pro and use it almost exclusively. It's a great machine and is not that easy to fully learn and understand as some that never gave it the time to learn how to use it claim.
The at pro has been upgraded since it initially came out, not "dumbed down".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread