Failed Crop Area - Day 4 - FINISHED.....

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finished the area of failed crop in just under 10 combined hours. We were lucky to have this area, this late into the harvest & were surprised how well we did.

Please with the tiny 1 piece 'plough' button.
Small Medieval horse pendant
Top of a 17th century spoon
Medieval Strapend
Countermarked 1806/07 Penny
Cash coin
4 Roman Coins

Star find - Cru'dad got what are thought to be the top off a Georgian tobacco box in the shape of a head (made of lead). This is the second type we have ever had & they could almost be a pair, 1 man & 1 woman (I think).

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 563
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 555
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 547
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 543
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 544
  • 6a.JPG
    6a.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 534
  • 7a.JPG
    7a.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 517
Upvote 0

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
the roman coin bottom right has great detail!

:thumbsup:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
the roman coin bottom right has great detail!

:thumbsup:
yeah, but the head is not so good. Antoninius Pius AD153 (from the top of my head)

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
i managed a naval cuff button, musket ball and an old penny with the lobo this afternoon ;D

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
i managed a naval cuff button, musket ball and an old penny with the lobo this afternoon ;D

Is that in the woods, sounds like a great start.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:

yeah in the woods! not the one i said about, this is in the next field! i was only there an hour with the kids and dog!

11 shot gun cartridges though :-\

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:

yeah in the woods! not the one i said about, this is in the next field! i was only there an hour with the kids and dog!

11 shot gun cartridges though :-\

That is a good hour.

I dug over 25 cartridges & Dad about the same. We hate them but need to clear them out.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
its a shame, i am used to the lobo now and really like it but its just not going to last too much longer :(

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
its a shame, i am used to the lobo now and really like it but its just not going to last too much longer :(

we worked it to near death :tongue3:

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
you gotta be one dug out dude! nice stuff

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
STH69 said:
you gotta be one dug out dude! nice stuff

Yeah, I always go back to work Monday feeling like I had a boxing match with Mike Tyson.

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Cru, yes the farmers plowing button is unusual and very nice!

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
What is your trouble with the Lobo Shaun?

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
WOODY50 said:
shaun7 said:

well, the battery cables are very short and if they/it has to be stripped back once more, it will be too short to be able to get the batteries back in.

also it keeps having funny turns where it just goes mad even when dry! plus it cannot get wet at all :-\

i'm really use to it now and its good at finding coins, but every time cru finds ANOTHER hammered >:( i test it under my coil and it will only pick it up at 2" tops!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cru,
Amazing finds. Is there any dirt in your fields over there or are they all metal relics? ;D :thumbsup:
Call me strange, but my favorite is that button with the guy plowing the field. Very cool.
Congrats to you & Cru Dad.
-MM-

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
WOODY50 said:
shaun7 said:
well, the battery cables are very short and if they/it has to be stripped back once more, it will be too short to be able to get the batteries back in.
also it keeps having funny turns where it just goes mad even when dry! plus it cannot get wet at all :-\
i'm really use to it now and its good at finding coins, but every time cru finds ANOTHER hammered >:( i test it under my coil and it will only pick it up at 2" tops!
Hi Shaun... Yes the battery stuff is one of the faults of the detector, also the battery check if you are wearing headphones!

The first thing I did when I got my Lobo's is to remove the wires (kind of not bendable type) and replace them with longer more flexible wires. And that for
two reasons; one they broke off the connectors because the cables were not flexible enough; and two it was difficult to refit the battery compartment
door, the wires got in the way. So I changed it around with longer wires so that the connectors were not facing the back but I then put the batteries
in backwards, thus the wires and connectors on the bottom of the battery compartment instead of the top. Understand? Anyone with a bit of experience
with soldering could do that for you, me too, but I am not there....!

There is another solution for you though. I was myself busy with it and would have done the modification if I had not bought a XP, then the Lobo became
my #1 backup unit. That is to fit the bottom of the battery compartment with plate (not metal) containing 4 pyramid type small springs (like in flashlights).
The wires would have connected to the springs, and then I would have removed the wires to the battery holder and just drop them in backwards to what
they now are. What I would have made then is a drop in pack for the battery holders.

Like I mentioned I never got around to doing it, but I also found a place in England that would perform the modification for me. It did cost a bit of money
and of course I would miss my Lobo's then (sending one at a time would be much more expensive). If you want to know who or what metal detector
store did that let me know and I can try to find it in my 3 tera byte computer (I never throw much away!).

Your problem with the 'funny turns' and 'going mad' could be because its not getting enough juice. Maybe most of some of the tiny wires to the battery are
damaged or broken. I don't think it now has much to do with moisture, maybe also could be where the wires connect to the printed circuit board. I don't
think I every had much trouble with wetness, but I used it always as a hip unit, and then it was under my coat (rain coat). The only bad thing then is the
thin cable running to the coil. If branches or twigs are sticking out of the ground you have to be very careful. I was, but in many digs for the arch. people
one of my coils cable was shortened to about a half meter because of all the times the cable broke (many boards and stuff like building iron sticking out of
the soil on building projects)....

Now about your 2" hammered problem. I am pretty sure that this is a cable problem, the cable running from the unit to the coil. I don't know how
much of an expert you are about that sort of thing, but if you can't do it yourself ask a friend to help. Open up the connector (that fits on the unit)
and carefully inspect the wires that are soldered on the connectors poles. Be careful, and if something is broken first make a wiring diagram (color
of the wires connected to which pin on the connector) say looking from the back side SO THAT you don't get mixed up and think later it is from the front side
of the connector.

The reason I say this is that I have had cable breaks many many times, and sometimes it just does not work, is very unstable, but other times
it works but the performance is very poor (just what you mention). I have had wires broken off the connectors pins, and also have had
shorts between two pins.

So I think if you replace your wires, and check the connector, you might just fix your problems. It would be handy if you had a second coil..
then you could compare if both or only one coil does not work correct. Success!

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
WOODY50 said:
shaun7 said:
WOODY50 said:
shaun7 said:
Hi Shaun... Yes the battery stuff is one of the faults of the detector, also the battery check if you are wearing headphones!

The first thing I did when I got my Lobo's is to remove the wires (kind of not bendable type) and replace them with longer more flexible wires. And that for
two reasons; one they broke off the connectors because the cables were not flexible enough; and two it was difficult to refit the battery compartment
door, the wires got in the way. So I changed it around with longer wires so that the connectors were not facing the back but I then put the batteries
in backwards, thus the wires and connectors on the bottom of the battery compartment instead of the top. Understand? Anyone with a bit of experience
with soldering could do that for you, me too, but I am not there....!

There is another solution for you though. I was myself busy with it and would have done the modification if I had not bought a XP, then the Lobo became
my #1 backup unit. That is to fit the bottom of the battery compartment with plate (not metal) containing 4 pyramid type small springs (like in flashlights).
The wires would have connected to the springs, and then I would have removed the wires to the battery holder and just drop them in backwards to what
they now are. What I would have made then is a drop in pack for the battery holders.

Like I mentioned I never got around to doing it, but I also found a place in England that would perform the modification for me. It did cost a bit of money
and of course I would miss my Lobo's then (sending one at a time would be much more expensive). If you want to know who or what metal detector
store did that let me know and I can try to find it in my 3 tera byte computer (I never throw much away!).

Your problem with the 'funny turns' and 'going mad' could be because its not getting enough juice. Maybe most of some of the tiny wires to the battery are
damaged or broken. I don't think it now has much to do with moisture, maybe also could be where the wires connect to the printed circuit board. I don't
think I every had much trouble with wetness, but I used it always as a hip unit, and then it was under my coat (rain coat). The only bad thing then is the
thin cable running to the coil. If branches or twigs are sticking out of the ground you have to be very careful. I was, but in many digs for the arch. people
one of my coils cable was shortened to about a half meter because of all the times the cable broke (many boards and stuff like building iron sticking out of
the soil on building projects)....

Now about your 2" hammered problem. I am pretty sure that this is a cable problem, the cable running from the unit to the coil. I don't know how
much of an expert you are about that sort of thing, but if you can't do it yourself ask a friend to help. Open up the connector (that fits on the unit)
and carefully inspect the wires that are soldered on the connectors poles. Be careful, and if something is broken first make a wiring diagram (color
of the wires connected to which pin on the connector) say looking from the back side SO THAT you don't get mixed up and think later it is from the front side
of the connector.

The reason I say this is that I have had cable breaks many many times, and sometimes it just does not work, is very unstable, but other times
it works but the performance is very poor (just what you mention). I have had wires broken off the connectors pins, and also have had
shorts between two pins.

So I think if you replace your wires, and check the connector, you might just fix your problems. It would be handy if you had a second coil..
then you could compare if both or only one coil does not work correct. Success!

thanks for that info woody,but just like you the lobo will soon be my back up!

the answer to my hammered problems will be in the post in a weeks time :wink:

watchout crusader! :D :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions