May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cru team back together for today then I'll be detecting on my tod for most of next week.

Dad remembered one of the farmers mentioning that one of their crops was likely to fail. This was due to poor conditions this year & they put in the oil seed rape far too late. Indeed when we looked the whole crop had failed, I think they may try another crop early next year.

This field was where I found the nice Saxon/Viking Strapend early in the year & we have had a number of Roman coins in the past. We were trying land that had not been ploughed since we last did it but beggars can't be choosers.

We did 4 hours & I didn't get the broken hammered until I was on the way back to the car. It was too dark to see what I had but I guessed what it was & Dad used the GPS light to ID & plot it. So a lucky last find.

6 more Scrappy roman coins.
Over 4 pouches of iron (not including Dads 2)

I was comparing signals with the Cortes. Dad heard most of the signals with the Cortes but what I was impressed about was the tiny Medieval 'barrell' mount (sexfoil) (right of the broken key). It gave a sweet signal on the XP but a very iffy signal on the Cortes.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 914
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 910
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 894
Upvote 0
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tymcmurray said:
Sorry for the farmer, happy for you guys!

True. Although they are very successful & this will only dent their profit. All part of farming really, governed by mother nature.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some of detectors best finds are on the way back to their car. Nice hunt.......................................... as usuall, Crusader :thumbsup:

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice stuff! What's the Ninja star-shaped item under the key?

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
curbdiggercarl57 said:
Nice stuff! What's the Ninja star-shaped item under the key?

Georgian/Victorian furniture decoration. The drawer pull went through the hole.

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:
is that hammered another lizzie?
plenty of finds there for a field you have already done!
Like yours, a Lizzy Halfgroat.
Whats working in our favour is the last time we did it was tough stubble. They ploughed the crop straight into the stubble but now its well wintered & clasped flat. So with these nice wet conditions & the well settled field we are picking up some deeper finds (& ones we missed). The XP is a gem & next year is going to be a good one :thumbsup:
Hi Cru... you ARE getting the hang of things just fine, I can see that from your finds. Just keep learning and digging the junk, really if YOU become a GOOD detectorist, even better than you are now, you and everyone should be digging a lot of signals.... Not only to learn about your detector but to hear what signals your detector is giving to you. I never mind junk. Pouches full does not phase me, I just keep going. Everyonce in a while I am very surprised (don't show it though) to find a great find instead of junk, it does happen.

The trick is to dig fast and get the thing, at least that is it with me. Why, well I just don't have the time like you have to search every day, my missy wants me back home sometimes. When I search in England I don't STOP, just keep running as you know, my time is too valuable there, I only have 2 or 3 weeks to search. Wish I lived there, but if so my wife would have me in chains just keeping me at home...... Oh well....

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:

Whats working in our favour is the last time we did it was tough stubble. They ploughed the crop straight into the stubble but now its well wintered & clasped flat. So with these nice wet conditions & the well settled field we are picking up some deeper finds (& ones we missed). The XP is a gem & next year is going to be a good one :thumbsup:
maybe i'll set my sights on an xp instead of the cortes! only thing is, like you said there are no used ones out there!
Just keep in contact with me about an used xp if you ship comes in Shaun....

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:
CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:

maybe i'll set my sights on an xp instead of the cortes! only thing is, like you said there are no used ones out there!

I think that wise, specially for comfort. However, with Woody settings you will still dig as much iron/coke as your cheeper machine & Lobo (& probably more). I dug twice as much rubbish as Dad did. What you need is plenty of recovery practice so as to speed up your digging time therefore increasing your coverage of the field. Or, in the case of the Lobo turn up the Disc a bit (possibility miss the odd find) but dig less iron/coke, therefore covering more land & hopefully increase your good finds. Specially as you seem to have coke filled fields.
I agree with Cru about this Shaun. I always have troubles with cokes, even with the XP. Some machines now days can filter them out, but I would not use them, unless the whole darn field is full of cokes. I still like low discrimation.

Byt anyway do what I said about the digger, I would also increase the disc a bit for sure. When you learn more you can little by little lower it. Getting used to a dectector does take time, but you seem to be learning. Look at those faint signals when you can determine how deep they are.... and just dig dig dig now. That's why a good digger is very important....

Yes increase the speed of your digging, that is a good tip from Cru. Cokes are a problem but take them with you, they are light, and if you don't take them with you or throw them someplace where you will not find them again, you will continue to find them. That is important if on that field you find some nice things....

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
woody50 said:
CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:
CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:

I think that wise, specially for comfort. However, with Woody settings you will still dig as much iron/coke as your cheeper machine & Lobo (& probably more). I dug twice as much rubbish as Dad did. What you need is plenty of recovery practice so as to speed up your digging time therefore increasing your coverage of the field. Or, in the case of the Lobo turn up the Disc a bit (possibility miss the odd find) but dig less iron/coke, therefore covering more land & hopefully increase your good finds. Specially as you seem to have coke filled fields.
I agree with Cru about this Shaun. I always have troubles with cokes, even with the XP. Some machines now days can filter them out, but I would not use them, unless the whole darn field is full of cokes. I still like low discrimation.

Byt anyway do what I said about the digger, I would also increase the disc a bit for sure. When you learn more you can little by little lower it. Getting used to a dectector does take time, but you seem to be learning. Look at those faint signals when you can determine how deep they are.... and just dig dig dig now. That's why a good digger is very important....

Yes increase the speed of your digging, that is a good tip from Cru. Cokes are a problem but take them with you, they are light, and if you don't take them with you or throw them someplace where you will not find them again, you will continue to find them. That is important if on that field you find some nice things....

I totally agree, digging lots of rubbish has never bothered me & I have developed a quick recovery speed. Rubbish gone is less for next year.

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker
YOU ALWAYS HAVE OUTSTANDING POSTS. BEST OF LUCK. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread