Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been going to a 1798 house off and on for about 3 years now with mostly disappointing results. It's kept up real nice and is rented out occasionally by the owners for vacationing tourists, so there's a bit of modern debris there too. Two years ago I dug my first IHP there and a 3-ringer. I've got a couple of wheats out of there, but nothing real exciting. It's been gone over a million times by other guys, and there are multiple dump sites on the property (which is only about an acre). It's loaded with nails and there is a ton of garbage debris buried in the back yard.

Anyway, today a friend and I struck out at our first spot so we went there just hoping to pull something worthwhile. It's the first time I have been there with my 3030 and the first time he was there with his Etrac, and the first thing I found was a CW round ball on the surface where they had just dug to lay a new drainage pipe earlier this month. On the way to the truck at the end of the hunt I went into "screw it" mode and put on my big coil, high trash program, and jumped the sensitivity up to 30 manual. I heard a faint chirp in with some iron that was repeatable on every 2nd or 3rd pass and at 90 degrees, so we opened it up (it wouldn't pinpoint, so we cut the sod about 6" deep in a + shape about 2 feet wide, folded it back, and went down as far as the soil would let us. Certainly the largest plug I've dug (although I'm proud to say it was damn near pristine looking when we left). I hit a root about as thick as my arm at about 8" so we dug another plug out next to it so that we could tunnel under the root because that's where one of the signals was at. After each pass with the digger, the signal got clearer and was staying around 39-47 conductive with steady ferrous numbers.

Once under the root, I pulled out a handful of soil and found myself looking at a nice Matron Head variety large cent at a measured depth of 11". It's dateless and in bad shape, but it's period and I'll take it, and I rescanned and then pulled out four rusted nails in the same hole. I really wish I would have been confident enough that it wasn't a nail falsing that I would have played around with the settings a little to learn some more or else had my friend do the same with his Etrac to compare signals, but I didn't. It was so faint...I can't begin to imagine what else I've been passing over. I did have the presence of mind to check it with my primary program (GH settings in combined mode) and I would like to think I would have dug it with that too, but the iron grunts might have turned me off of it early. I think the tight pattern high trash mode really helped me out here.

Upvote 21

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
too bad after all that work and effort it turned out to be toasted. Great story and hope a nicer one or a nice silver will show it's face from that site. Thanks for posting

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That Machine of yours has magic powers. Congrats on the matron

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
too bad after all that work and effort it turned out to be toasted. Great story and hope a nicer one or a nice silver will show it's face from that site. Thanks for posting

Toasted or not, I'm not disappointed at all. I've been having some doubts about my abilities to interpret iffy signals with this detector since I got it and this taught me something. I've dug a dozen other large coppers in the past two years and several of those have been in fantastic shape, so I can be at peace with one like this that was hard to get to! I'm happy I can tell what it was at least - two others I have dug required heavy electrolysis to even figure out what they were (knowing that I am just going to put them in an album anyway, I don't really care on those truly toasted ones if they lose their patina to electrolysis).

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pays to wear a headset ... you have since 2005 damn , where have ya been hiding ?

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pays to wear a headset ... you have since 2005 damn , where have ya been hiding ?

Been around, made some good finds, but generally don't find anything worth posting! Figure 11 years' worth of finds to get even one that was banner-worthy a couple of weeks ago!

toolmanbutch

Aug 23, 2015
Upstate NY and Floridas East Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Bounty Hunter
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am still struggling with my CTX. I've heard you need about 100 hours to really master this machine. Would you be able to post your settings and a picture of your screen in Pattern 1?
Congrats,
Toolman Butch
I have been going to a 1798 house off and on for about 3 years now with mostly disappointing results. It's kept up real nice and is rented out occasionally by the owners for vacationing tourists, so there's a bit of modern debris there too. Two years ago I dug my first IHP there and a 3-ringer. I've got a couple of wheats out of there, but nothing real exciting. It's been gone over a million times by other guys, and there are multiple dump sites on the property (which is only about an acre). It's loaded with nails and there is a ton of garbage debris buried in the back yard.

Anyway, today a friend and I struck out at our first spot so we went there just hoping to pull something worthwhile. It's the first time I have been there with my 3030 and the first time he was there with his Etrac, and the first thing I found was a CW round ball on the surface where they had just dug to lay a new drainage pipe earlier this month. On the way to the truck at the end of the hunt I went into "screw it" mode and put on my big coil, high trash program, and jumped the sensitivity up to 30 manual. I heard a faint chirp in with some iron that was repeatable on every 2nd or 3rd pass and at 90 degrees, so we opened it up (it wouldn't pinpoint, so we cut the sod about 6" deep in a + shape about 2 feet wide, folded it back, and went down as far as the soil would let us. Certainly the largest plug I've dug (although I'm proud to say it was damn near pristine looking when we left). I hit a root about as thick as my arm at about 8" so we dug another plug out next to it so that we could tunnel under the root because that's where one of the signals was at. After each pass with the digger, the signal got clearer and was staying around 39-47 conductive with steady ferrous numbers.

Once under the root, I pulled out a handful of soil and found myself looking at a nice Matron Head variety large cent at a measured depth of 11". It's dateless and in bad shape, but it's period and I'll take it, and I rescanned and then pulled out four rusted nails in the same hole. I really wish I would have been confident enough that it wasn't a nail falsing that I would have played around with the settings a little to learn some more or else had my friend do the same with his Etrac to compare signals, but I didn't. It was so faint...I can't begin to imagine what else I've been passing over. I did have the presence of mind to check it with my primary program (GH settings in combined mode) and I would like to think I would have dug it with that too, but the iron grunts might have turned me off of it early. I think the tight pattern high trash mode really helped me out here.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I am still struggling with my CTX. I've heard you need about 100 hours to really master this machine. Would you be able to post your settings and a picture of your screen in Pattern 1?
Congrats,
Toolman Butch

How have you been struggling? I ask because maybe I can give you some tips. PM me if you feel so inclined...

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I am still learning the CTX, got it this last January, but I tend to err on the side of caution. I dig those iffy signals and usually do not get surprised.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent post.
You really earned that copper.
Looking forward to reading about your future experiences.

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats,
Toolman Butch

I can do that - but this pattern I was using when I dug this was one I've only started using this week so it's a little new to me. I almost always use GH (Evan)'s settings with combined audio. Like I said, I would like to believe that I would've dug this with those settings as well but I may have been put off by the iron, I dunno. The thing that caught my attention was that it showed up consistently (albeit BARELY) with the high trash settings I put in. I'm going out to do a major street tearout (hasn't seen the light of day since 1900) here in a little bit and I'll get a picture then.

As far as general settings I am currently going back and forth between these two:

Primary
Pattern 1: 2 lines discriminated out on bottom, 2 on the far right
Pattern 2: Wide Open
Response: Smooth
Audio: Combined
Fast: Off
Deep: On
GB: Off
Separation: Ground-Coin or Ferrous-Coin

Secondary (this one is just new to me this week) - this is the default High Trash setting with High Trash response in 50 Conductive audio. I'm still a little leery of missing something because there is SO MUCH discriminated out, but it's how I found this coin initially yesterday.

How have you been struggling? I ask because maybe I can give you some tips. PM me if you feel so inclined...

If you guys don't mind, post your questions here (don't worry about "hijacking" the thread or whatever) because I still have a lot of questions too and I'd like to hear what everyone has to say!

scavanau

Jul 7, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Ace-250, AT-Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW. I could have written this exactly, minus the part about pulling out anything. Think I need to give my big root signal another go. A moderately consistent 75 signal every 3rd pass on my AT Gold but after 10" and a huge root I'm unable to pinpoint anything.

Good job.

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would check it again. When I'm on a site that gets hit a lot or has been hit a lot I always get excited if I find a big root when I start on a good signal because a lot of people give up on those. I couldn't pinpoint anything with the detector initially but was able to find multiple targets with my actual pinpointer once I started digging. Four were nails, one was a coin!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love those faint yet solid signals. Sometimes I have to scratch my head and think "really!? How did I not dig this before!?".

I guess it wouldn't be fun if you dug ALL the good stuff in one sweep. That's why there's always hope at good locations.

Congrats on digging that sneaky coin.

scavanau

Jul 7, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Ace-250, AT-Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would check it again. When I'm on a site...

This would make the 3rd attempt at that root. Other roots make it near impossible but the 2Β’ piece dug up a few feet away keeps me interested.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I "ALWAYS" dig the faint signals. Sometimes it turns out to be a coin right at the detectors tip of the Depth Range. Another thing I do on sites like that is I take string and lay out a 10' x 10' grid pattern and just dig EVERYTHING. You will be AMAZED at what We really do miss because it sounds to iffy. My last find was a King George Copper dated 1744. I was psyched. I'm now a firm believer in digging ALL of the faint signals. Takes longer but it does pay off.
I think as time passes that the Manufacturers will eventually come out with detectors that will search even deeper and be more sensitive and ID accurate. But at least now you know why it's called Treasure Hunting, Not Treasure Giving.!!! PEACE:RONB :occasion14:

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another thing I do on sites like that is I take string and lay out a 10' x 10' grid pattern and just dig EVERYTHING. You will be AMAZED at what We really do miss because it sounds to iffy.

That sounds great in theory, but how do you do this without absolutely destroying the turf? In places where I feel like this would benefit me the plugs would all be overlapping each other and it would just shred the grass roots.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I hunt wide open, no descrim, 4 tone. I have the tone frequency set to actual music notes that harmonize the 4 tones. It's easier in the ear and sounds beautiful.

I run a custom program I concocted after about 400 hrs. If anyone want to try it let me know.

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt wide open, no descrim, 4 tone. I have the tone frequency set to actual music notes that harmonize the 4 tones. It's easier in the ear and sounds beautiful.

I run a custom program I concocted after about 400 hrs. If anyone want to try it let me know.

I'd like to take a look at it if you don't mind. I'm not real convinced of a silver bullet program out there but I'm curious to see what you have put together with so much time on it. I haven't found one I really like yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread