Fairgrounds- 1st go around

P

Pugsley6485

I went to the York County Fair Grounds here and did not have that much luck. I did not have that much time either, only about 30 mins or so. In that time I covered the front the part of where the old barn used to be at the grounds. Found 1 dime (1989) and 2 unknown hook objects. Don't know if they where for the doors to the barn or if they are pieces to the riding of horses. And 1 more thing... I really hate Tabs, now. Must have dug about 30 of the little buggers up.

Plan on going back tomorrow for about 3 hours and doing a little better search. If you know what these are let me know. I just don't know.

GL and HH.

Attachments

• Day4MD.jpg
    Day4MD.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 434
Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks Like they Both go Together as One.

Reminds Me of a Carrier for a Block of Ice.

Not shure Tho. Could They Have had Blocks of Sugar That Large ?

Good Luck Tomorrow.

I'll be Doing "GRATZ FAIR GROUNDS" :)

JEFF

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hmmmm

no idea but, keep us posted!

HH

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
How large are the hooks? Have to agree with jeff of pa they do look like they belong together. Let us know and good luck on your future digs.

KevGA

Jul 12, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett ACE 250
Well, not that I'd wish it on anyone but it's good to see that my fairgrounds weren't the only one with the garbage hex! I hit the Sarasota fairgrounds a few weeks ago and had pretty much the same experience: more bottlecaps, beercans and pulltabs than dirt in the ground. Messy people; gotta love 'em. This was the outlying parking lots, they were still breaking down so Icouldn't get on the grounds proper. Maybe I'll head back down and give it a whirl.

Hope you have better luck on the next trip!

OP
OP
P

Pugsley6485

The hooks are about 8 inches long, and no they dont belong toether. The breaks on them just dont match up. What it does look like is that they are the identical pieces on the same side of what ever they belong too. (They come from 2 diffrent pieces.)

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
Strange but cool finds,let us know what you find out and on your next trip.HH

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Jeff, you may be on the right track though. Could they be for carrying blocks of salt? Just a thought with livestock barn. Anyway, HH and best of luck.

N

NC Barefoot2

Not a bad day for you at all. I agree with an earlier post by Jeff of Pa. They look like ice block carriers from way, way back (50's)! At any rate, keep on keeping on! You had a great day, filled with energy.

NC Barefoot2

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
NC Barefoot2 said:
Not a bad day for you at all. I agree with an earlier post by Jeff of Pa. They look like ice block carriers from way, way back (50's)! At any rate, keep on keeping on! You had a great day, filled with energy.

NC Barefoot2
Now what's that way, way back (50's) comment. You make us sound ancient. ;D or antiquish. LOL

B

BEACH DIGGER

TRY THE OLD FAIRGROUNDS--- WHERE THE FAIRGROUNDS USED TO BE!! CHECK OLD RECORDS, OR ASK THE ELDERLY FOLKS.. I'VE VERY GOOD LUCK WITH THIS IDEA!!!

OP
OP
P

Pugsley6485

The old fairgrounds or now low income housing in the city. This has been the site of the fair since the 1800's. Today I saw a sign on 1 gate saying Metal Detectors prohibited on the grounds, but it was only one gate. So I dont know any more if they are allowed or not. I gotta check with the management, or just go in a diffrent gate where I did not see that sign.

I did however get to goto an old barn site from the 1850's. Found absolutly nothing there. Not even a pull tab, but I could not do the whole the building foundation because of the underbrush and growths on it. Any way, I'm hitting the beach this weekend when I go home. I pray to the Metal Detecting gods that something is there.

dfxdude

Jun 29, 2004
Wilmont, MN
Detector(s) used
White's DFX (2) V3i(1)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I check to find out where the "midway" rides are located, especially if it is on grass. I found a 1929 wheatie, a 1941 Merc. and a silver Roosie, all within a 10 sq. foot area of the county fairgrounds last summer. (Renville County, MN). It is away from where the concession booths are, which I found to be impossible to deal with for all the pull tabs and hard ground due to heavy foot traffic.

N

NC Barefoot2

;D? Stoney 56 don't worry too much.? We "should" be okay unless they turn the detectors on us!? If so, then we only have to make 'em dig real deep! Thanks for the laugh.? (((LOL)))

NC Barefoot2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions