Fake Toning

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had this peace dollar that was made into a fob. Since it was already altered and not collectible I thought I’d try to put some toning on it. A little research on you tube and this was my result. It was too easy. I think some of these supposedly natural toned coins are recent made fakes. Beware!
97362142-7207-4CAC-ABA6-9B3C9CE0A4AE.jpeg
997ADC7D-A18A-46B9-B87E-DF8BCC131E56.jpeg

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well what's the secret ? I used to put a silver coin, in a brown paper bag, and leave it on your dash board for the summer in the direct sun. The paper bag will start to break down, and this process either makes a beautiful rainbow 🌈 patina, or a blackish type of patina !! This was imported to me from huntsman frank !! Who used to post on t-net alot. For those of you who remember frank, he's doing fine, and we still text from time to time !!

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Artificially toned coins, although much more pleasant looking than a cleaned coin, are easy to tell from naturally toned coins. People are sometimes shocked their coin sent in for authentication comes back labeled artificially toned--the owner never even knew it wasn't natural, but once you're used to seeing them it's not difficult to tell...at least in person.

Silver tarnishes very easily, you just need an oxidizer. Bleach works but it's usually very obvious, so does sealing it in a container with a smashed hard boiled egg--also easy to tell. I'm sure there are a lot more ways but I don't know of any that don't looked 'forced'.

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used a commercial toning solution called liver of sulphur I got from Amazon. I cleaned coin with MS-70 coin cleaner then dipped coin in solution of toning fluid and hot water. It took maybe 2 seconds to get get color. Rinse and done.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread