Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All ye who hear! Post your fake finds here! I got this fake Netherlands Daadler on Coin Beach, Delaware a few years ago. Weighs 19.98 grams, but I'm pretty sure it's a reproduction! I posted about it once upon a time ago. Boy, it had me going for awhile. At least I think it's a fake. IMG_0871.JPG

Upvote 12

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So you think it was made in China your probably right and then its plated brass ... In the Philippines all the coins i cut in half are always solid not plated they only have crude dies and not much equipment plating to costly ...the gold bars are crude some plated but the chinese ones are very hard to tell without drilling or cutting in half ...many ebay bars and coins are fake chinese

When I dug this item it was "silverish" looking. When I cleaned it the silver color disappeared and the brassy color came out.

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok because in all the photos it looks silver color i never seen brass color....thanks for pointing this out am so old i thought i was losing it

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20190929_202820.jpg just a few from the many fantasy cobbs that my 6 year old pirate son hasn't carried off in conquest or reburied in the yard !! Here in Florida you will find one eventually !!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cute story. My one daughter when she was little "borrowed" some coins from my pocketbook. She decided to bury them in the yard to keep her sister from finding them. About 4 years ago or so, whenever it was, my buddy came over and we found a wad of clad in the yard. We didn't have any big parties there or anything, and I asked my kids (now old kids) if they knew anything about it. That's when the "Becca Squirrel" confessed!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back about 1982, as an excitable young treasure hunter, I dug these up. They were black and tarnished and looked every bit the real deal. I thought I had true treasure until a few years later I finally got the nerve up to try to clean them a bit. Thats when I found the "copy" stamp in one and then found the cast ridge on the edges of the others. I've been hunting for "reale" ones ever since.

8reales-small.jpg

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31โ€ Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I have 2 fake cobbs, an advertising 8 reales and a fake pine tree shilling knocking around somewhere

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never found a modern fake of something old, but I have found King George coppers that I believe are period counterfeits.

Funny story about counterfeit coins... My buddy detected a cellar hole last month and found a counterfeit seated half dollar I believe from 1860. He went back the next week and found another seated half dollar, but this time it was real one from 1876! I guess the people who lived there had a lot of money, he also found like 3 shield nickles and somewhere around 10 Indians.

_muppet_

Nov 11, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20170317_202638.jpg

20170317_202702.jpg

Dug that some years ago in a forest with some history. Was pumped until I cleaned it enough to read copy.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was given a Spanish silver 4 Reale for a present, they were so proud of their inexpensive purchase. I knew in an instant it was fake (weight, thickness...etc.), since two years before I dug a real 4-Reale.

Oddly enough the the front and back of the coin was spot on, probably a great Chinese fake :dontknow:!

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
This is the kind of fake I like to find.
Contemporary circulating counterfeit 1752 GII halfpenny in high lead pewter.
HH all. GII CFT 1 1752 (10).jpg GII CFT 1 1752 (15).jpg

snaps

May 6, 2009
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Goldmaxx, Compass GSP, Garrett Infinium
Only fakes Ive seen dug were reenactment civil war buttons, thankfully they were pretty dang obvious!!

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jp1.jpg jp2.jpg This one had me for a minute. Was actually buried in a yard.

caretaker

Jan 20, 2008
Maine
Detector(s) used
2-XLT, AT Pro, CZ20, E-Trac, Excal II, GTI 1500, 250, BH 101, HH Diver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dug these on a beach, there are 4 of them, couldn't find the other one when I took the pic, it was still in my pouch, got 2 more 6 totalfrom other beaches cob2.JPG

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the Park (now closed), occasionally someone will find a replica coin placed there for us to find...

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Electricbutter, I'd say that's a contemporary counterfeit. As such it is actually worth something!

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I actually have a video on fake ancient artifacts. It really annoys me that they can get away with that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread