"False" Gold is Solid Gold Find

tigerbeetle

Jan 2, 2009
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Many -- Fisher, White's, Minelab, Cobra, others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bit off a bit more than expected this week while digging a reading when my new Fisher F75 sounded off in a golden way.

Based on sound alone, I expected a smallish find. Instead, I hit yet another freakishly large and toothy find. Years back I made a similarly spooky CSI-ish unearthing. This go'round, I wasn't quite as freaked as I slowly exposed what amounted to essentially half a smile's worth of, uh, treasure. The solid gold tooth made me smile.

Hey, you take gold where you find it -- though I'd still prefer the likes of nuggets and jewelry. As most folks know, dental gold is, well, golden. It is a very high karat
goldtooth.jpg
Sidebar: You might wonder why someone would get a gold tooth built into fake teeth. My guess is the wearer had formerly had a gold tooth in his/her mouth and didn't want to draw attention to needing false teeth, a bit of a social stigma. That's a little CSI-ing on my part.

Upvote 3

SilverPirate

Dec 23, 2012
Boerne Tx.
Detector(s) used
New Minelab E-Trac with Sunray probe, Garrett Ace 350, Teknetics Delta, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, cool find.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmmmmm...........Whats up with you and false teeth? You been forgeting where your burying the Bodies? lol
Cool find,well nice fin.....Well thats just weird!...............:dontknow:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tigerbeetle,

Well oddball finds are my favorite and that one certainly fits the bill....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

Michellets

Nov 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Ace 250 Big and Small coils, AT-Pro
Some of the older dentures were constructed using 24kt gold... that one looks a bit more modern. I just can't understand how someone could lose a set of teeth... was it found in a park, or at a beach?

AnnieF

Jul 26, 2012
Western NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm no expert, but haven't we learned from t.v. that teeth - even dentures - can be i.d.'d? I mean, you might help identify a missing person, you know? I'd get some advice first, but you might consider taking it to the local police station - could be a great relief to someone who loves a missing person...

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold is gold!

webatch

Nov 4, 2012
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Compass Challenger X-80
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just can't understand how someone could lose a set of teeth... was it found in a park, or at a beach?

Same thing I was thinking! How can you loose your teeth and not immediately know it? Just tell me you weren't digging in the grave yard!

Hmm that reminds me I have a dentist appointment in the morning.

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD Sunray FX1 Probe Minelab X Terra 705 Garrett pro-pointer Whites Prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
webatch said:
Same thing I was thinking! How can you loose your teeth and not immediately know it? Just tell me you weren't digging in the grave yard!

May have been from a blonde lmao

Last edited:
OP
OP
tigerbeetle

tigerbeetle

Jan 2, 2009
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Many -- Fisher, White's, Minelab, Cobra, others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This set was all by its lonesome, in a wooded area, not buried very deep down. The area has been a deer hunters' haven for literally hundreds of years. Ancient wooden deer stands still hang all over the place.

Dentist says they're fairly old, as in the 1930s -- based on style and red bakelite-type material of the red part. Talk about a cold-case ...

By the by, the dentist suggested they seemed "fully functional," as far as their condition. What's more, even back in the day you didn't just chuck gold. He also said he can't count the number of patients who lose dentures, mainly by taking them out and misplacing them.

I picture an old hunter pulling them-there blasted teeth out and tucking them into his plaid jacket upper pocket, maybe to wait more comfortably in a deer stand. Then, when he was hiking out -- or maybe dragging out a kill -- he got warm, took off the jacket, threw it over his shoulder and that was that. Hey, it's a theory, you know, something to chew on.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the older dentures were constructed using 24kt gold... that one looks a bit more modern. I just can't understand how someone could lose a set of teeth... was it found in a park, or at a beach?
Back in the mid 70s, I was on detachment in Bermuda, a bunch of us went to a beach for the day, a couple of guys took a peddle boat out a ways when it began to sink, someone on shore saw it and began to scream "SHARK" the guys in the paddle boat heard this and started screaming for help when one of them screamed so much his teeth fell out into the water. I did some diving in the area to try and find them but no luck. It was really funny at the time though, some times your teeth just fall out. LOL
Thanks for the memory,
ZDD

dieselfool

Dec 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it interesting that someone would include a real gold tooth in a set of dentures. Talk about somebody literally putting his money where his mouth is!

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD Sunray FX1 Probe Minelab X Terra 705 Garrett pro-pointer Whites Prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You said a mouth full lol

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JT1080

Sep 17, 2012
Santa Clarita
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow... That's comical. Not sure what to think if I dug those up.

seekandfind

Jul 7, 2012
northwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 101/505
ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Going back to try and find the other half? There may be more gold there or a body. Good find but kinda gross, that is until I find my own set of gold teeth,lol. HH

chkn

Apr 12, 2010
Fella musta been fairly welll to do by the looks of it. They kinda look like real teeth. Is that how they did it back then? There must be all kinds of stuff out there!

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gold is where you find it and you found it. Makes no differencs what form, shape,size,condition or color....nice find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread