Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That response confused me, Okie Hillbillies.

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Great Great Great Great Grandmother was tried and convicted of being a witch in Salem , MA . Her trial was July 28 , 1692 . Her name was Mary Perkins Bradbury . I believe she was the only accused witch that did not get executed .

many years ago , Grandmother gave me this Genealogical book covering the complete history of the Bradbury side of my family , descendants going back to 1422.
It has several pages of testimony from her trial .

If you ever want to see a good movie on the Salem Witch Trials - check out "Three Sovereigns for Sarah" (1985) youtube has a few clips . I would of posted one , but they are quite graphic .

Attachments

• bradburt 003.jpg
    bradburt 003.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 362
  • bradburt.jpg
    bradburt.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 350
  • bradburt 001.jpg
    bradburt 001.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 349
  • bradburt 002.jpg
    bradburt 002.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 353
OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Some real good ones so far! Keep 'em comin'!

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My ancestors came here as pilgrims, attended the church in Salem Mass. during the witch trials (they supported the accused), at least 2 Rev soldiers, one being a Captain Robert Higgins of Virginia. He fought in Germantown and was captured and held prisoner of war for three years. He moved to Ohio and founded the town of White Haven, now Higginsport. His daughter married Thomas L. Hamer, a prominent Ohio lawmaker. He appointed Ulysses S. Grant to West Point and was the person who accidentally put "Ulysses" instead of "Hiram." He commanded Butlers division after his death in the Mexican-American War. He later died of disease shortly after the war ended. There is a town named after him in Ohio as well. There is much more, but that is the interesting stuff

HH
-GC

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
mojjax,
Thanks for the info on the witch trials. I will check out the movie clips. I read the complete court transcripts of the trials because I found out I had many ancestors living in the Salem area at the time. My mother's maiden name was Cole.
Sarah Davis Cole was married to a direct ancestor of mine, and her sister in law, Sarah Cole, who would be a direct ancestor. I would have to dig out my research papers to get all the facts.
I believe they were both accused of being a witch and arrested 1682. Trials were on June 28, and Sept. 10, 1692. I know one was acquitted and maybe both were.
I read all of this on line. It was quite long but was very interesting. I copied any information pertaining to my family and saved it someplace.

Clayton

swampgal

May 3, 2008
G, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic III
On my mothers side she was a Woodall- through Dr. john Woodall of England. And my great grandfather was a horse-thief.
My Uncle Woody Woodall was in the Marines- World war 2 lost battalion, mentioned in the book the secret camera.
From the Dyer, Smith- Riley side I have back passed Mary Barrett Seymore- and William Dyer.

On the McClinton-Anderson-McCafferty side lots of history.

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida
my G grandmother was a Younger from Ky kin to all those outlaws. My GGG?granfather motherside was Gen Coffee and Coffee county Ga is named after him. My fathers side we have a Fort Capron named after his relative. We have a Capron Ill.( my last name) a Capron W.V a Capron OK. THere`s an author name Thomas Capron who wrote a few books, one of them is "white moccasins" about cracker life here in early 1800 Fl.
Then we have Capt. Allyn Capron , born here in Tampa and was a ROugh Rider with Lt. Colonel Teddy Roosevelt in the Spanish American war

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Great-Great Uncle was the President of a local bank & a shareholder in the Ar Western RR, the town of Bates AR was on the route, & bears his name.
Another relative by the name of Lt. Rye, fought in the Mexican war.
Some of my relatives were 49ers, coming back to Ar with a little cedar box full of Gold, they were 'stowaways' on a ship coming from Holland when they were boys.

Fossis............

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a brother that is a famous comic book artist, he has drawn for Marvel, DC and National comics, drawing some of the most legendary characters. Due to privacy I choose to not reveal his name...

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Maternal line Benjamin Franklin was a brother of my ancestor. Thought i was related to CSA General Stand Watie BUT although his wife had the same name and birth state as my grand mother they had different birth years and dates. Paternal side president Grover Cleveland and one of George Washington's aides. siegfried schlagrule

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
My grandfather , O.C. Collier , had a general store and gas station in Dugspur VA during the time that
sugar and Mason jar purchases had to be logged for the 'Revenoorer's' inspection . A redhot Republican in a Democrat county , Grandaddy signed out all the sugar and jars to Democrats .
Curtis Turner was a regular customer of his , either picking up supplies for the family business or needing some of that good Texaco high test to fill his tank to make a delivery .
Many future NASCAR greats bought fuel there when they were dirt track racing in local pasturefields
prior to sanctioned racing .

Lil Nick

Mar 6, 2008
South Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
My father played on the winning world amateur basketball team in 1954. They won the championship in South America after winning the U. S title in Denver. He played for the Peoria Caterpillars. He was named to the all world team and lead their team in scoring in the tournament. He did not talk about it a lot and did not display all of the medals and news clippings about the event. All 5 of his children and the neighbors all knew about it but it wasn't something that he bragged a lot about. Latter in his life when the New Orleans Hornets were relocated to Oklahoma City I made contact with their p r person and they invited my dad to come to a game and meet Chris Paul who was later named the rookie of the year. They also recognized him during the second quarter of the game and put him on the big screen at the Ford Center. He was also presented an autographed basket ball from Chris Paul. That was one of the biggest thrills he has in his latter years besides all the grandchildren and great grand children that came along. He passed away last year after battling diabetes and renal failure for almost 25 years. You can google his name Kirby Minter and find out more about an amazing man, my dad. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

paratrooper

Sep 20, 2004
Kingman AZ
My maternal grandfather worked on The Manhattan Project . His job was to make it go "BOOM" at just the right altitude . Many folks in Hiroshima and Nagasaki will attest to his abilities .

veronasteve

Mar 22, 2008
been told my grandfathers brother(both now dead) moved to the states and became charlie chaplins pianist but i can't say this true for certain.....my american friend here in italy is a direct decendent of john wilkes-booth (lincolns assasin) on his fathers side.....also being half vietnamese he was on one of the last choppers leaving saigon(us embassy) he said he remembers him and his sister being photographed in the phillipines by time magazine.

Rich in Texas

Jun 23, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MXT X2, Exploder, and Classic III
A relative in 1839 is the one who wrote the saying "The pen is mightier than the sword" for one of his plays. Our line of the family also were original colonists in Jamestown.

Okie Hillbillies

Mar 4, 2007
RGINN said:
That response confused me, Okie Hillbillies.

RGINN. I was in three movies as extra's and one ad as the main one. North and

South, Blue and Grey, and Pass the Ammo where I shot at a robber trying to rob

my store. and as the main one in the Drexel,Burnman,Lambert ad.

OkieHillBillie.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich in Texas said:
A relative in 1839 is the one who wrote the saying "The pen is mightier than the sword" for one of his plays. Our line of the family also were original colonists in Jamestown.

Hmmm...
I always thought that was Shakespeare....

But after a cursory search, I see that I was in error.
I have learned something new today!
Thanks, Friend!

"The pen is mightier than the sword" is a metonymic adage coined by English author Edward Bulwer-Lytton in 1839 for his play Richelieu"

Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread