Family Farm

aerograd

Jul 10, 2007
Huntsville, AL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Here is a doctored google map image of a relative's farm. I have added some powerpoint callouts denoting where key points are located on the property. I don't see any unusual geographical features from the satellite image. However, based on the arrowheads that have been found there and the history of the homesites on the property, I expect there should be alot of finds. Porbably mostly 150 years worth of junk, but maybe some good stuff too. Anyone have advice as to where to start to tackle these sites? Or other tips? Thanks!

---Donny

Attachments

• Farm_Enhanced_01.jpg
    Farm_Enhanced_01.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 814

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
I would take a four wheeler and a GPS to record any favorable spots, start at the area with the springs and do some recon. Either up and down the creek going a little further into the woods each time or making a wagon wheel type grid from the springs toward the farm house. May also want to mark trees with orange florescent ribbons near any favorable sites. Then I would go back and start hitting those spots.

Lafitte

Apr 20, 2007
Western NC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Sore Legs
Is the possible 1800's site on the highest elevation on the land? You might look for the old foundation or younger tree growth. The areas around where the arrowheads and pistol barrels look to have been tilled at some point. Might be some goodies near the surface.
I agree with Tin Nugget on the springs, and would check for any nice bends in the stream. And of course, outhouses are good to find.

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
the springs (if big enough) may have been swimming holes...go to the most convienient on to each homesite. People may have left stuff behind.

Also, if you know or can figure out how the houses used to sit check where the front porch used to be. Stuff that had fallen through the cracks in the boards would have been long forgotten about by the time the house was knocked down.

Good luck bud!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread