Family heirloom lost

namaskar

Nov 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have misplaced/lost a family heirloom and I am heartbroken. It's a treasured silver necklace with several "keys" on it. My Mother bought it in Denmark over 20 years ago. It's a very unusual piece of jewelry and my Mom loves it. She asked me to have it repaired for her and I brought it back to my apartment. I'm ashamed to admit it but I don't know where I put it after that. I have looked EVERYWHERE for it. The apartment is old and maybe it just fell somewhere in the cracks. I'd like to try and find it, please tell me what kind of metal detection device should I rent/purchase? Obviously, this would be for indoor use, please advise. I am a graduate student and don't have lots of money $$$ so please keep that in mind! Many thanks!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About the only detector you can use indoors in a modern building, is a pin pointer. If it has keys on it, it's unlikely if fell through a crack.....unless it's one heck of a crack! Start by sitting down with your favorite beverage and slowly go step by step through the time line where you know you had it until you discovered it was missing. Actually walk yourself on the same path you took and what you were carrying, setting down, moving, etc. Don't forget trips to the fridge, bathroom, outside to get the mail/paper, etc. I've done many house searches but I find a detector is of limited use. Going through laundry and trash is about the only area where one helps. The rest of the search mainly needs a good pair of eyes and some thought. I found the best piece of equipment to aid in the search is an inspection camera. I got one at Harbor Freight and it works great! I got the better one they sell which was on sale for around $120 or so. It's invaluable in searching grates, vents, drains, and any other area where you can't see good. Good Luck!

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Check in the couches and chairs underneath.
Pick them up one end at a time and see if you hear anything.
If you do,turn them over.
There is a piece of cloth covering them,but unhook a couple of the staples at the corners and see if they are there.
With keys on it they should be easy to locate. Check your jewelry box again.
Try and remember if you put it in something and then put that some where in a drawer or something. Like you may have put it in an envelope.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
namaskar:

Check the pockets of your clothing - coats, sweaters, etc. And check your purses and bags. Do you have any piles of newspapers, magazines, unpaid bills (I certainly do!) or similar areas? Carefully check through those.

You brought it home from being repaired, you set it down somewhere out of the way, and you will find it!

When you search your apartment (I don't think a metal detector is going to help) there is a tendency for people to look in the same "likely" places several times and not move on to "new" possible locations. You must be calm and systematic in your hunt, room by room.

When he was little our son was hyperactive. But you couldn't beat him at "hide 'n' seek." Other kids run from room to room. He would be very methodical, searching every part of each room and not moving on until it had been covered. I couldn't win!

Hope you find it!

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Yep, things can get lost really easy. I bought a temporary phone for my visit back to the States, and three days later, couldn't find it. I assumed it was in the house, and looked all the obvious places.

I called it several times a day, hoping someone had found it and would answer. I had it on vibrate for church. Three days later, the battery shut off, so voice mail error message came on the first ringie-dingie.

One day my wife walked into the back bedroom, a place I 'never' go. There it was on the floor in plain sight. She had asked me to go in there to look at the vacuum cleaner to see which bags it needed, and I forgot about that trip into that room. sigh!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread