Family Property is Older then we thought! Coppers, Silver and Relics!

BeenFishin

Apr 19, 2016
Eastern Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro Detech Ultimate 13"
Whites V3i
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So my family is in the process of fixing the foundation on our grandparents house. It supposedly dates back to the 1850s and I have found a few old coppers, indian head pennies, wheats, and mercs there before any construction was done. On Thursday 7/18 my friend called me and said that someone was digging up the front and back yard around the house. I was excited, left work about an hour early and headed home to try to save some history. When i got there the crew had left but they cleared about a foot or two around the whole house. I hit the front yard and found a sweet New York State Artillery Button from 1820s-1835 made by Robinson Jones & Co., several indian head pennies, and the last target in the front was a big copper slug that i can just make out the outline of liberty with cap. Hit the side yard up to where the crew left the excavator and found a 1813 Largie. That kinda wrapped it up for day one. I thought it was a pretty good haul considering that i was only there for an hour.
I went back with a friend on monday 7/22 and he picked up a 1854 large cent. I found another indian head, a 1866 shield nickel, a 1896 V Nickel, a KG III, and what i believe to be a half reale with no details. All those targets were around the area that the excavator was sitting on the previous time.
Then it poured for a day and the crew installed the steel beams in the basement and moved the dirt around so i went back again yesterday (Wednesday 7/24) after work. Picked up a 1923 Merc and a stunning 1787 Connecticut Copper! Also im including a picture of all the buttons and other relics i found while there that i didnt mention above. Im gonna keep an eye on the property and see what happens. We havent found the bottle dump yet either.....to be continued...

TimsPics_115.JPG

Lantern Part, Old Lock, Old Bottle Neck, A couple buckles, some pipe stems, a weird thing that im thinking is either an old irrigation tip or cigar holder for smoking it because the angled tips are fluted and seem to be made of similar clay to the pipe stems, Boy Scouts neck thing, a corner to an old shoe buckle frame, copper thimble, some weird watch winder thing?, and a whole butt load of buttons. If you look closely there are two exact buttons that say "RICH ORANGE".

TimsPics_120.JPG
TimsPics_117.JPG

Its a 1820s-1835 New York State Artillery Button. It says "Excelcior" on the top, "N.Y.S.A." in the Banner, "National Guard" on the bottom and "Robinson Jones & Co A" on the back. Found the button info on http://www.georgewashingtoninaugura...ious-state-militia-buttonsinfantry-artillery/

TimsPics_123.JPG
TimsPics_122.JPG

Super sweet 1787 CT Copper. Date is sooooooo visible, not like the pesky KG III below.

TimsPics_125.JPG
TimsPics_126.JPG

1866 Shield Nickel with Rays and Stars!

TimsPics_127.JPG
TimsPics_128.JPG

The Four Big Coppers. 1813 top Left, KG III Top Right, Liberty with Cap no date bottom Left, CT Copped Bottom Right.

TimsPics_129.JPG
TimsPics_130.JPG

Shield again, 1896 V Nickel, 1862, 1882, 1905, 1880 Indians, most likely a half reale, and a 1923 Merc.

Upvote 48

How Lucky

Jul 14, 2015
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great collection of artifacts. Keep up the good work.

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stunningly good stuff! I can only hope to be on a site that amazing! Excellent work!

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! I would be over-the-top thrilled to find all that over the course of a few years, let alone a few days! Nice post;great finds. Congrats!

OP
OP
BeenFishin

BeenFishin

Apr 19, 2016
Eastern Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I would be over-the-top thrilled to find all that over the course of a few years, let alone a few days! Nice post;great finds. Congrats!

Thanks! It helps when they take a couple feet off the top soil of pre 1800s houses.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy crap are you serious wow gotta be a gold coin in there I would tell the Grandparents that as a gift Im going to put in some new grass gotta tear out the old first then pillage for a week or to lay down some new seed and everyones happy lol Amazing finds

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Argh! Gasp! A whole collection you've got there! And the stuff is in great shape!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the Button the best.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on your finds BF. :thumbsup:
This is an interesting looking sash buckle.

Dave

Attachments

• TimsPics_115-crop.JPG
    TimsPics_115-crop.JPG
    253.8 KB · Views: 47

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, wow, nice hunts with awesome finds. Congrats:occasion14:

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice finds and to be possibly lost by a relative? Priceless family history there!

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dream hunt! Congratulations! I have one of those 1866 shield nicks. A thrill to dig!

OP
OP
BeenFishin

BeenFishin

Apr 19, 2016
Eastern Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy crap are you serious wow gotta be a gold coin in there I would tell the Grandparents that as a gift Im going to put in some new grass gotta tear out the old first then pillage for a week or to lay down some new seed and everyones happy lol Amazing finds

My grandparents are no longer with us but my family still owns the property and we want to keep it for generations to come. The foundation needs to be fixed and because of that they took a lot of dirt off the top of the yard.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread