Famous bank robberies or stage coach heist

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know of any of these legendary heist where to loot was never discovered or recovered, obviously coins but paper money. Listen you historians old enough to no or your grandfather must have had a old tale that was told but not taken seriously. Honestly there’s money from especially earlier times because of no security like today it was easy to rob and hide. Anyone care to share a story u told.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I often wondered about stories like that, but also the possibilities of what may have happened to some or most of the loot. You have to think in todays times for way back then. It would seem there would be dishonest and corrupt people back then as they are today.

Let's say a robbery or gold shipment was looted. Robbers on the run with the loot. Sheriffs, Marshalls, or a small posse goes out after them. Lets say even it is 2-3 robbers and the Sheriff and only a Deputy, (providing the Sheriff didn't go alone), goes after them. Sheriff located the robbers, gunfight ensues, robbers gets killed. Now it is only the Sheriff or/and his Deputy. The Sheriff says, "We don't get paid much and we can split this loot and live pretty nice!" "We can say we killed the robbers in the gun battle and never found any of the money no one will know and we can just act like we looked around for the loot but without success!" If the Sheriff goes out alone who would know if he didn't pocket the money after he killed the robbers? You have to think about how the times were back then and how people lived. It's kind of like, if you were getting paid $20 a month lets say, you went out after some robbers who stole $500, you found the robbers and killed them in a gun battle. Would you turn over $500? Keep half of it and say that is what they had after you killed them? Or keep it all and say they didn't have it and you never found it? $500 back then was a lot of money!

I have wondered about most of the lost loot and stage robberies. I also speculate that some of the robbers probably spent a majority of the money when they did steal it if they got away! But over time, some of the stories could be exaggerated!

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really good points, thankyou

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread