May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't say this is the first hunt of the year because Cru'dad did a sneaky 1.5 hour hunt in a field near his home. It was in amongst an area of failed oil-seed rape. He only had the Medieval strap-end pictured.
Today after a week of gale force winds & lots of rain we did an ankle breaker for 4 hours. I had to cut it short as it was jarring my knee to much. However, we did twice as well as we expected at this site. Its named after Land-Mags dog who discovered it. Its the living settlement attached to our Roman Metal Working Site.

24 Roman Coins (3 good ones)
Broken 1st C AD Roman Fibula (Brooch)
Lots of Roman Pot Shards
Medieval Strap-end (Found yesterday)

A very solid start to the year.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    214.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    171.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 76
Upvote 26

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After all that rain the last weeks it's a good time to look for pottery. :icon_thumleft: Nice coins too! A really good start for sure.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great start to the 2018 season, thanks for sharing! :notworthy:

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes indeed, great start to 2018---Happy new year

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks promising. Lots of copper so hopefully you’ll sniff out your first denarius of the year. Nice

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice start Cru. I like the looks of the three "nice" Romans.
Again "It was in amongst an area of failed oil-seed rape". I have always wondered what the heck is Oil Seed Rape, and why does it fail so often? It's not a crop I am familiar with.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Great finds. I am betting it is near impossible due to variety and condition, but how do you put a monetary value on these coins? Or do you? I would probably start my own Roman coin horde but would be curious if I was sitting on a fortune. Blows my mind the things you guys find over there. Good job.

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Garrett GTI 2500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice start. 24 coins is not bad :tongue3:
What about the pottery! Do you collect them even when they are just pieces. I find a lot of Helenic and Pre but I don't know what to do with them.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As usual, amazing hunt! Your 2018 season sure looks promising. Great bronze coins, especially the lower one in the pic.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After all that rain the last weeks it's a good time to look for pottery. :icon_thumleft: Nice coins too! A really good start for sure.
Yes, this is the most we have found in this area.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks promising. Lots of copper so hopefully you’ll sniff out your first denarius of the year. Nice
We were discussing this however this site has hardly any silver, its all in the metal working area. Also this settlement grow up in the late period, so a denarius is highly unlikely. The only options are a debased Ant. or Siliqua, both a possibility but a long shot.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice start Cru. I like the looks of the three "nice" Romans.
Again "It was in amongst an area of failed oil-seed rape". I have always wondered what the heck is Oil Seed Rape, and why does it fail so often? It's not a crop I am familiar with.
Oil-seed rape has become a very common sight in our area, its oil has many uses;
Bio-fuel
Animal Feed
Oil used in many food products

Although its one of the highest yields per acre it does suffer from beetle attack when the seed shoots & pigeon attack when growing, it also needs the right amount of water at the right times. This leads to some fields becoming patchy. We keep an eye out for these patches & hope that they turn up on a good field.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. I am betting it is near impossible due to variety and condition, but how do you put a monetary value on these coins? Or do you? I would probably start my own Roman coin horde but would be curious if I was sitting on a fortune. Blows my mind the things you guys find over there. Good job.
Roman coins were made in the millions very few have any value at all.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice start. 24 coins is not bad :tongue3:
What about the pottery! Do you collect them even when they are just pieces. I find a lot of Helenic and Pre but I don't know what to do with them.
Pottery pieces are an important part of the Archaeological puzzle. We collect them from each site & save them for future evidence. If we do an Archie dig they can pick up important date clues & other functions of the site from what we have collected.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As usual, amazing hunt! Your 2018 season sure looks promising. Great bronze coins, especially the lower one in the pic.
Its a really good one & its a London mint (we don't have that many).

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oil-seed rape has become a very common sight in our area, its oil has many uses;
Bio-fuel
Animal Feed
Oil used in many food products

Although its one of the highest yields per acre it does suffer from beetle attack when the seed shoots & pigeon attack when growing, it also needs the right amount of water at the right times. This leads to some fields becoming patchy. We keep an eye out for these patches & hope that they turn up on a good field.

I believe it's the same crop as ''canola'' in North America.

Last edited:

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your finds never cease to amaze me! I shout for joy when I find a shotgun shell that's 100 years old and you're digging genuine antiquities! Thank you for sharing your finds, as your posts allow me to live vicariously through you.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Strong showing of finds for the start of the season, liking the three crisp ones for sure.

First time I ever heard of term I did a double take. " The field is planted in rape but it's ok to detect on" Then somebody gave me the NA translation of Canola.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread