Farm field gives up my best condition dug button

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went to a local farm field today for an evening hunt. Getting any signal above iron on the property is a challenge but this button rang in loud and clear! Sounded like a large cent and the numbers locked in a hair under a US copper.

About 6-7" down after folding the plug back this beauty lied there awaiting to be plucked out of its hibernation. This is easily the most detailed and unharmed button I've ever dug. After a light, quick scratch with a toothpick more and more details came
through...

Also dug up a pendant of some sort that was a squeaker of a signal. Looks like it could be old and had some gold plating at one time. Overall I'm thrilled with the hunt! GL HH y'all!

20180224_223605.jpg
20180224_223631.jpg
20180224_223246.jpg
20180224_223317.jpg

Upvote 19

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice Great Seal button. Can you read the backmark? It looks like ????pex products corp. and that is about all I can make out. Could it be Rex Products Corp. New Rochelle NY?

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That pendant is pretty cool, not seen one but I think I know whats going on.

By the early 19th C Seal fobs that went on the chains of fob watches had become more fashion (Bling) than function. So much so, that many of the had no incised decoration on the base of the seal. (Completely useless).
I think your pendant that is clearly copying a type of 19th C Seal, is the final evolution of this trend. The seal had now become pure decoration/jewelry. So I would date it to 1850-1880s.

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That pendant is pretty cool, not seen one but I think I know whats going on.

By the early 19th C Seal fobs that went on the chains of fob watches had become more fashion (Bling) than function. So much so, that many of the had no incised decoration on the base of the seal. (Completely useless).
I think your pendant that is clearly copying a type of 19th C Seal, is the final evolution of this trend. The seal had now become pure decoration/jewelry. So I would date it to 1850-1880s.

Awesome! I thought it looked like it had a little age anyways. Thanks for the info Crusader.

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a nice Great Seal button. Can you read the backmark? It looks like ????pex products corp. and that is about all I can make out. Could it be Rex Products Corp. New Rochelle NY?

I need to clean it up some more to get a positive ID on that part. I always have trouble making out the back marks. Lol.

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice looking Great Seal Button. That thing looks like it just came from the manufacturer !

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful button recovery! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread