Farm Field Hunting

~MetalDigger~

Oct 20, 2007
North Carolina
Is their any way to tell about how long an area has been used for Corn, Soybeans, Tabaco, ect? I know theirs this one little soybean field a brisk walk behind where I live. It seems to have been made in the past 10-15 years something lick that. The fild is pretty rocky, all ove, and theirs piles of tree stumps pushed up where where it was cleared. They apear to have been their for some years, just guessing.
The other fields all around my neck of the woods in lots, and lots of huge fields. Anywhere from 20 arcres on up in size.
These have no sighns of timering, or clearing so they muct be pretty old. I was hoping spome of you may have a rule of thumb about guessing the age of the cleared land, and how long it has been farmed, and maybe know of the lickly hood of their being finds worth looking for.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live out here among the corn fields and want to md on some spots. The lone oak tree in the field, the path to the creek along the fence row, the valley that doesn't get plowed. Less pulltabs I hope. Maybe not, won't know till you hunt!!

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up on a very old plantation in Va. and there are a few places in the woods where you can still see the corn rows. Of coarse they would have been very labor intensive and been made by slaves. My only point is not all good fields are wide open.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe someone that spends 90% of their time field hunting should answer this question. :D

Someone said up above--Get out there and hunt it all. Another said "hunt Smarter, not harder." Both of these replies are true in a sense, and also false in a sense too. The NJ hunter always has an excellent chance at any open land. The hunter in Indiana will find that unless there was a site there, they will have little to dig but the occasional soda can. But it will take familiarizing yourself with your area in terms of metal detecting in order to know which is which--and the true answer for most detectorists in the Americas is somewhere in the middle. If I'd only hunted the obvious spot, I would've missed these--and many other great finds I've made in close to 20 years:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,153203.0.html

I just got permission to hunt another 700 acres here. I am not going to try and wave my searchcoil over every inch of land. But I am also not going to just look on the plat maps and only hunt the sites that were there 100 years ago. I am going to look at the deeds to the land, I'm going to look at the natural features of the land, and I am going to spend as much time eyeballing as I do listening for beeps as I go. If folks want to only hunt the plat map structures--Good! That leaves more for me! I will gladly take all the early 1800s and late 1700s sites and folks can have at the 1880s ones. :wink:

But in all seriousness, this takes practice. I would encourage you to develop your own methods for your area that work, through trial and error. Get a couple sites under your belt in terms of finding them and then go crazy with finding the sites that "were never there." We've found close to 200 old sites in the fields in the past three years. Only in the last six months have we started finding the sites that you won't find on any map.

Here is something you might be interested in reading:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,188838.0.html

Oh, and the condescension is Not becoming. Your question was not too "far-fetched." ::)

-Buckleboy

OP
OP
M

~MetalDigger~

Oct 20, 2007
North Carolina
BuckleBoy said:
Maybe someone that spends 90% of their time field hunting should answer this question. :D

Someone said up above--Get out there and hunt it all. Another said "hunt Smarter, not harder." Both of these replies are true in a sense, and also false in a sense too. The NJ hunter always has an excellent chance at any open land. The hunter in Indiana will find that unless there was a site there, they will have little to dig but the occasional soda can. But it will take familiarizing yourself with your area in terms of metal detecting in order to know which is which--and the true answer for most detectorists in the Americas is somewhere in the middle. If I'd only hunted the obvious spot, I would've missed these--and many other great finds I've made in close to 20 years:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,153203.0.html

I just got permission to hunt another 700 acres here. I am not going to try and wave my searchcoil over every inch of land. But I am also not going to just look on the plat maps and only hunt the sites that were there 100 years ago. I am going to look at the deeds to the land, I'm going to look at the natural features of the land, and I am going to spend as much time eyeballing as I do listening for beeps as I go. If folks want to only hunt the plat map structures--Good! That leaves more for me! I will gladly take all the early 1800s and late 1700s sites and folks can have at the 1880s ones. :wink:

But in all seriousness, this takes practice. I would encourage you to develop your own methods for your area that work, through trial and error. Get a couple sites under your belt in terms of finding them and then go crazy with finding the sites that "were never there." We've found close to 200 old sites in the fields in the past three years. Only in the last six months have we started finding the sites that you won't find on any map.

Here is something you might be interested in reading:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,188838.0.html

Oh, and the condescension is Not becoming. Your question was not too "far-fetched." ::)

-Buckleboy

Thanks Buckleboy, Im sure I'll enjoy reading that last post, as well as the very helpful info you provided above. Thanks very much, and happy digging. I have saw a lot of your finds from when I registed here in 07 uptill now. Nice Stuff..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread