austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Behind a loose firplace brick, under the cellar floor, along the old rock fence(there should be one from that time period), by a tree, by where a tree used to be, in other words, almost anywhere...

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the house has a kitchen, look out from there. Any landmark within easy walking distance should be checked. If the kitchen is(was) in another building, which was popular at the time, look out from the door. Many farm wives had their own egg money stash. From the 1800's, I wouldn't expect a gold hoard. Probably only an old cent or two cent piece, but still would make a great find!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
look for a loose (easily removed) stone , if the homestead is still there find where the window is where one looks out at --and look for any "noticible" land mark type items-- people liked to "watch over" their stashes

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most caches were hidden within the house, where it could be watched over, and added to without suspicion.

OP
OP
N

Nomadnailer

Apr 6, 2011
Montrose, WV
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i with dx-1 sunray probe, Whites xlt, Tesoro lobo st,
Never thought of cellar floor or loose fireplace brick thanks

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason is 100 percent correct. Most caches were inside rather than outside. Farmers rarely had a lot of money to cache anyways, but some did stash a little away. #1 spot for an outside buried cache will be within sight of the main bedroom window, and usually under two feet deep.

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason is 100 percent correct. Most caches were inside rather than outside. Farmers rarely had a lot of money to cache anyways, but some did stash a little away. #1 spot for an outside buried cache will be within sight of the main bedroom window, and usually under two feet deep.
Another good tip is before you start running around with a detector PAUSE a few minutes and get the " feel " of the property, Just sit and let the property "SPEAK " to you It has worked for me many times

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Most caches were hidden within the house, where it could be watched over, and added to without suspicion.
My greatgrandfathers house in Paterson,NJ,had a root cellar just off the kitchen.Besides stored perserves in mason jars,he also used it as his "bank"He built that house,and it also had several hidden secret rooms,which were fun to explore when I was a kid.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another good tip is before you start running around with a detector PAUSE a few minutes and get the " feel " of the property, Just sit and let the property "SPEAK " to you It has worked for me many times

There was a member on here last year (I think) that had some really good info about this. He posted a link to a study where they put GPS on people and asked them to go hide something in a park. Most people ended up walking almost exactly the same paths and choosing the same 1 or 2 spots as a hide. Moral of the story, follow your instincts on where YOU would chose to hide a cache when hunting for a cache.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My greatgrandfathers house in Paterson,NJ,had a root cellar just off the kitchen.Besides stored perserves in mason jars,he also used it as his "bank"He built that house,and it also had several hidden secret rooms,which were fun to explore when I was a kid.

If I ever get the chance to build my next house, it's definitely going to have secret rooms!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well, I didn't read all the post, but this is my opinion. I assume you are looking for a cache, not a few coins, so here goes.
Take a 2 box and walk around the cut stone foundation, inside and outside.
Also walk any fence line. Now get out there real early, just as the sun is just rising and look for the teltail shadows of depressed areas that were well worn paths. They might just lead to treasure.

One last clue, if the farm dates to1700 and the house to 1800, look for the foundation of a prior home. I bet they didn't camp out for 100 years.
Frank... 111-1 profile.jpg

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best info on cache hunting is in Karl VonMullers' "Treasure Hunters' Manual" #6 or #7. Out of print and harder to find, but a must-read for all metal detector users and land treasure seekers. One can probably get a copy to read through one's library. Back in the early 70's I lent my copy to a friend who lived in an old Victorian house. Two days later he found a cigar box with 43 Saint Gaudens double eagles in the house!! Got my book back, but the find went to his head, and I didn't even get one for the help!!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

Well, most caches that I have found have been outside in view of a window in the house.
Farmers were big cache hiders. Look at it this way, they only got paid once a year if they raised crops.
Frank... hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never thought of cellar floor or loose fireplace brick thanks

I have been researching newspaper stories and celler floors were a common "buried" location for cache discoveries by demolition crews.

Coldshuz

May 18, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My aunt and uncle were willed a large 200 acre farm in destitute. As they went through the house they found the attic filled with old spinning wheels, the three barns had many old antiques and farm implements used in the raising of sheep. The main fireplace still had the swing arm to move the kettle in and out of it. In the fireplace and up the chimney within arms reach was a cubby type hole that contained many old trinkets and treasures (some old coins, documents, etc.).
Last year I did a little research on the property and found that an old stage coach stop was one time on the property. I go up there every year to help them harvest the corn and last year found the old walls of the stage coach building about 6-12 inches under ground in what my uncle had used over the last 25 years as a pig pen and then a trash dump. This year we're bringing our metal detectors and hope to find additional items for them.

sweetrelease

Sep 26, 2013
new jersey
Detector(s) used
at pro and ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best info on cache hunting is in Karl VonMullers' "Treasure Hunters' Manual" #6 or #7. Out of print and harder to find, but a must-read for all metal detector users and land treasure seekers. One can probably get a copy to read through one's library. Back in the early 70's I lent my copy to a friend who lived in an old Victorian house. Two days later he found a cigar box with 43 Saint Gaudens double eagles in the house!! Got my book back, but the find went to his head, and I didn't even get one for the help!!

I have this book and it is a good read. lots and lots of info. by the way found it at a yard sale about 5 years ago ,paid 25 cents for it .:-)

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have this book and it is a good read. lots and lots of info. by the way found it at a yard sale about 5 years ago ,paid 25 cents for it .:-)

That book is the best!! Karl passed away a few years back, I bet there could be some money made by publishing a new edition, with all the new hunters out there. I had both #6 and #7, but seem to have #6 not returned. You got a lot of great info for your quarter!! That guy was a true treasure hunter, and I was glad to have read many articles by him and of course his books.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread