Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I snuck away today for a couple of hours, things were kinda slow at first then it got a little better. I found a big ugly knife looking thing almost on top of the ground covered with leaves. Right beside it was a little hammer head . After that I moved up into a farmers field and of course ,started digging lots of iron so I turned up the disc. and found a small coin. It is in very poor shape and the only thing I can make out is a 5 right in the center but even that is hard to see. Next I moved over to the edge of the field and had a very large target. I dug down about 18 inches and hit metal. I dug more with my hands and felt what I thought felt like a fin. Me being in Germany, I got a bit paranoid and filled in the hole. Part of me wanted to finish digging it up and see if it was a bomb but the other part said I did not need to know. I moved back into the Field and found another coin. Then about 20 feet away I pulled out a Minnie ball . I was happy as can be .It was getting late so I started to make my way back to where I was parked and I found another minnie ball and a small measuring weight. When I got home I tried to clean the coins with water and I still can't make much out on the small one and the large one is not much better. I can read alittle when it is wet ,it says " empire Francie " that is about all I can make out . I t has an eagle or a falcon on the back and a bust of someone one the front. I guess I need to do some research. The past owner of the coin drilled a hole right where the date is sopposed to be. The great thing is the field is huge and as far as I know it has not been hunted before. :) I only hunted a very small part of it. Hope you all have a good weekend and a happy easter.HH

Attachments

• march25finds1.JPG
    march25finds1.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 547
Upvote 0
O

Oddfello

Good post. My brother and I are currently seeking permission to search a farmers field that is located across the street from what was a one-room school house in a small town that I grew up . We grew up across the street ajacent to the field. I have seen hunters searching the grounds of the school house many years ago, I'd say 15, and though I suspect it has been hit several times since; the field belonged to a farmer who grew and maintained it until his death about five years ago. A recent trip back to the old neiborhood found the field barren and unused and under new ownership. Being its' proximity to the schoolhouse, only 10' from the school grounds, I'm hoping to get some time there.

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Field hunting beats the heck out of being it the woods fighting vines and branches.I got lucky with this one my boss told me about an old road marker made of stone on the edge of the field . Their is also a road through the middle of the field that people walk there dogs and such. Alot of the germans passing by thought it was funny that I was digging in the dirt. The only bad thing about farm fields is alot of times your finds are in poor shape. That field your looking sounds like a great spot for coins and such. Good luck.

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500
Cool find there birdman.
I think I'd have to go back and dig the fin, no telling when you might find that 67 Chevy.
But here in Texas we don'tthink of it being a bomb.
Dig slow use a rubber shovel. ;D

HH

Red

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: farmers field finds

I would like to dig it just to satisfy my curiosity but they find unexploded WW2 bombs pretty often. The rubber shovel idea just might work.LOL

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks ,I'll give that web site a try.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Birdman! The small coin in the middle looks like a silver 1 Kreuzer probably dated around 1850ish, date would be almost center. I found 13 rings and 5 gold finds yesterday at a swimming lake, they drained the lake about 1 meter and most of the swim area was exposed. Found an Indian head Penny today in one of my German fields, that was a cool find. I'll post pics later. HH and good to see your hitting some fields. Mike

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some good spots for next time you make it down this way. I also have a lot of stuff you can take a look at and maybe I D for me . I don't know much about the history around here so maybe you can give me a lession or two.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might consider hunting those fields below the castle Frauenburg, where the town was destroyed by water. It might be awhile before I get back over that way. I really think those fields along the small stream would produce some real nice finds. I would imagine several hundred meters off the hill and look for any bends in the stream after that point. I think it leads into the small river below, I think it's the Idar. HH and good luck, let you know if I make back over that way, Mike

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike, I will wait on you to make it over this way. It was your idea to hit that place up so I will wait . Its only about half an hour from me or so. I think it should also have some nice stuff in the hill behind it. Hopefully we will do pretty good there.

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
:) Hi Birdman,Good luck with your finDs,You dont say what part of Germany your in,I was in Leighton Barricks in Wurtzburg from 1977 to 1980 and on the hill side faceing the Ind-Park was a bunch of WWII tunnels in the woods plus a air field.had no md and had not hunted for years at the time.I think of that place sometimes and just think of what might be in the ground.If your close or, you may want to take a day trip and check it out.HH

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard that Wurtzburg has a lot of history going back to Napoleon and before. I think I will take your advice and go up and check it out. I am at Ramstein which is about 60 miles SW of Frankfurt. The army aircore during WW2, did a number on some places only a few miles up the road so their are lots of bombs still being found.

M

minelabex1000

Very nice finds, birdman. The bombs remind me of diving off Florida. Some areas were used as military junk yards.

If you ever find a coin you know is silver, try soaking it in concentrated lemon juice for a few days.

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will try the olive oil and see if it helps,and will lemon juice work on a copper coin or will do more harm then good?

R

rvbvetter

Cool finds! If you go back and find it's not your watch ticking, i'd be inclined to leave RAPIDLY!! HH

M

minelabex1000

birdman said:
I will try the olive oil and see if it helps,and will lemon juice work on a copper coin or will do more harm then good?

Don't use lemon juice on coins that are not solid silver.

For copper or bronze coins, just soak them in distilled water for a few weeks or months. Brush them occasionally with a tooth brush. If this doesn't work, try lye. Make a lye bath very strong. Use a container that can take heat because lye generates heat for a few minutes after it is mixed with water. The best form of lye is sold in stores and is called "Red Devil" drain cleaner. Ace Hardware stores usually have it. Wear rubber gloves and be careful with lye. If you get some on your hands, wash them well with soap and water.

I've cleaned coins over 2000 years old with lye. Lye won't hurt silver or bronze, copper, etc. Soak a very bad coin for about a week and brush it with a tooth brush. Make sure you soak the coins in clean water for a couple weeks after it's clean to stop the lye action in the coin. Heat the coin (with hair blower)and seal with Renaissance Wax (sold online).

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good info! Thanks. These coins are pretty rough so I will give it a try.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread