Farmfind

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell authorities, all kinds of laws could get you arrested if you tried to sell anything!

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or you could get sued for the value of what you sell by the descendants of a prior owner. Watch YouTube videos on "suddenly rich"

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all, Welcome to tnet. Before you start saying too much get some history on the property. Just don't go around telling every Tom,Dick, and Harry! If what your finding entails a lot of $ you might want to concider getting a lawyer. It all boils do to that there are a lot, I mean a lot of people that will try and lay claim to tour discovery. Just be careful.

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some advice. Get off the internet, burn your computer and run Forrest, run.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
We were excavating for our new home and found quite a bit of what appears to be bags of gold and silver coins,jewelry etc. in addition there are what appears to be square stone type currency. All is from what appears to be 1700s and 1800s from dates.

First of all, Welcome to tnet. Before you start saying too much get some history on the property. Just don't go around telling every Tom,Dick, and Harry! If what your finding entails a lot of $ you might want to concider getting a lawyer. It all boils do to that there are a lot, I mean a lot of people that will try and lay claim to tour discovery. Just be careful.

You don't say in which country you are located. If you are in the United States you are in a much better position to keep what you have found. If you are in Europe, you are left to the whims of the government and its bureaucracy when it comes to keeping what you have found. In the United States you are pretty much entitled to keep what you find on your own property, provided it wasn't originally government property or doesn't come from an Indian grave. For the most part, anything that was buried underground when the property was sold becomes the property of the new owner unless otherwise specified in the deed, and isn't naturally occurring minerals, gas, oil, etc. That means it's time for research. Lots and lots of research. And that means, as stated by old digger, you should seriously consider getting an attorney to assist you in this. And as others have stated, keep your mouth closed as much as you can about this. Mentioning it here is not as dangerous as talking about it with your neighbors, local community or even family. The worst thing you could do is cash in on a measly 15 minutes of fame by contacting the local news and let them do a human interest story on you and your find. No less than 300 people will pop out of the woodwork and claim it is their long lost family heirlooms, despite the fact that their family first emigrated to that location only 100 years ago. You also become a target for potential thieves. And then there is the taxman. If they hear about your find they will show up all smiles and acting friendly and trying to be your friend. Then without warning they will drop an assessment on you and claim you are still hiding the best stuff. That gives them a hook to drag you into court and make you prove that is all there is. You'll end up having to hire another attorney and making a deal with the government for their share of the loot, and this attorney will also get a sizable cut. That's why you should get an attorney now, before the bum's rush begins. And the best arrangement for you would be to contract with an attorney for a flat fee, or hourly fee. Even at $1,000/hr there is a limited amount of work that will need to be done to answer your question regarding ownership, taxes and how to bring the cache to light and eliminate all the legal encumbrances.

huggis

Sep 4, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Aqua pulse - Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don’t tell a sole !! Keep and enjoy it. And sell it off if you choose. No one will ever no the difference for all anyone knows it could’ve come from you’re own family and been passed down. Don’t go about it any other way. Good luck

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
if you are in england,i would turn it in,they are pretty serious about this stuff. check on laws were you live.
good luck
brad

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can something 'appear' to be gold coins? They either are or aren't.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello there...
We were excavating for our new home and found quite a bit of what appears to be bags of gold and silver coins,jewelry etc. in addition there are what appears to be square stone type currency. All is from what appears to be 1700s and 1800s from dates.

The square currency may well be Scooby Snacks. Is there a green van with flowers anywhere in the vicinity?

chub

wilcam47

Dec 29, 2019
Idaho
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can something 'appear' to be gold coins? They either are or aren't.

51se%2Bgp90RL._AC_SY400_.jpg

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Those coin candies are something else. When I first started detecting back around 1970-71 I was hunting a virgin school yard with a beep and dig BFO detector and found some of these that some kid had taken the chocolate out of and refilled with dirt and buried them. I sure got a start when I saw several in my hole! Of course as soon as I picked one up I knew what they were, but they sure looked good in the dirt!!

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, those gold foil wrappers peeking from the dirt get my heart racing until I get them out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread