Fatigue In Your Swing Style

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
It seems like machines other than the feather lite Deus2 give discomfort, but I wonder, "Are you swinging out in front of you way more than needed?" Most automatically blame it on weight.

What I learned to do is always keep the coil closer to my feet(within reason), which straightens my swing arm elbow and seems to nullify the discomfort and fatigue. Some of my past hunt friends would extend the coil 2-3 feet our in front of their feet and ergonomically speaking, that HAS to give fatigue.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
For me it depends on the area. Taller ground cover, I get out front further.
Just my style I guess. I have a Nokta Simplex. I’ve never experienced arm fatigue with it. I’m fairly big through the chest, shoulders and arms. I imagine that helps some too.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use harness that hooks to shaft and to a chest harness with bungie cord, so most of detector weight is on my chest and I am just guiding the coil.

Jollyrodger1

Apr 11, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this tells me most detectorist are older reading this. Look my advice go slow, take a rest, common sense is a factor, I find more people having a problem getting up and down. Just be careful, this hobby isn’t meant to kill yah.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this tells me most detectorist are older reading this. Look my advice go slow, take a rest, common sense is a factor, I find more people having a problem getting up and down. Just be careful, this hobby isn’t meant to kill yah.Mistt detectorest are older?

Using a harness gives me the ability to let go of my detector when hunting and detector hangs by my side controls up, coil at feet freeing up my hands for my scoop.

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
It seems like machines other than the feather lite Deus2 give discomfort, but I wonder, "Are you swinging out in front of you way more than needed?" Most automatically blame it on weight.

What I learned to do is always keep the coil closer to my feet(within reason), which straightens my swing arm elbow and seems to nullify the discomfort and fatigue. Some of my past hunt friends would extend the coil 2-3 feet our in front of their feet and ergonomically speaking, that HAS to give fatigue.
For me if I swing it too close in I find myself with my neck bent over too much. Out front more gives me less neck pain but also more awareness of where im detecting. The closer in the less peripheral vision I have. With Pulse machines too you dont want it too close as they can pick up your pick and other things causing false signals.
But everyone to there own there are no set rules as they say.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Harnesses are great I’ve used the ML Pro swing, heavy Explorer swings like a feather. Bulky tho.
my harness hooks into my suspender of my modular detecting gear,
so the weight of everything is on my hips and shoulders. Very little fatigue, good for long day's hunt...!

OP
OP
M

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
my harness hooks into my suspender of my modular detecting gear,
so the weight of everything is on my hips and shoulders. Very little fatigue, good for long day's hunt...!
I will likely just quit metal detecting whenever I think I need a harness. I simply believe that there is subtle changes is personal swing styles that works.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will likely just quit metal detecting whenever I think I need a harness. I simply believe that there is subtle changes is personal swing styles that works.
I agree, but lately I've come up with shoulder injury, so I fabricated
a bungee and sling system to my existing gear. Now I can continue with my favorite hobby, metal detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread