Faux watches ... what to do with them?

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a nice sized collection of watches that are not what they say they are. Some are horrible knock offs, but today I got a fantastic one (R0lex). Every once in a while I come across these .... It fooled two people. One jeweler had to take the band off (which had serial numbers on both the watch and band) to find no numbers between the doohickeys (forgot what those little things that the pin hooks into is called ... it's so late and I'm so tired, but wanted to ask). Second jeweler looked me in the eye and said, I can tell you, this is real. I said, take the back off and let me see ... so he goes in the back for a long time and comes back with egg on his face ... He showed me a few little tip offs, but it took finding the Russian movement in it to get him to look better.

So what can I do with these? Is there any way at all to sell them??? One time, one of my local GW stores was selling a faux watch, and I told them it was illegal to sell it. They said they were allowed since they told people it was faux. (Ya, $400 for a fake watch? Try again guys!)

Last time I got a super one, I gave it away. I also had a fantastic "Omega Seamaster" that turned out to have a "made in china" movement. (And THAT jeweler also told me it was the real deal! He said they are making the fakes so much better than they used to.)

Am I stuck giving this away? No one in my family wants it.

wassermj

Apr 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a nice collection of fake watches and rip-off Tiffany jewelry as well ranging from really good to utterly disastrous. Honestly, it's not worth attempting to sell publicly. Ebay is pretty good about cancelling those auctions and Rolex at least is notorious for going after sellers on local boards like Craigslist and Facebook. If you don't want them, I'd say dispose of them or give them away as novelty gifts. If you're not asking crazy numbers, I might be interested as well. Shoot me a PM.

I have a nice sized collection of watches that are not what they say they are. Some are horrible knock offs, but today I got a fantastic one (R0lex). Every once in a while I come across these .... It fooled two people. One jeweler had to take the band off (which had serial numbers on both the watch and band) to find no numbers between the doohickeys (forgot what those little things that the pin hooks into is called ... it's so late and I'm so tired, but wanted to ask). Second jeweler looked me in the eye and said, I can tell you, this is real. I said, take the back off and let me see ... so he goes in the back for a long time and comes back with egg on his face ... He showed me a few little tip offs, but it took finding the Russian movement in it to get him to look better.

So what can I do with these? Is there any way at all to sell them??? One time, one of my local GW stores was selling a faux watch, and I told them it was illegal to sell it. They said they were allowed since they told people it was faux. (Ya, $400 for a fake watch? Try again guys!)

Last time I got a super one, I gave it away. I also had a fantastic "Omega Seamaster" that turned out to have a "made in china" movement. (And THAT jeweler also told me it was the real deal! He said they are making the fakes so much better than they used to.)

Am I stuck giving this away? No one in my family wants it.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a small card table and set up just outside the 7th Ave Exit to Penn Station. As the tourists roll in yell “got a Rolex. Anybody need a Rolex? Won it in a poker game and need money.” Kidding, of course. I give them away (not to kids - had one get in trouble).

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I throw mine in watch lots and sell them. I don’t reference the fake watches, only the real watches. But the fake watches are seen just enough for buyers to see it and decide if they want it as well. It helps to move the lots quicker. But I have lots with 50+ watches in them, so I’m not selling the fake as a fake...it’s just a random watch among the Casios, Timexes, and Fossil or two.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I throw mine in watch lots and sell them. I don’t reference the fake watches, only the real watches. But the fake watches are seen just enough for buyers to see it and decide if they want it as well. It helps to move the lots quicker. But I have lots with 50+ watches in them, so I’m not selling the fake as a fake...it’s just a random watch among the Casios, Timexes, and Fossil or two.

Exactly what I was thinking. I see it all the time in watch lots.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I throw mine in watch lots and sell them. I don’t reference the fake watches, only the real watches. But the fake watches are seen just enough for buyers to see it and decide if they want it as well. It helps to move the lots quicker. But I have lots with 50+ watches in them, so I’m not selling the fake as a real watch...it’s just a random watch among the Casios, Timexes, and Fossil or two. And my watch lots are less than $100, so folks realize they are not getting a very hind end watch for 50 cents.

Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drop them on a sandy beach and think of the detectorists face when he digs it up.

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I do throw them in lots, but I never show them. I don't think it's so honest, when I know 100% it's fake.

BTW, today I went into a thrift store, and they were selling a "R0lex". I said to her, how are you allowed to sell a fake? She said, Someone donated it, we don't know if it's real or not. But several of the regular guys told me it's not real. I flip over, no numbers on the back. I told her that they are right. How do they ask 100 for a fake one?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread