Favorite Books!

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
greydigger said:
Forgot to mention Farly Mowatt as someone else did. Have 3 of his books. Great.

Don't know if you folks know about Dr. Suess and his secret messages in the writing.
Yup, Green eggs and Ham was the best.
Like the jumprope songs told a story.
Wish I could remember his real name...

I think it was Theodore Geisel... Seuss was his middle name.

I loved Dr Seuss!

Nan

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
I just finished 'World Made by Hand', a kinda post apocalyptic novel by Jim Kunstler.

Setting is around New York and Pa, along the Hudson.

It's an interesting story, quick read, and he manages to get a little bit of everything in it.

Happy ending! I liked it...

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
Never been much of a fiction fan - have always enjoyed history/adventure/science reading. Picked up a Cussler book out of bordom while working third shift - I now own 29 out of the 36 (?). Thoroughly enjoy how he throws little bits of true history in with the fictional storyline. One of those reads that you can't put down... :thumbsup:

Anyone into naval history (WWII) - pick up a copy of 'The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour' by James Hornfischer. One of the best books I have ever read, hands down.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Southern Crosses by:

ummm.... ME!

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
DD, I've got Blue Jacket Odyssey 1942-1946, McGee, about armed guards on Liberty ships in the Pacific.

It's good also.

500pps.

I'll mail it to you for cost of postage, if you would be interested.
rmptr

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
To many favorites to list, here`s a few.

Corey Ford (all of his stuff but especially the stories of the lower forty)
Mel Ellis "Notes from little lakes" (Great read, especially on a quiet winter morning)
McMurtry/Ossana "Zeke and Ned" (Loved it, not sure why..)
Layne Heath "Deep blue"
Michael Friedman , any of his Star Trek stuff (not a "trekkie" but loved all the books/series)
Koontz the "Brother odd" books.
Poe
Ken Follett "Hornet flight"
John Saul, all of his stuff.
John Grisham, all
Nelson Demille "Up country" (very good read)
Tom Clancy
Theodore Dreiser "Twelve men"
Sidney Sheldon , most but not all of his stuff.

That`s a small sampling of what I enjoy, I didn't mention "History" but love/read it all, especially Civil war
writings.

I have a very old copy of (1872) Mark Twain`s "The innocents abroad" but its in rough shape, almost afraid
to read from this particular book but hate losing out on the style of the time by reading a newer edition.

Wish I knew where to have it repaired for a reasonable fee.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are a few of my recent reads that I've enjoyed.

'Team of Rivals' by Doris Kearns Goodwin. Covers Lincoln's campaign for Presidency then how he put together his cabinet and their interaction up through his assassination.

'Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer' by James L. Swanson. This book picks up where the 'Team of Rivals' leaves off. The hunt for John Wilkes Booth over the 12 days following the assassination.

'Shadow Divers' by Robert Kurson. This book covers the discovery and exploration of an unknown U-Boat off the New Jersey coast.

'Titanic's Last Secrets: The Further Adventures of Shadow Divers John Chatterton and Richie Kohler' by Brad Matsen. This book covers how John and Richie use their success with 'Shadow Divers' to discover parts of Titanic that were never studied and they solve what happen to the ship in the final moments before sinking.

I also read Ken Follett's 'The Pillars of Earth' and 'World Without End'. These were my historical fiction treats to myself. They were written well and kept me interested from the beginning to the end. They were the first books I've read from Follett and I will try more.

NJ

capt1989

Jan 16, 2009
Arkansas, by way of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Teknetics Gamma 6000, DetectorPro PiratePro, Fisher F-75 LTD2, Berkut-5 (a russian detector) and a good ole original Garrett Propointer that is still going strong.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My favorite author is David Eddings. He has to be one of the best fantasy writers ever. My second favorite is Frank O. Dodge. He was my grandfather and has several books published. I like to read and do it often. I is my form of escape when at work and off watch.(when I'm not on the computer on Treasurenet...)

john

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Open wide, there's Spleen inside!

Attachments

• 220px-Billthegalacticherocover.jpg
    220px-Billthegalacticherocover.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 229

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
NJTHer is spot on!
#1 opinionater in my book. :thumbsup:

Man!
I read that book 'Shadow Divers,' by Kurson...
Couldn't put it down. ;D

What a great treasure gettin' book!

Thanks for the referral,
:thumbsup:
rmptr

This book is non-fiction, though it reads easily, as a novel.
It's about hobby scuba divers pushing the envelope who discover and identify and unknown WWII U-boat
off the coast of New Jersey that quite possibly 'killed itself' with a 'circle runner.'

In the course of this book it describes great information that can be gained through research.

GREAT BOOK!
rmptr

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
rmptr said:
NJTHer is spot on!
#1 opinionater in my book. :thumbsup:

Man!
I read that book 'Shadow Divers,' by Kurson...
Couldn't put it down. ;D

What a great treasure gettin' book!

Thanks for the referral,
:thumbsup:
rmptr

This book is non-fiction, though it reads easily, as a novel.
It's about hobby scuba divers pushing the envelope who discover and identify and unknown WWII U-boat
off the coast of New Jersey that quite possibly 'killed itself' with a 'circle runner.'

In the course of this book it describes great information that can be gained through research.

GREAT BOOK!
rmptr

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

There is a NOVA special about it called Hitler's Lost Sub. I've never watched it but I just ordered the DVD off E-Bay yesterday. The NOVA documenary about their discover led to the book Shadow Divers which lead to the TV show Deep Sea Detectives which led to their latest book Titanic's Last Secrets. It is funny how ones hobby, in this case wreck diving, can change a persons life.

NJ

My Precious

Feb 10, 2009
Adirondack Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Bible, Louis L'Amour, Tolkien's LOTR, Left Behind series by Jenkins/LaHaye, old American History books

Drudge

Nov 19, 2007
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab: eTrac, Excalibur II, Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently its been Jesse Ventura: I Ain't Got Time to Bleed & Don't Start the Revolution Without Me!

Controversial but he tells it like it is...

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About Face - The Odyssey of an American Warrior
Steel My Soldier's Hearts
Rich Dad, Poor Dad
Of Men and Mountains
Starship Troopers
Flowers for Algernon
Lord of the Rings
Circuit of Heaven
The Road
Anything Warhammer (this is my version of the 'romance novel' for women!)
And anything by Philip K. Dick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions