Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you enjoyed them Megalodon. :notworthy:

Sis, ( WannaDig3687 ), created this thread for the memories.
And as you can see, many memories have been resurrected.

Did your daughter choose a career in music ?
I had a friend that was gifted like that. R.I.P. Don

67 Mustang GT - nice :icon_thumleft:

Thank you Simon and Sis,

My daughter didn't choose a music career. She never thought her singing was anything special. She sometimes joined performances when she felt like singing. The weirdest time was when she joined in with some banjo playing confederate re-enactors at a battle re-enactment in VA, stunning them and attracting a crowd. I think we signed a release so they could use her voice in a live recording. A bit jarring to see your sweet little girl singing about battles and killing yankees (ummm, honey, can we talk...). She was once diagnosed with an idetic (sp?) memory, possibly inherited from me but mine was called a "photographic" memory back in the 50's. I never had to study, (until college chemistry LOL) because I could repeat everything after hearing or reading it once. This came in very handy when I wrote scientific papers and could remember references and citations as well as scientific names of species. Come to think of it, it helped me to sing, often solo, in a church choir in three languages when I was young.

The mustang GT was really way too much car for a teenager. Unable (at least so I thought at the time) to afford its truly impressive thirst for premium fuel (i mean it was starting to exceed 30 cents per gallon!), I traded it in for a VW for college (a sacrilege?). I loved that old slow vw.

For me, the best memories are of "the people I've known". Some of the songs you and Sis post on this thread refresh those old memories and for that I say Thanks again.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
And back to the control room with ECS:

This song was produced by Bob Clearmountain and was nominated for a Grammy.
Clearmountain's production on this influenced how I approached arrangements in the studio during the "new wave/power pop" and "alternative" recordings I produced for label submissions.
Sis, I know you will appreciate the "Spectoresque wall of sound" girl group wall of sound, and Simon, notice how the drums, back the lyrics with up front reverb snare accent, bring home the meaning.
This recording was made on 16 track 2" recording tape, mixed down to 2 track stereo, and released on vinyl. There is a warmth in this recording, which is hard to recreate in sterile "clean" digital recordings of today.
Simon, and Rook, I think you understand what I meant.

Last edited:

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
That was nice ECS. Simple but clean. Nice sound. I always liked seeing control rooms with a gazillion switches and slides, but never could appreciate them. I prefer the real sound as opposed to that of now days. ( Except when by myself I like the EQ Effects Pedal ). ( It helps hide my mistakes ).:hello2:

Thanks for the song and information. :notworthy:

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Back then Megalodon I don't think any of us truly appreciated them. Now you watch the car auctions and see the cars we drove, ( mud, snow, and rain ), go for a ridicules amount of money. Who would have thought :dontknow:

Sounds like your family was musically gifted.

ECS is fortunate to also have a talented family.

Me..........:BangHead:

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the songs Simon and ECS. Gosh I haven’t heard most of those for a long, long time!

And welcome to the thread megalodon and McKinney. I hope these oldies bring back many fond memories for you!

Um McKinney, care to embellish on your three steps?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other

When this song by the LEFT BANK broke, most of the original members in the recording had quit the band.
The keyboard player, Michael Brown, who wrote the song when he was 16, recruited Bert Sommer (Hair, Woodstock) as vocalist and Michael McKean (Lavern & Shirley, SPINAL TAP) on guitar, as replacements.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I am sooooooo sorry, Don and ECS and McK! I left you guys hanging down here! Both great songs. And McKinney, I did things I am not so proud of either.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
From June 1971

It was hard to watch these videos when I got them. The guy on the left was one of my best friends, he was 4 months younger than I. He died around 2000 from liver disease from an infected needle he used while in San Francisco. The girl was a year younger than I and she recently passed from cancer. She had gone to Nashville and became a studio musician. So, 2 out of 5 of these guys have passed EARLY :sadsmiley:

=========

Sad news, the leader of the band, ( the youngster on the right ), passed July 3rd from double pneumonia. He was three years younger than I :dontknow:
Now all that remains are myself, ( I was the oldest ), and the guy in the back row on the right playing bass. He was the second youngest and a cousin to the band leader. Now 3 out of 5 are gone. :sadsmiley: R.I.P. gang :notworthy:

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanted to say a huge "Thanks" to WD for starting this thread and to all who have contributed with all the great songs and comments! Lots of memories here. I graduated in 1969 and just realized the Class of 1969 is turning 69 this year!

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
=========

Sad news, the leader of the band, ( the youngster on the right ), passed July 3rd from double pneumonia. He was three years younger than I :dontknow:
Now all that remains are myself, ( I was the oldest ), and the guy in the back row on the right playing bass. He was the second youngest and a cousin to the band leader. Now 3 out of 5 are gone. :sadsmiley: R.I.P. gang :notworthy:

Sorry to hear that Simon. I’m sure losing your old friends has got to be tough. May your circle be unbroken.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Just wanted to say a huge "Thanks" to WD for starting this thread and to all who have contributed with all the great songs and comments! Lots of memories here. I graduated in 1969 and just realized the Class of 1969 is turning 69 this year!

You are welcome and a big Thank You from me to everyone for contributing. I never expected it. I started the thread to reminisce good times with my brother and mom and dad. Billy and Mom have both moved on. I cannot say enough of how heart warming it has been for me that it has also been enjoyable for you and so many others.

LOL! I had to do the math. I was thinking of replaying this the other day. I guess it was meant to be. The number 1 song of 1969.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
You are NOT old Don, we were fortunate enough to grow up (?) surrounded by great bands and great music which enabled us to have GREAT memories. Thanks SD51 for your pep talk :notworthy:.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread