Favorite to Find?

GTK96

Jul 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey guys

The hunting here has been dampened (literally) lately so I figured I would propose a question to see what you all are into...so the question is this:

Personally, what is your favorite type of artifact to find.

Can be anything you want, specific types of points, beads, shell stuff, contact period stuff, whatever!
Anxious to see what your favorites are
HH

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine are stone tools. I enjoy trying to decide how they used them and what purpose they served. But I will take anything that has been worked. I even like to keep the unworked rocks I find in a camp area if they arent normal for them to be there. And of course all the colors.

Attachments

• 100_2767.JPG
    100_2767.JPG
    337.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 100_2956.JPG
    100_2956.JPG
    296.5 KB · Views: 98
  • 100_2744.JPG
    100_2744.JPG
    263.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 100_2339.JPG
    100_2339.JPG
    260.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 100_2345.JPG
    100_2345.JPG
    288.2 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like finding them all from Scrapers and Flake Tools to Pipes and Stone Tools, but I guess my favorite to find is the perishable items like Shell and Bone Beads and Bone Tools.

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
I like finding them all from Scrapers and Flake Tools to Pipes and Stone Tools, but I guess my favorite to find is the perishable items like Shell and Bone Beads and Bone Tools.

me too
game pieces

IMG_2224.jpg the one in the upper right is one of my all time favorites

Steve B artifacts.jpg also the bird and the stick with the baby on it

Last edited:

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I'm like Reaper, I like finding every thing. From scrapers to fluted points. If I must pick a favorite, it would be grooved axes above all, then flaked axe heads.

image-2767738237.jpg

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
me too
game pieces

View attachment 761944 the one in the upper right is one of my all time favorites

View attachment 761945 also the bird and the stick with the baby on it

My favorite besides flawless points would be a bannerstone, pendant, bar weight, birdstone, and anything hematite. I gave away to my moms friend when I was younger a stone that was chipped into the form of a canoe. I believe now it was a non drilled bar weight. Found three bannerstones, one pendant, one 4/4 grooved celt, two 4/4 grooved mauls. All priceless to me!!

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
Well I had no big finds last year. My favorite would have to have been mailbox finds from Steve! After that it was putting that ax together. Axes are my favorite to find if I could just find them whole. Haha

huntress104

Apr 6, 2011
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
I like finding the arrowheads. Love the feeling when I pull a whole one out of it's hiding place. Everything else I find is a real bonus...

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I like finding anything but points or tools made from red carnelian or other agates really jazz me up.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Good call Pickaway, and nice side notch. Crispy whole examples are always my fav to find be it flint , hardstone, shell, etc.

Attachments

• php4H9Vr5PM.jpg
    php4H9Vr5PM.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 107

Brandiwine

Mar 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't even compare my puny collection with the finds that I see here everyday. I have probably less than 25-30 "unbroken" points but still worn. Other than that my finds are laughable compares to you all. But looking at this forum everyday definitely pushes me to hunt more. Even more, its opened my mind as to what I can find and opened my eyes in terms of what I'm looking for - from shape to material. I'm so new to this that finding ANYTHING excites me. The most basic worked stone gets my mind going wondering what it was used for, what ancient soul used it and what their life must have been like. Sooooo thank you all for everything you've ever posted. I've learned more here in a few weeks than over a year of reading books, websites and so on. So far THIS FORUM is my favorite find...lol. Thank you all....I'm looking forward to finding something amazing soon and sharing it with like minded folks who share my passion.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Besides large points and blades..I would say a plummet really gets me stoked. Also these little gems.

ForumRunner_20130319_191635.png

ForumRunner_20130319_191812.png

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
In order....

1) Whole ones
2) Broke ones
3) Nice ones one step ahead of the row my buddy is in
4) Astute finds. Any clown will see the 5" Adena sitting there fully exposed. I like seeing just the smallest bit exposed, wiggling it, and knowing there's more under there.

Maybe the orders wrong, I don't know.

Thirty7 - super find there my friend.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
I can't even compare my puny collection with the finds that I see here everyday. I have probably less than 25-30 "unbroken" points but still worn. Other than that my finds are laughable compares to you all. But looking at this forum everyday definitely pushes me to hunt more. Even more, its opened my mind as to what I can find and opened my eyes in terms of what I'm looking for - from shape to material. I'm so new to this that finding ANYTHING excites me. The most basic worked stone gets my mind going wondering what it was used for, what ancient soul used it and what their life must have been like. Sooooo thank you all for everything you've ever posted. I've learned more here in a few weeks than over a year of reading books, websites and so on. So far THIS FORUM is my favorite find...lol. Thank you all....I'm looking forward to finding something amazing soon and sharing it with like minded folks who share my passion.

I've been at it for nearly 30 years and still get excited finding anything. You're in a good state to find artifacts, with lots of untouched fields and not much competition. Is that Mt. Carbon in your avatar pic?

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
" 4) Astute finds. Any clown will see the 5" Adena sitting there fully exposed. I like seeing just the smallest bit exposed, wiggling it, and knowing there's more under there. "

That's a great point. Those camouflage guys you have to work for feel like a victory. Some of my most memorable finds were artifacts barely exposed.

I thought this one looked promising even though it was in an area scattered with debitage, snapped a in-situ anyway. I was stoked to pull that one out.

Attachments

• phpt2QKgVPM.jpg
    phpt2QKgVPM.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 93
  • phpeTTD8TPM.jpg
    phpeTTD8TPM.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 96
  • php4WumEHPM.jpg
    php4WumEHPM.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 102

Brandiwine

Mar 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been at it for nearly 30 years and still get excited finding anything. You're in a good state to find artifacts, with lots of untouched fields and not much competition. Is that Mt. Carbon in your avatar pic?

You're so right Th3rty7, I am in a good state, an amazing state if you will, for many reasons and artifacts being just one.

While that's not Mt. Carbon, its ironic that I live about 10 minutes from there. I used to camp/fish a lot on the Kanawha at Mt Carbon (right below the "great wall"..lol) but at the time my interests were more centered towards beer and catfish. I look back on all that time and soooooo wish I was into this then - but he// I'm sure my eyesight was a little hazy at best.

The picture was taken on my lunch break hike/hunt at work, it's our 'Concho Overlook' of the New River. It overlooks Thurmond, which has a very colorful history itself (but, if you know po-dunk Mt Carbon, you know this place). I can walk out my office door and be there in 10 minutes.

My (very) small town has some documented history of mounds, artifacts, burials and so on that date back to its settlement. Most of history came from the same few who first documented the walls and such at Mt Carbon as well as the petroglyphs at Beards Fork. So yeah, I'm one of the lucky ones who doesn't have to venture far. It's free time that's not on my side. I work 50+ hours a week, have 2 kids that play sports, scouts and more and were small time farmers. Our vegetable gardens encompass acres (I detest our food industry) plus chickens, rabbits, pigs and more. Thankfully gardening has its advantages to looking for artifacts.

Ssssshhhhh about the competition...lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread