FBI

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone else ever paid attention to the video clips on the news where they show a dozen FBI agents lined up with a bunch of those Dewalt yellow metal detectors? Every time I see them all I can see is cords not wrapped just swinging free, and coils being swung a foot above the top of the grass, and it drives me bonkers.

I can't help but think I should go apply for a job with the local police or county sheriff's department crime scene evidence recovery / forensics team.

20171107_180807.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heck, they'd never get you away from a crime scene that had some history Icewing, You'd have immediately found the surface finds (evidence) and then spend the next 2 days there just to make sure you didn't miss anything relevant to the current crime, digging all the good signals. :tongue3:

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I was looking at a picture of FBI agents lined up close together where their same type machines could all cross talk with one another while they were sweeping an area and just had to wonder who the heck trained these people. Also had to think about how they would do with their machines against anybody on this board, using the same machine. I bet that would be a real eye opener and a shock to FBI upper level management, if the results were ever allowed to get to that level. Anyways, just hope their gun handling skills are much higher than their detecting skills, as their lives might actually depend on that, but they seriously need some help with their detecting, big time.

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another bonus; I'm thinking you could write your gear off your taxes and count hobby time as "training hours".

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Icewing: But Captain I think I need to detect that yard around the old Victorian house some more, I just have a feeling something important is waiting to be found that might have a bearing on this homicide investigation.
Captain: OK Icewing, one more day in that yard, then tomorrow I expect you to be ready for standard patrol duties again.
Icewing: Will do Captain! As thoughts of the 11 silver coins, 7 IHP's, 2 V nickels, 4 Buffaloes, and 37 Wheaties he had found the previous day ran through his mind. I just know there is a Barber half in that yard, and I'm going to hit it hard today!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm registered with a few PDs to help if needed

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I offered to volunteer my time if ever needed to the sheriff's Dept. one time. A friend of mine is with Search & Rescue, and for a possible crime scene asked to borrow a detector from me, I set up a user friendly detector, gave him a crash course, and wished them luck. They found trash and nothing else. When I told him I would be more then willing to assist in the future, I was told I could not, I need to be a Deputy. I understand chain of evidence etc., and would flag and not dig, but again, NO. So, with two borrowed detectors, they were just like the FBI guys pictured above. Oh well....... (At least the one I loaned out had the cord wrapped, bet my guy at least "Looked" professional).

Last edited:

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering if they even had the "OFF" switch in the "ON" position?

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm registered with a few PDs to help if needed

Kudos Casper. Some PDs will accept experienced volunteer MDers. Others, well, let's just say they are afraid someone might show them up (or steal some excuse for OT).
HH
dts

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it was just a media presentation, they surely were not detecting a thing that far above the ground. If they were I would very much like to see those detectors available to the general public. I thought they were ACE series judging from the color.

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it was just a media presentation, they surely were not detecting a thing that far above the ground. If they were I would very much like to see those detectors available to the general public. I thought they were ACE series judging from the color.

I figured most people who looked at that photo would know they were not actively detecting but would notice the 3 hanging cords since I even added arrows to point them out.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I offered to volunteer my time if ever needed to the sheriff's Dept. one time. A friend of mine is with Search & Rescue, and for a possible crime scene asked to borrow a detector from me, I set up a user friendly detector, gave him a crash course, and wished them luck. They found trash and nothing else. When I told him I would be more then willing to assist in the future, I was told I could not, I need to be a Deputy. I understand chain of evidence etc., and would flag and not dig, but again, NO. So, with two borrowed detectors, they were just like the FBI guys pictured above. Oh well....... (At least the one I loaned out had the cord wrapped, bet my guy at least "Looked" professional).

Have them deputise you then...

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless they are EOD, I'd think the exposure/training for the layperson using a MD would be very low to nil. Just as most treasure hunters are getting started, we learn from our mistakes and experiences with our machines. That cord hanging drives me bonkers too. I had a rookie mistake on Saturday. Forgot I had a new ring on my opposite hand, and I kept getting pinged every time I checked a handful of soil. I was so confused as to why I was getting a signal but had nothing but soil in my hand. Took me about 5 minutes to figure it out.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figured most people who looked at that photo would know they were not actively detecting but would notice the 3 hanging cords since I even added arrows to point them out.

I seen the same group on Fox news and they appeared to be detecting but their swing height was about a foot to 18 inches above the ground

Vldetecting

Jun 23, 2017
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro-Pointer, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like how they have the coil so long from the ground and they most go crazy over the signals they will get from the cords!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Heavy set ladies (in law enforcement) working for the Federal government, and you say the job is not getting done correctly... WHAT?

Last edited:

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FBI mindset= For Babies Inside

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im sure I just got myself put on some kind of "list", but I went ahead and sent the image in my original post to the San Antonio FBI office with a few suggestions. So if I disappear....

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im sure I just got myself put on some kind of "list", but I went ahead and sent the image in my original post to the San Antonio FBI office with a few suggestions. So if I disappear....

Just watch for a fleet of black Suburbans/Tahoes with Govt plates in your neck of the woods. They like to be obvious.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other

If they come get you, can I have that burnt Barber half you found? You won't need it where you are going.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions