FBS 800 coil any users ? How much better seperation than stock coil?

martinguitar

Feb 28, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking to pick up a smaller coil for the trashy old homesites that I detect .
The Sunray x-5 coil is my number one choice , but I have an Amazon credit which would
Cover the cost of the Minelab FBS 800 coil Which is sold on Amazon .
Will I notice a big improvement in seperation over the stock coil with the FBS 800 ?
Something free is always nice but if I will see little improvement over what I currently use I will just save up for the Sunray X-5.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 8" is my standard coil for my E-Trac. Better separation, almost equal in depth and lighter in weight.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That little hockey puck works great but I use the Sunray X-8 just because the X-5 covers so little ground. I suppose if you need to hunt really trashy areas the X-5 is the way to go. Don't forget you will want an extra lower shaft since the design of the Explorer series shafts makes it a real pain to change coils quickly unless your coil is already mounted in a lower shaft.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Minelab 8" for the Etrac... It works very well in moderately trashy areas. It works exactly as one would expect- better separation than the Pro coil, but less separation than the X5. That being said, I find myself most often going from the Pro coil to the X5 - skipping the 8" coil. It's not because I don't like the 8", it's just a habit I have developed.... :)

Hope that helps!

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is also a big performance difference between the FBS800 and the stock 8" Explorer coils. The old Explorer coils are substancially better, and separation is exactly what you'd expect, keeping in mind that separation isn't just a width issue but also a heel-to-toe length consideration.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dont liek the "middle coils" I use the stock coil or the sun ray X-5. Middle coils dont give me the advantage I want. Personal opinion.... everyone hunts different.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions