FE 20s and bits of nails

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
some say to dig the higher FE #'s if the CO # is consistant...I've been doing that and seems like I'm digging bits of nails or other junk, anyone else experience this....Thanks Ron

What machine are you using? E-Trac? You will find with experience good targets will give off a much better audio and usually visual ID. Nails are a part of the game my friend. The more time swinging and digging the better you will get at figuring out which is which before you dig.

Also use a more open descrim pattern (flip to an open quick mask screen) if you suspect iron. Will help you much more on deciding if it is in fact iron.

Audio audio audio...

Last edited:

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My experience has been, for nails the CO will often be 39-42 range the FE will vary but it is often a solid 12-41. However as Bart said the audio tells the story.

At a homesite spot with a lot of nails, and old coppers that register the same numbers, if I get an ok audio response all the way around I'll still dig for the, just in case factor, if it is broken and doesn't go all the way around I'll usually let it go or go back at the end(nothing but nails yet)

The just in case ones usually end up being a larger clump of corroded nail giving off a better than normal response.

A good repeatable audio response is rarely wrong, and if you find trash on a dig from that keep checking, there is probably something else there.

Most of my homesites yield results at 2-7" on coins, and it's always solid repeatable, the possibility of deeper ones is what keeps me checking the just in cases.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an etrac and have dug 2 successful targets reading as low as 27 fe. This is the exception rather than the norm. The 2 targets were both 1 way hits with stable ferrous numbers in disc screen. They would give high tone in the exact same spot. Going to quick mask open screen the ferrous number would ocassionally jump up the screen. The sites that give up these finds were iron patches and both targets were in excess of 9 inches deep. I run my etrac with disc setting of 27fe always. And if you can review or get a copy of Andy Sabisch's book on the etrac he states exactly in so many words "run ferrous at 27" or you may disc out good targets in the ground". I have not dug a good target reading 28 ferrous, although I haven't dug that many of them. Who knows maybe I walked right past a good target in doing this. Some in the midwest have disagrred with me saying 24 ferrous is enough disc versus 27, but remember I live in Tn, and the soil is a bit more mineralized than say in Ohio. Cheers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread