All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are only about three miles of the road going through the ASRA management area. The road runs from Colfax to Foresthill and almost all that distance is on private land. Who are these jokers who think they can close public roads that are needed by the public and the local residents?

Master key is the solution to that type of arrogance. Gates? BAH!!

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am going to stop by YJ Bridge from the Colfax side on Saturday to recon the water level and then on to Foresthill. I will report road conditions then. As for yakkers had two near collisions with them last year on the corners. They drop off one vehicle at the bridge and then go to Iowa Hill Bridge in another zipping up YJ road at great speed. Between My Gold Fever and their Kayaking equivalent of it, a dangerous place to drive. Take Care.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I do know on the Colfax side of yankee Jims has a gate that Can be Closed and Locked.

Maybe I will travel there manana...

Where is the gate at? I have driven the road 25 times and never seen one, but that's not saying much.

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
H&f9090RO... These rains are far from bad or extreme.. Nor did the heavy rains in 2012 close these roads.. Though their was a landslide on the Foresthill side of Yankee Jims road by Devil Falls.. Didn't even close it for that

We pay taxes to keep roads open and maintained.. that simple.. I don't pay taxes so they can pick and choose what is easier or conveint or cheap. Make no mistake give these basterds an inch they run you down for miles to come!!!!

Thanks for informing me Marshall, your very right. It does not make sense at all. Oh well.

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Where is the gate at? I have driven the road 25 times and never seen one, but that's not saying much.

You have been there much more than myself. Ive only been out there four times now..
The gate is above the actual dirt/mud path. More of a removable, lockable horse-gate"

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Respect is earned and the ASRA lost mine many years ago with these insane insipid :censored: rules/closures/restrictions/asundry bs-John

Lotus Geologist

Jan 6, 2014
Lotus/Coloma, California
Detector(s) used
MXT, TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
On occasion where public lands have been closed in the past I have seen someone cut a lock or chain, open the gate, then permanently WELD the gate open. That sends a pretty clear message to the overstepping government.

L.G.

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GM: going out on Saturday, you might get the first Real Good Pickins' of this storm that just came through.
Some chunky stuff may show itself on the hillside! Be safe!!

Lotus: I used to see those welded gates that you speak of, deep in Yosemite. Good fishing near there - something I may get back into this season.

Heavy Pans!

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is a lot of old ingrained thinking about slope erosion and the movement of gold. Here is an intro to an important new physical study that is challenging old assumptions.

Incipient sediment motion across the river to debris-flow transition

Logic would suggest that steeper streambeds should allow for easy sediment transport since, as the angle of the slope increases, gravity should assist with moving water and sediment downstream. But experimental data from the flume lab show that gravity does not facilitate sediment transport in the expected manner. Furthermore, in very steep streambeds with a 22-degree or higher slope, sediment motion begins not with grains skipping and bouncing along the bottom of the streambed, but rather with a complete bed failure in which all the sediment is abruptly sent hurtling downstream as a debris flow.

It might be wise to look for slumps and landslides for sources of newly exposed gold instead of relying on the old trickle down or stream erosion theories.

I'll check and see if the whole paper can be published on Land Matters. Not sure of the Copyright.

Heavy Pans

Lotus Geologist

Jan 6, 2014
Lotus/Coloma, California
Detector(s) used
MXT, TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very interesting study... At first glance to laymen the results may indeed it may be counterintuitive, but mountain rivers and their bed loads (e.g., NFA) are far different from low gradient / higher volume rivers (e.g., lower Sac or Feather). Both in the morphology of the stream bed (pool-drop vs. smooth linear gradient), but also and perhaps especially, in particle morphology. More angular particles are going to have higher apparent cohesion, thus requiring higher flows to initiate movement.

Doc from Gold Hog has some GREAT examples comparing transport velocity to particle size.

L.G.

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
whoa their LOTUS GEOLOGIST working with a GED here... Me I am of thought Gold rarely moves. A lot more "Localized" then people think. Every one say the gold is better upriver.. Let them go.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tick Tock

I knew a man who believed gold was only found in pink granite.

I knew a man who believed gold was only found in white quartz.

I knew a man who believed gold was only found in cracks in rocks.

I knew a man who believed gold was only found on the desert floor.

I knew a man who believed gold was only found in black quartz.

I knew a man who believed gold was only found in river bends.

I knew a man who believed gold was only found in black sands.

I knew a man who believed gold was only found on stream bottoms.

I knew a man who believed gold was only found in California.

I knew a man who believed gold was only found in piggy banks.

And they were all right - at least once in a while - just like a broken clock.

If you want to find gold don't be a broken clock.

Heavy Pans :thumbsup:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very interesting study... At first glance to laymen the results may indeed it may be counterintuitive, but mountain rivers and their bed loads (e.g., NFA) are far different from low gradient / higher volume rivers (e.g., lower Sac or Feather). Both in the morphology of the stream bed (pool-drop vs. smooth linear gradient), but also and perhaps especially, in particle morphology. More angular particles are going to have higher apparent cohesion, thus requiring higher flows to initiate movement.

Doc from Gold Hog has some GREAT examples comparing transport velocity to particle size.

L.G.

The lesson I take from steep gradient bed movement in relation to gold is:

When most of the terrain is above you - look up.

It's not the river where gold comes from - it's where it ends up.

If you have steep terrain and heavily mined rivers don't wait for the gold to come to you.

look up

The State of California spent years and millions of dollars trying to figure out how much of the mineable gold had already been mined. The answer - 40%

That means 60% of the gold in California is still to be found.

Want to guess where they thought that gold was?

look up

:thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
The lesson I take from steep gradient bed movement in relation to gold is:

When most of the terrain is above you - look up.

It's not the river where gold comes from - it's where it ends up.

If you have steep terrain and heavily mined rivers don't wait for the gold to come to you.

look up

The State of California spent years and millions of dollars trying to figure out how much of the mineable gold had already been mined. The answer - 40%

That means 60% of the gold in California is still to be found.

Want to guess where they thought that gold was?

look up

:thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Next time I go out I will definitely be looking up. Last time I was out I did make my way up there. I tried a spot which had nothing but black sand. My fear of heights didn't help me either. Oh well just need to keep trying.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I too struggle with a fear of heights. I start to get tense at about the fourth rung.

I hard rock climbed in Yosemite and a good portion of the Sierra as well as desert climbing in Joshua Tree and Sedona trying to cure myself. I have never gotten over my fear of heights.

I did learn to function and do what needs to be done no matter how unpleasant it got. Freezing with fear on the side of El Capitan or trusting a protrusion on the sandstone of Sedona because you don't want to look down can be bad for your health. I don't climb anymore but I know I could if I had to.

You've got the right idea - just keep trying. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread