February - Ft Pierce - Hotel Recommendation?

camcolo

Mar 17, 2005
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Whites Beach Hunter TDI
Hi. I am beginning to plan a 5 day trip to the area. 3rd snow here already (Pine, CO). By February, I will be ready for a break. I was hoping to get a good hotel recommendation for the area. Ideally, I would like to be able to walk to the beach. Condo maybe? Never have done beach hunting, but living at 8600 feet ASL, anything warm is a nice diversion. I have a DFX and have bought books on the area so I will not be totally lost. I have done some freshwater beaches, gold areas, ghost towns, schools, parks, etc., but never the ocean. I know the area is hunted heavily, but I am content with exploring the areas north and south. Heck, a walk on the beach will be great!

thanks
Curt

Upvote 0

Highwater

Nov 3, 2007
Shasta County, CA.
Detector(s) used
White's: XLT, MXT, Tesoro: Sand Shark, Tiger Shark. Fisher: 1266X. Minelab: Musketeer.
Curt,
"Anything, anyplace, anytime, when you least expect it". They can never find it all, no matter how many people hunt the beach. They may pick the cherries but it is always changing and there are always targets. Right now the sand is covering pretty deep on most beaches, but by the time you get here things should be stirred up a bunch.
I am sure by the time February comes around you will be very ready to blow dodge and make it to the beach. I am not a local myself as I am from Oregon, so can't give you any ideas on lodging, but hope you have a great time and a successful hunt. HH Highwater

MoTwister

Apr 27, 2007
Joplin, MO
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Turbo, Fisher 1280-X, Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would recommend the Sandhurst hotel on Hutchinson Island on Seaway drive its right on the Ft. Pierce Inlet and you can walk down to the jetty to fish. A fine restaurant down the road is Mangrove Matties with very good food. The motels near I-95 may be less expensive then Sandhurst so check for rates. Also on Hutchinsons Island is John Brooks and Fredrich Douglas beach. They are a couple of miles from Sandhurst on Seaway drive. If you want to camp the Sebastian Inlet state park is a good place, it also has swimming there. It is located north of Vero Beach on hwy A1A. The Savanna state park in Ft. Pierce is also a nice place to camp, with 20.00 for tent camping. And learn from my experience dont try and get extreme close up pics of the baby gators that live in the canals around the park those little teeth are a lot sharper then they look and they don't like having their picture taken. Also be sure to visit the Fisher treasure museum in Sebastian just north of Ft. Pierce and the McLarty treasure museum in Vero Beach. Fishers is on Hwy 1 and McLarty is on A1A. Other beaches in the area is the Jetty beach across from Hutchinson and Sea Grapes and Turtle trail both off of A1A. Make sure you bring bug spray and sun screen. And if you want a treasure coin to take home visit Tim's shop its just one block over from Seaway drive on Binney drive, he has a sign in his yard advertising the coins. Most have been found locally and are from the 1715 fleet. Also stay out of the water with your detector on these beaches as this is all under lease to the Mel Fisher org. who has contracted to the state of Florida for the recovery of Spanish artifacts and coins from the numerous ship wrecks in the area. Have a great time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread