FeCo numbers

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Excal II, Fisher 1280X, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question from a newbie. So I have gotten 3-4 hours on my CTX now and starting to see the patterns forming with the FeCo numbers and the sounds. From reading the forums, generally the numbers I am looking for are 12.10-12.47 and anything 1-12.45ish This is roughly what I'm looking for anyway. The sounds need to be nice and clean (generally). Is what I would like to ask is why pull tabs and such still ring in on those ranges? It seems that they would be completely different. I understand that there is no fool proof ID just from the number and the sound. Am I at least in the right mindset while searching?

Cory

Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's because pulltabs are all different sizes and shapes. Some are bent, broken, or cut which changes their signal return also.

OP
OP
Bejamble

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, that was the assumption. Guess I need to get a bigger bucket :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're going to want to dig more numbers than that if you want all the good targets. The size and alloy of the metals will determine what the detector "thinks" it is. The detector guesses are based on U.S. coins and common jewelry....mainly average size rings of known purity. I've dug small platinum that read 08-05 and scratchy sounding. Foil right? Ooops! Gold rings can range from 10-08 to 13-32 or even higher if it's a very large ring. Chances are that most of those signals will be junk but if you pass them up, you may be passing up a valuable ring or other nice piece of jewelry. It's up to you to decide if you want to spend the time and effort on the sketchy sounds. Personally, I pass up digging the 12-35 to 12-38's because I just don't want to see another zinc cent... ever! Am I passing up a small piece of silver? Probably every now and then, but I'm willing to do that to avoid wasting time on zincolns. To me the few small silver pieces I might find aren't worth the trouble. Now if I'm in an area where there are Indian cents, I'll dig those numbers if the depth is right.

OP
OP
Bejamble

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. Great insight. It is true, if you dig everything, you won't miss stuff. It's up to the user discretion of how much junk they want to dig. Not everything is textbook, no doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread