Federally Protected Endangered Plant

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I first heard of the Swamp Pink about 5 years ago and never realized this rare, endangered , federally protected plant is within a ten minute drive of my house.
The flower heads usually bloom in mid April in this area and I keep forgetting most of the years to get a photograph of the beautiful flower cluster.
Today I detecting close by to the one location and made it a point to check out the colony of plants. To my dismay, they looked half dead yet, but I decided to take a photo of one of the plants that seemed to have a flower bud erupting from the plant base.
I was not real close so I had to use zoom to get better detail and I was pleasantly surprised to see it was a flower bud starting to grow.
Not sure how quickly it will shoot up on a stem but it must happen soon, based on the time of month they are in full bloom here. I hope to go back in less than two weeks and take some more photos of this "Swamp Pink".
Attaching a link to a site showing photos of the Swamp Pink in New Jersey
http://www.hoganphoto.com/swamp_pink_fact_sheet.htm

Don

Attachments

• SwampPinkbudding.jpg
    SwampPinkbudding.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 346

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
very cool! I do hope you get out there to get pics when they are in full bloom! :icon_sunny:

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
I hope it survives! Even if it's only one blossom this year, that's all it takes to keep her alive. We would love to see it in bloom, looks like a pretty plant.

The Lady Slipper is our most protected plant, and now that I think about it I haven't seen one in a while. :( Here is a picture.

Get that picture! :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Showy_lady_slipper

Attachments

• lady slipper.jpg
    lady slipper.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 182

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Interesting Don.

Hope you are able to get that picture.

Do you think you'll have a two week window?

rmptr

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can ya post a picture when in bloom ?, ya got us interested about it now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread