FEDERATION OF METAL DETECTOR AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL CLUBS INC ...Good Info...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0
C

Cappy Z.

Went to the link site....Here's the line that flashed immediately in front of me:

If it is a historical park in any sense of the word then consider it off limits.

We are all better off with less, a lot less government.

Period.

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is that way in almost all states, it is part of the rules we all have to obey, but it doesn't make it illegal to detect.....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a great site to check out once in awhile for information on legislation going on in your state that you can add your two cents.

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
By permision of the park rangers, My question is this do any of you know of heard of or been anywhere a State park ranger gave permission to hunt? They dont do it in Va.

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Whites PI Pro, Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cappy Z. said:
We are all better off with less, a lot less government.

I generally agree with less government, but I was thinking about this a while back. If the state didn't lock up all the historic sites and make them parks, then some idiot would buy the historic site, bulldoze it and build condos, or an excessively egotistical home anyway, so either way they are lost.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The portion of that site that talks about CA, also says something to the effect of "inquire at each location". Now I don't know if there's any difference between state BEACHES verses state PARKS here, but I would think they'd both be under the same controlling entity, right? (the "state park's dept" I would assume is over state land parks, and state beaches, eh?). But trust me, the state beaches here can be detected till you're blue in the face, and there's no problem.

I've often wondered if someone were to take that FMDAC site litterally, and start "asking" rangers here, what would happen. I suppose if this never dawned on the rank-&-file ranger you were talking to, you might get someone to look into your pressing questions, and find something about sea life, or about cultural heritage, or whatever, and tell you "no". So sometimes you gotta take that list with a grain of salt, and talk to local long-time md'rs, to see what areas are ok, and which to avoid.

The reason why so many states on that list, end up just saying "inquire at each ranger's kiosk" is that year's ago, when someone made up that list, there was and is admittedly, in each state, sensitive historic monuments, and other parks where perhaps no one cares less. So if you were the bureaucrat faced with trying to make a 1 paragraph answer to metal detecting, what do YOU think the easy answer would be? You certainly can't go on and on delineating out "yes over here, but no by that cabin, and yes on the beach, but not in the astroturf", blah blah blah. So they just make it simple and tell you "ask at each place". And then you risk someone's opinion (who frankly might never have given the matter thought, if they'd stared right at an md'r), giving you a "no", and then starting to boot others!

So just based on the reality of the CA situation, it makes me wonder about the list, and about some of the dire sounding things said of other states.

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Florida, it is against the law to detect in state parks that do not border the oceans, but we can detect state parks with ocean beaches up to the dunes. Lots of state parks here with springs and rivers, we are not allowed to detect any of them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread