Feedback Please

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your going to get a bunch of answers about which one to get but only you can tell how you will use it or what features are important to you. Suggest you visit the manufacturers websites instead of relying on someone to lie to you.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hurckman,

People here would love to help you, but there's some information they are going to need.

For example, where do you plan to do most of you hunting? The woods? Open fields? Parks? Beaches? Schoolyards? Try giving us at least your top three places.

The other thing you need to do is tell the forum what part of the what state you live in. Soil conditions have a big impact on detectors and not all machines perform the same way everywhere. A detector that works great in my ultra-mild Florida soil may not do so hot in Oregon or Arkansas.

And also tell us a little bit about what features matter the most to you. For example, do you want a tone only detector or do you want a Target Information Screen?

One piece of advice I can give you is to make sure you budget for two extras: a smaller coil than the stock coil that comes with the detector, one that is no bigger than 6" in diameter. You will find those small coils to be a Godsend in trashy areas. Advice #2: get yourself a good pinpointer. I know they cost a few bucks (my personal favorite, the Garrett Propointer, sells at about $127), but they are worth it! They make retrieving targets so much easier. It is the best investment you can make after you buy your detector.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Hurckman .... Like Sandman said it is best to go to a dealer or to the website............... What you get here is what ever detector the person uses that gives you advice........................ That is going to be the best detector in the world..................And it is to him ................But you might buy one like he tells you........And you will hate it......... With detectors you have to make your own mind up...........About what you like .... Not what some one else likes........

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Keppy said:
Hurckman .... Like Sandman said it is best to go to a dealer or to the website............... What you get here is what ever detector the person uses that gives you advice........................ That is going to be the best detector in the world..................And it is to him ................But you might buy one like he tells you........And you will hate it......... With detectors you have to make your own mind up...........About what you like .... Not what some one else likes........

So true. Get a major manufacturer like Whites, Minelab, Fisher, etc. They all have great machines. If $800 is your budget there are many machines that will work well for you. But like they said earlier where are you going to be hunting, are you going to hunt beaches, are you going to hunt anything other than coins, etc. Some machines work better in Virginia soil than others, some machines don't work very well on the beach (even though they are great coin machines), some machines are very simple to use and others takes some time to understand. There really is no best machine. It is just that some machines work better in some areas than others. Give us some more info on where you live and where you plan on hunting and we can narrow down a few for you.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sandman said:
Your going to get a bunch of answers about which one to get but only you can tell how you will use it or what features are important to you. Suggest you visit the manufacturers websites instead of relying on someone to lie to you.
I believe you will get a lot of different answers, and that is good, but I honestly don't feel too many people will lie to you, about what machine they feel is best suited for your situation.

Like Treasurehound said, give us a little more info, and we will do our best to help.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Welcome to TNet. I see you have 25 posts. I'm guessing you haven't had a detector before? If no, don't hurry out to buy a detector ... yet.

Search for Metal Detector FAQs. Read them. This should answer many of your initial questions, but will suggest more questions. Write them down.

Now you are ready to contact a metal detector store and salesperson near you. Ask your written-down questions of the salesperson. Allow yourself an hour or more. Most salespeople are going to want to sell you a detector. You want a salesperson who will help you find treasure.

Finally, a detector is only as good as the person using it. Most good detector stores will have an area where you can test a detector. Take the test drive. Find out what detector is easiest for you to use, and fits your needs. You are the best and ONLY source for answering this question. If a salesman tries to force you to buy today, DONT! Put that decision off until you can see another salesperson. You owe it to yourself to become knowledgeable.

I'd suggest (if you haven't already) buying a treasure magazine or two (or more). Used ones are fine. Lost Treasure and Western & Eastern Treasures are good. Read them cover to cover, including the ads. Learn the code words and what they mean. Read about what is being found and where.

Finally, you probably won't make a lot of money detecting. At least not at first. Like any hobby, it takes time. If you don't want to invest hundreds of hours learning your detector and digging up lots of junk, don't buy a detector! There are few quick finds. As Indiana Jones said "... X never, ever, marks the spot." All a detector can do is tell you where to dig: you have to put the detector over the spot first.

Hope to hear more from you!

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Smudge say where are you at. Where do you want to detect. If you are in Ohio or close to the Ohio line in MI or IN you can get with me and do some detecting. I have extra detectors and you can try them out to see what you like......Matt

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mlayers said:
Like Smudge say where are you at. Where do you want to detect. If you are in Ohio or close to the Ohio line in MI or IN you can get with me and do some detecting. I have extra detectors and you can try them out to see what you like......Matt
cant go wrong with an off like this
and by all means talk with mike from woodland detectors he will lead ya in the right directions

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread