Feeling some "Gilt" about this button

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was mild and slightly rainy this morning, so I went for a quick hunt for my first time at a mid-1800's homestead site I had had my eyes on. Things started poorly for me. First off, I saw a rusty lock sitting on a stone and a scattering of old bottles, so I knew the place had been hit before. Secondly, the ground was generating so much noise, that I couldn’t get a clear patch of dirt to ground balance my machine. Thirdly, the area was so overgrown that I had difficulty swinging the detector and keeping track of where I had been. However, I finally settled in and found a few shotgun shell pieces, a slug, and a 30-30 shell casing marked Western 1918 (apparently manufactured that year). Continuing on, I got a nice clean coin signal about six inches down, and thought I might have something good. It was only a 1941 Wheatie, but at least it was a coin. I was just about ready to give up, when I got a faint coin signal about 6-8 inches down. I recovered the item, which was a small, slightly concave, plain button. Although feeling encouraged, I had to go, though at least I knew I had something potentially interesting. Once home, I saw the back of the button had three letters: “ILT,” which you might be able to see at about 11 o’clock in my photo. Doing a little research, I think the back had at one time said “GILT,” which was a mark apparently used from about 1800 to 1850 to indicate the quality. While not much to look at, I was very happy with the button and glad that it had slipped through the cracks of other's prior hunts. Thanks for looking. Happy hunting.

Attachments

• Misc Finds.jpg
    Misc Finds.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 70
  • Button Gilt Back.jpg
    Button Gilt Back.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 74
Upvote 16
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing, congratulations! :occasion14:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you grab the lock that was left there for you?

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds looks like you did good. I need a day like that soon Well done Happy Holidays Tommy

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love finding buttons! Nice finds! Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Great early button! I have read that raised backmarks, like the type your button appears to have, are typically a bit older than those with carved backmarks. Your button likely dates from 1790 through around 1820 or so. Where you find early buttons like that, you have much greater chances of finding coins or other cool relics. Congrats!

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did you grab the lock that was left there for you?

Unfortunately, no. In my initial confusion then rush to leave, I forgot it. I plan on revisiting that spot soon and will grab it. It is a sliding barrel bolt. I am thinking of cleaning it up a bit and actually using it on a shed door.

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great early button! I have read that raised backmarks, like the type your button appears to have, are typically a bit older than those with carved backmarks. Your button likely dates from 1790 through around 1820 or so. Where you find early buttons like that, you have much greater chances of finding coins or other cool relics. Congrats!
Thanks for the information; I was hoping someone would bring up the possibility of late 1700's. I only started detecting this summer, so this is probably my oldest find with the possible exception of a slightly larger, plain flat button I found a couple weeks ago. It was flat, about 20mm in diameter, very thin, and had no markings at all. I posted that one on this site on 12/13/2018. Again, thanks for the feedback. I hope to hit that site again very soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread