Feeling the burn

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just curious if any of my fellow treasure hunters ever get a little 'burnt out' so to speak?
I've been a pretty hard core treasure hunter (mostly metal detecting) for a little over two years now and I've found some awesome (to me) stuff that I never expected to find. I've gathered a sizable collection of both coins and relics, even found some Native American artifacts along the way.

However where I live it's hard to find a place both historically worthy of hunting, and that a person can get permission to go. There were only a hand full of settlers in this area prior to the civil war and they were some of the poorest dirt farmers in the country. Sure there's plenty of rusty scrap iron farm junk in the fields, but how much of that does a person need?

I've hunted most of the places I could get permission to be on and grown weary of door knocking because that's mostly just a good way to get kicked in the sack (figuratively speaking). Basically if people don't know you already, you might as well forget about it.

I've lost so called friends by telling them where I found stuff, only to find out they were just milking me for information when I catch them hunting places behind my back, that I offered to take them. Lesson learned.

It's a tough pill to swallow, and I'm not giving up, but I think I need to just need to sit back, admire my finds for a bit, and shift my focus to other things, at least temporarily.

Does anyone else ever get to feeling a little burnt out?
How do you get over it, or do you?

[I'm still going to be around to help ID stuff when I can]

Icewing

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been going through that this season, but still get out every weekend. I think it's common especially if you don't have a good friend who is also a hunting buddy. I have taken numerous people out to my sites trying to find a good hunting partner and yet have any to return the favor or even reach out to hunt again. I have a few prospects yet, two are getting detectors for Christmas and a younger fellow in town, problem is he works second shift and our schedules never coincide. When I started I hunted every available moment of sunlight when not at work and 10 to 12 hours every weekend day. Then I dropped to just weekends (8 hours per day) and one night a week and then last year I went down to about 5 hours per weekend day and maybe one night a month. This year I hunt about 4 hours per weekend day and maybe 1 night a month. It has become more of a hobby and less of an obsession. I really like finding the goods on private permissions, but will go hit public lands when a permission is not available. I have made many friends here on Tnet and have traveled to hunt with them on many occasions and still have more to meet and hunt with. I doubt if I will ever give up the hobby though, I mean it's like a free lottery, the next plug might be "THE PLUG" that holds a bucket list item. The only expense for me is gas since I get batteries every year for Christmas.

I still spend hours per day here on Tnet, but don't comment on all of today's finds like I had in the past. I mainly review the following forums. Today's Finds, Charter Member, General forum, Metal detecting and a few of the Brands forums always trying to give advice and contribute to this great community. I used to comment on about 30 posts per day and just went over 10,000 posts last week.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do I hear crickets? I guess were alone in this icewing. :dontknow:

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nope your not alone, been doing it for four years and never get much . other than jar lids , did find my first civil war bullets this year ,got me pumped but nobody to share them with or brag well thats not much fun. i believe i been to a total of twenty eight home sites this year and still looking for a silver coin:laughing7:

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can relate. This has been a different fall for me due to a couple of things. I think a change of pace as far as detecting goes will only make you a better hunter. And make it that much sweeter when you start back. If you think you need a break, then you probably do. Like LD, I've also been less active here on t-net for a few weeks, but mainly because I've been busy with other things. As far as a hunting buddy goes, I've been pretty lucky. Damnails and I both started this hobby at the same time and both work hard to obtain permissions. We share equally with one another, and always check with the other if we want to bring a guest.
Him and I both used to deer hunt, but not together. This year we have been going, and have both had great success. It's been nice to take a little break and enjoy other Hobbies. It's even better when you have great friends to share it with.

HH, RN

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope. Not alone. I've been detecting off and on for 12-14 years roughly I guess. The off and on is due to working heavy duty hours and also would get "the burn" after periods of time and would involve myself in a couple of other interests that I have. Periods of kinda intense detecting and then taking a "break" I guess. I would always come back to it because I love it so much. Nothing wrong with stepping back from something, from time to time. Sometimes it can be a good thing.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I struggle with it Icewing. My spots aren’t very good, however i enjoy it and go despite The meager finds. I’m middle aged and just enjoy being out somewhere peaceful, alone or with buddies. If people are poaching your spots, you’re hanging out with the wrong people. There are some really good people out there. Be selective. Idiots predominate unfortunately.
I am writing this from a hotel room 567 miles from home. I go on metal detecting vacations (drive & fly) and visit other generous Tnetters who take me hunting. You seem like a good dude, i bet someone in a good area would hook you up.

JMHO sir.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do have to admit that the hunts I had with my Tnet friends were the best hunts. What a bunch of characters, I mean that in a good way. It's more than just a hunt, it's an event. Never a dull moment. What other hobby will have you drive 20 hours round trip to walk in the woods somewhere far away with other you met here. The detecting finds are secondary to the friendships and memories.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I struggle with it Icewing. My spots aren’t very good, however i enjoy it and go despite The meager finds. I’m middle aged and just enjoy being out somewhere peaceful, alone or with buddies. If people are poaching your spots, you’re hanging out with the wrong people. There are some really good people out there. Be selective. Idiots predominate unfortunately.
I am writing this from a hotel room 567 miles from home. I go on metal detecting vacations (drive & fly) and visit other generous Tnetters who take me hunting. You seem like a good dude, i bet someone in a good area would hook you up.

JMHO sir.

Looks like you guys had a great day today. :headbang:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like you guys had a great day today. :headbang:

I don’t want to high jack IWs thread. They were all good days. Even the rainy day in our $4.00 ponchos from Family Dollar! Everyone got something today, that was very nice. You were missed brother.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I detect everyday and not only am I “burnt out” my body is feeling the pain. Between working, wife time and detecting (very little sleep) I’m breaking down. My New years resolution is going to be to start doorknocking and working smarter not harder. It’s just so hard to stop detecting for me i’m always so curious to see what’s out there on every day basis but as my mama used to say, “Curiosity killed the cat’l

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Metal detecting is a mistress that I've been having an affair with since 1972. There are still times when she stirs me as passionately as the day she and I found our first gold nugget, or that time we scored a spill of Silver Dollars! She was stunning. I couldn't stop quivering, just staring at that silver in the dirt. But, I would be lying if I said it has all been good whiskey and roses with me and my mistress.

There have been long periods, sometimes whole summers we have drifted apart. Arguing about big metal, pull-tabs, nails, flies, yellow jackets, ticks - you name it. Sometimes it was just robotic, without commitment or the passion in the earphones. We spent time apart. She retreated to the closet for weeks at a time. I passed my time sailing, building radio-controlled helicopters, taking flint-knapping lessons. Sure, I experienced some "hot" pass times, but nothing has ever thrilled me like metal detecting. I always come back to her, no matter how hard she pulls my chain.

She's a habit I can't break. :dontknow:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now how do i follow that Terry?

Detecting since 1990, it has its on & off times, but i can't give it up because i know whats out there awaiting discovery. It takes just that little glimmer to ignite a flame that keeps me going, but then as we age it gets a little harder and we have to adjust the hunting tactics, and the pace.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detecting is a mistress that I've been having an affair with since 1972. There are still times when she stirs me as passionately as the day she and I found our first gold nugget, or that time we scored a spill of Silver Dollars! She was stunning. I couldn't stop quivering, just staring at that silver in the dirt. But, I would be lying if I said it has all been good whiskey and roses with me and my mistress.

There have been long periods, sometimes whole summers we have drifted apart. Arguing about big metal, pull-tabs, nails, flies, yellow jackets, ticks - you name it. Sometimes it was just robotic, without commitment or the passion in the earphones. We spent time apart. She retreated to the closet for weeks at a time. I passed my time sailing, building radio-controlled helicopters, taking flint-knapping lessons. Sure, I experienced some "hot" pass times, but nothing has ever thrilled me like metal detecting. I always come back to her, no matter how hard she pulls my chain.

She's a habit I can't break. :dontknow:

Well versed my friend. I often refer to metal detecting as my "therapy". In all honesty I believe it can become a manifestation of some internal malady. It's a form of escape for me. Getting away from the stress of everyday life but, often becomes such an obsession that it begins to get us out of balance with our priorities. At least for me. I do want to die in the field after finding that one truly great Bucket List Find of a lifetime!:laughing9:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Happening to me right now, but I will certainly keep looking for places, it seems like I have been to all of them, or they have been hunted out by other people!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The key is to mix it up. I'm sick of digging clad coins right now, so I'm spending most of my time in the woods. If I get sick of digging oxen shoes and shotgun shells, I'll go back to one of my bottle dumps. By the time I'm sick of that, I'll get the urge to go dig up some clad coins again. And if you like to detect at the beach, you can add that to your schedule as well.

Bottom line, I enjoy all types of hunting, so I have fun no matter what type I'm doing that particular day.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a sport that is pretty unique. Chasing after treasure involves much time and effort to obtain worthy sights. Finding fellow hunters who's character is honest and true is a real blessing. I do enjoy hunting alone but, sharing in the pursuit and actually finding real treasure with friends is a blast. I have never been good at obtaining permissions but, this year I have scored a lot of hunting ground in fields. There are a few folks I hunt with on occasion but, mostly it's just me wandering alone talking to myself and my Creator. LOL!

I just received a copy of Bill Dancy's book, Discovering Virginia's Colonial Artifacts. I have only had time to glance at it but, believe it will become a good guide to changing my perspective on why I do this treasure hunting thing. I am a terrible hoarder of stuff. The finds I recover usually end up in a box or small jewelry container. There's no one in my family that shares this passion-obsession for chasing treasure. Who am I going to leave this stuff to? I reckon it would be better suited to donate many of my finds to local museums for folks to benefit from. It's not really about the value of the finds for me but, their historical relevance. I do need to examine myself periodically to see what my motives are for chasing after this stuff. I do enjoy getting out in nature and witnessing the many things most folks take for granted. I love to capture a picture of flowers, bugs, critters doing what comes natural. It brings peace to my soul to see these things and I enjoy sharing them here on T-net.

Not sure if any of these ramblings offer anything you can relate to in your world mate. I am just sitting here drinking my 8 O'clock freshly ground java getting ready to pick another spot to spend some hours hopefully finding something old and cool today. I think I'll be going through my finds of nine years finally this winter and deciding what is best to do with them. The pirate in me says KEEP THEM! The still small voice in me tells me to share them. I don't think they will lining my casket when I leave this place. You have a great day sir and I hope you can adjust your perspective if needed to just enjoy this great sport of treasure hunting. I do love it so and hope you continue to as well. Peace.

Last edited:

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What burns me out is after discovering promising locations, and doing the research ,not being able to obtain permission time and time again. This last half of 2017 has been horrible for that.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Happening to me right now, but I will certainly keep looking for places, it seems like I have been to all of them, or they have been hunted out by other people!

So instead of putting the detector in the car, drive to your local library, or a meeting of the local historical society. Casually, at your own pace, learn more about your area - Stage Coach stops; Taverns; Stables; Battlegrounds / Camps; County Fairs; Grange's. Conversely, put your detector in the car and go driving. Look for small areas that might not seem promising at first. If you can park, detect it. :skullflag:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Even though they've been hit in the past by others, that doesn't mean there aren't any treasures left to find. Many of my permissions this year must have been hit by others in the past. I still seem to eke out a silver and a few wheats form many of them. I find that if I concentrate on the trashier areas that is where the keepers remain hidden.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions