Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a few days old, but finally back to the computer (more medical stuff, I wont bore you)....
A local festival was held that I thought would be a gold mine. Hunted it about 4 months ago, but the locals told me "you have to get here right after it ends to avoid all the snowbird detectors"... My wife and I scouted out the festival the last day, it was a really nice change to get out for something like that, and it was crowded. I could hardly wait for the next day to come.
I got up at the crack of dawn and drove the 40 miles to get there. City workers were all over, along with a drove of inmates, doing cleanup.. I couldnt believe the garbage people had left all over!
No other detectors in site, so I first hit the area with benches where they have the concerts, etc.. Nothing but one quarter and 4 pennies.. I couldnt believe it.. So then I went over to the area where the rides were.. Nothing but aluminum tabs and shards, and 6 pennies, one dime... So then I went and hit the booth areas... Same thing, small amount of clad, and lots of junk. About then, I noticed another detector working the bench area I had already hit. We visited for a while, new to the hobby, and wasnt finding anything either, much to his surprise also. We said our goodbyes and good luck's, and I decided to go to a park that I had been told the last time here, but hadnt gone to.
Kind of a hidden park, and not much of a tot lot, but HUGE soccer fields... Y'all know how I love soccer fields. By this time, I was tired and hurtin, so I couldnt hunt much but thought I would just walk around the perimeter of one field, just to get the feel of how much junk was there..
I found 4 pocket spills, very little junk/pulltabs, and two small, cheap necklace crosses.. BUT MAN OH MAN, this place is going to be a treasure trove I think! I was heading out and walking fast, happy as a clam, and in a slight depression between the fields on the way back to the truck, I got a really strong signal and a $1 visual.. I dug down to the 5" depth the MXT displayed, and saw something that had a gold tint to it.. My heart nearly stopped... About the size of a silver dollar, but clearly a necklace pendant of some kind. When I got home and cleaned it up, it is a medal for 3rd place in what appears to be basketball, and on the back is the date 1938! Really cool find I thought.. Then went about another 30 feet and in that time, found two silver earrings, one very ornate with fire opal, the other a simple but elegant square post, also sterling..
Then, in taller grass about 60 ft from where my truck was parked, got a very loud chattery sound like i havent heard before, and almost didnt stop, but it was shallow enough that I could tell it wasnt deep at all.. Pinpointer out, and probed the grass and very quickly found the target... A new looking, behind the ear, Siemans hearing aid?!"
I looked it up, and it is a top of the line digital model, and retail is $1500!
Better yet, it seems to be programmed exactly to my hearing loss and fits like a glove! I called the local paper to see if anyone had reported it lost, and they said no... I asked them to post a "found" ad, only calling it a hearing aid.. I will let them identify the make/model if I get a call on it.. I also am going to contact the local hearing center and see if they can trace the owner by the serial #, or maybe even the program has the owners name in it..
Not afraid to say though, that if I cannot find the owner, it will have a very appreciative new owner, since I cannot afford hearing aids, especially one of this quality and value...

I will post pictures later of the finds... And I know I will be posting more about those soccer fields in the future!

Total clad for the day was $6.79, and only $.73 of that was from the Festival area, the rest was from the quick walk around one of the three soccer fields in that new to me park..

HH all!

Upvote 0

Toby1858

Mar 21, 2009
Springfield Mo.
Detector(s) used
Whites m6
Sounds like a good end to a hunt! :icon_pirat:I wish I could find a good soccer field or two, my five baseball field athletic park has just about had enough of me!!

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3000, Fisher F22, Garrett PinPointer
Nice finds. I hit the fairground a couple of days after they close. Usually the day after they are breaking everything down and by early evening when I get there almost all the stuff is gone. I've done pretty good there.
:hello: HH in 2010 :hello2:
Kw

Kieth-Tx

Jun 5, 2006
Victoria & Corpus Christi Texas
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tejon, 1270, Stingray II & CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wtg on the finds.....and on the hearing aid....I have found that good things come for doing a good deed. :headbang:

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
Maybe god led you to it....strange as it sounds, but it sounds like it was meant to be for you...I am not an overly religious person but if it was meant to be... then so be it......it sounds like you needed one, and god provided.....good luck to you and happy hunting...

Remember god does work in strange ways..

I kind of go by.... what comes around goes around......do on to others as you want done to yourself....

good job.....

ps....wipe the ear piece off first with rubbing alcohol.....and enjoy...

db

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread