Few Items, Big (relatively) Money

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
We didn't buy much yesterday but I'm pretty happy with what we bought. To wit:

DSC04127.JPG DSC04128.JPG
This is a WWII vintage, US Army dress uniform cap with the rain cover. It is in excellent condition and has the original box (with inserts). The guy I bought it from was asking $75 but he accepted my $50 offer. I have seen similar caps (without the box) sell on eBay in the $100 - $200 range but none of them had the original box so I'm hoping this one will bring more than $200. The cap also has the name of the Lt. Colonel who owned it. Does anybody know how to go about tracking down that info? I'm think if Colonel Baker was part of a unit that was involved in significant action, the cap might be worth even more. The same guy also had a few WWI and WWII helmets. I'm thinking I should have made an offer on those, too.

DSC04129.JPG
This is a Trek mountain bike I picked up for $40. Trek is a very popular brand. I have sold a couple of these on Craigslist in the past. I should be able to get $125 out of it.

DSC04130.JPG
Above is about 1,200 square feet of bubble wrap I grabbed out of a dumpster.

DSCF0248.JPG
Last, but certainly not least, is this Mary Kay -opoly game. My wife picked this up for $2. It is brand new, still in the shrink wrap. She was thinking this might be a $20 item. However, it turns out you can't buy these. They were only given out as prizes to Mary Kay sales people. They sell on eBay for $80 - $120!

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stuff. I like the bike. I've been looking for a decent one for a little while now. I would have jumped on that one myself. I passed on a real nice looking Schwinn at the flea market on Friday. He wanted $150 for it but I figured I could do better eventually. Besides the Schwinn's nowadays don't cost too much more than that anyway, brand new from Target.

OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a Trek mountain bike that I like very much. I sold my old Trek touring bike a few years ago for, I think, $125. It was in worse shape than this. This Trek needs air in the tires and the brakes need to be adjusted but, other than that, it should be good to go.

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Whites Prizm iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice grab on the bike. I'm sure the other stuff is a good deal too.

OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, Don. Col. Baker's marker confirms his status as an officer in WWII which clearly makes the hat of that vintage. I would love to determine what Army unit(s) Col. Baker was associated with. Anybody know how to get info like that?

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sure !!
Contact the cemetery where she was buried (see below) and ask for next of kin information.
Tell them what you have and your desire to have it returned to the family. More than likely they'll assist you.
Don......
700 Timberlane Road
Tallahassee
Leon County
Florida USA
Postal Code: 32312
Phone: (850) 893-4177

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread