Few relics from Relay, MD-some opinions needed on finds.

peteacher37

Aug 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lately have been getting back to metal detecting and stayed close to home here in historic Relay MD. A few finds from the grounds of the old Relay Hotel. Two Indian head pennies (1986 & 1889), William McKiney token, piece of spoon, and a few items I would like your opinion on. First, are the bullets civil war era? Second, is that funny looking lead item a carved piece or I am just hoping so? Do you see anything suggesting it might be a carved bullet? Third, I found a copper half-dollar sized object with 2 holes for a pin. Any ideas? Lastly, I found an ornate piece of washer like iron piece and am unsure of its origin. It is about 3 inches across and has wavy metal all around. Maybe a piece of a light from the old Relay Hotel? Anyway, good luck hunting and please feel free to give me any advice or opinions. Thanks all!

Attachments

• allfinds.JPG
    allfinds.JPG
    676.8 KB · Views: 75
  • duck.JPG
    duck.JPG
    390.7 KB · Views: 71
  • copperpin.JPG
    copperpin.JPG
    240.3 KB · Views: 76
  • fullwasher.JPG
    fullwasher.JPG
    280.2 KB · Views: 72
  • mckintoken.JPG
    mckintoken.JPG
    313.7 KB · Views: 76
Upvote 2

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
interesting finds

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Third, I found a copper half-dollar sized object with 2 holes for a pin. Any ideas?

Insert 3 ft of string through holes and tie it off in a circle.

place middle fingers through string loop.

twist disc a half dozen times.

Then periodically separate fingers and bring them together, loosening and tightening the string.

You will hear a delightful whirring sound as the disc spins and then rewinds itself for the next pull.

(it is a child's toy)

mirage83

Dec 20, 2009
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, XLT
The bullets do appear to be CW-era. The one on the left is a Type-3 Williams Cleaner with the zinc disk intact. The bullet on the right looks like your typical 3-ringer .58 caliber with some damage. The oddly shaped piece of lead looks melted to me rather than shaped or carved.

Good bunch of finds, including that toy that OWK identified. Haven't seen one on here before, but I've played with more modern versions myself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread