Few trinkets, plenty of clad

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Hey gang,

Went out yesterday and, as usual, got an early start.

Coins7-10b.JPG

My plan was to cover a fairground that recently finished up. I drove 1 1/2 hours only to find the fences still up and a security guard. "The trailors haven't been pulled out," he informs me. "They won't be out until tomorrow."

That sucks as I have an oil change scheduled for 10:30 tomorrow and they just raised the price of gas twice in one day!

Plan B. Took out my hand drawn map and gave it the once over. While looking for an elementary school I took a different route and found a park that was not listed on the internet. It was just a small park with two small tot lot playground structures. I parked the car and dragged out my gear.

The old chips were mixed with some very dirty dirt. This was the kind of dirt that when disturbed, coats your skin, more like heavy dust than dirt. Oh well, you have to take the good with the bad. Every swing of the M6 yielded multiple signals. Not sure of what time I got there but I'm guessing it was around 8. People began arriving just before 9 and I asked one of the guys whether they were having an outing or a picnic. "Yep, we do this once a week." He informed me that the kids would begin arriving at 9. I picked up the pace and stopped digging the penny signals. Nickels and quarters were much better anyway. It got to be 9:30 before all the kids were invading my space. I left the park with 6 quarters, 6 dimes, 21 nickels and 73 pennies.

Visited 3 tot lots that I've been to in the past and found very little. Either they aren't being replenished or someone else is detecting them. Took a break for lunch about 1. My daughter called me at 1:30 informing me that I was supposed to meet her, her sister, and their cousins for dinner later that evening. Great, now I'm all sweaty and dirty and I have to go out! Oh well, she returns to California tomorrow and this will be the last chance for a visit. Tried 3 more tot lots, again with very limited success. It was now nearly 4 and the first park should be clear (he told me they'd be gone by 3).

It was, for the most part. A couple family groups were milling about and about 6 "gentlemen" were seated at a picnic table chatting loudly. I kept a wary eye on those "gentlemen" as I detected the far end of the lot. A little boy asked me what I was looking for. "Coins and stuff." I told him. He watched for a while and then wandered off. A half hour later he returned and held his hand out. There were about 6 dimes, several nickels and a few pennies in his little hand. It was then I realized that he must have thought I was a poor person digging around the park for coins. I closed his hand and told him, "No thanks, I'm really after treasure like gold and silver. If I happen to find coins I'll keep them." I think I hurt his feelings because he informed me, "I'm going home now." And off he went. The "gentlemen" had left by then but I still had to keep an eye on the street as there was a lot of foot traffic up and down the street. Not the greatest part of town to be in.

About 5:10 I hear a brief siren. A police car was pulling over two youngsters on a moped. His car was angled in front of mine which was parked on the street. I continued picking up pennies as I waited for him to finish. Thirty minutes later he was still there. As I had to get to my daughters house I could wait no longer. Loading my gear into my trunk I opened the door and carefully fastened my seat belt. The cop was sitting in his car. I started the engine and backed up and into a driveway where I turned around and drove off in the opposite direction. The second visit netted 4 quarters, 10 dimes, 1 nickel, 71 pennies and 2 Republic of Honduras 10 Centavos coins.
This picture shows those foreign coins, a Phat pendant (my wife informed me of it's identity, she has the same cat design on her scrub top that she wore to work), a Nike thing, a flat penny, and a valve opener thing.

Coins7-10.jpg

The final picture is the rest of the clad (not including the 144 pennies). The dirtiest coins are from the park mentioned above. Very few in that lot were clean. The total coin for the day - 239 plus the 2 Honduran coins.

Coins7-10a.jpg

You all have a good day and find lots of treasure; I'll try again tomorrow or the next day.
Be safe and watch your back.

Upvote 0
R

RUDY2003

Man Prober, you did a lot of hole diggin that day buddy!
Thats a ver impressive coin count! I kinda keep watch over my shoulder too even in "nice" areas of town. You cannot be too careful these days.

Keep safe....

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Hows the back??? Thats alot of digging for those goodies, but worth it!! Congrats!!

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
You've been rockin of late Bob!! Congrats on your 200+ coin day! Cool.
Nice digs buddy and again, this is weird, but I recently found one of those exact Phat pendants. I can't locate the photo to show you when I found it but it seems like only within the last couple hunts.

It's a weird looking thing. What is it or what does it signify?

WTG!! HH and good luck!

BDoo

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Way to go on the coin count. The tokens are great to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread