Fewer Finds Due to COVID-19

claypile

Mar 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering if most have been affected by the pandemic. I assume not since we're not hunting by crowds. How was your hunt? Did you get fewer finds?

What were the struggles you had to deal with during these past few months? There are several people I know who felt depressed and all. Do you know people who experienced the same thing?

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Schmovid hasn’t affected my life very much in terms of work or daily routines. Nor has my detecting been affected as I’m primarily a woods hunter although I’ve been wanting to go to other places where I might find jewelry, and that isn’t a problem either.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I’m not afraid of Covid as much as the over reach of a certain entity in our daily lives.
I don’t listen to radio or watch MSM, constantly bombarding me with Covid messages.
My life is much less stressful, and metal detecting lowers it even more.

Last edited:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should be MORE finds, due to all the time off :dontknow::icon_scratch:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More time equals more gold & more ammo:thumbsup::coffee2: 001.JPG 001.JPG

Last edited:

3Jacks

Nov 21, 2020
Weatherford,TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Ace 250, Whites XLT, MP-35 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's certainly less clad/jewelry at the tot lots. Most of the other places I hunt I'm looking for things that were lost long before Covid so no dip in the number of pull tabs & can slaw :p

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done pretty well this fall season, but mostly I go by myself, and when I go with someone else, we stay about 10' apart.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The only thing that has really changed is the getting permissions-or interacting with the permissions that I have already.
I like to touch base regarding crops-if the field has changed-or if they acquired more land.
So in the meantime I scale back on getting any new land permissions as I respect the feelings of some that don't want to have interchange with others.
So rambling around the 7500-8000 acres won't effect how I go out, just getting the time to hunt is the issue.
The lack of anybody wanting to work has effected my work load.
In the news this morning it says 9.5 million have applied for CERB-wow!

We've been told that only 4 people are allowed to meet for Christmas Day, but 10 people are allowed to gather for a funeral.

Therefore, we will be holding a funeral for our pet Turkey named "Butterball," who will pass away on December 24, 2020.
Refreshments provided.
In lieu of flowers, please bring a side dish...

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We've been told that only 4 people are allowed to meet for Christmas Day, but 10 people are allowed to gather for a funeral.

Therefore, we will be holding a funeral for our pet Turkey named "Butterball," who will pass away on December 24, 2020.
Refreshments provided.

:laughing7::hello2:

OP
OP
C

claypile

Mar 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. Thank you for all your responses.

Glad to hear everyone's doing great! I highly doubt we'd be affected by the pandemic. Just stay away from new and social media! They seem to manipulate us into believing what they want us to believe.

The only thing that has really changed is the getting permissions-or interacting with the permissions that I have already.
I like to touch base regarding crops-if the field has changed-or if they acquired more land.
So in the meantime I scale back on getting any new land permissions as I respect the feelings of some that don't want to have interchange with others.
So rambling around the 7500-8000 acres won't effect how I go out, just getting the time to hunt is the issue.
The lack of anybody wanting to work has effected my work load.
In the news this morning it says 9.5 million have applied for CERB-wow!

Refreshments provided.

:laughing7: Brilliant!

fevercyrus

Mar 24, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing. Though I'm sure cough is not a symptom of anxiety.

OP
OP
C

claypile

Mar 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, it can be for some people. Doctors call this psychogenic or somatic cough.

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
The same thing every year affects my detecting, 3 months of snow. I hardly if ever detect with anyone except when I am out west but I didn't go this winter.

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt alone on over 95% of the time so COVID didn't effect me at all.
Heck, last Winter was so mild I actually went on twice as many hunts last year, as in the three previous years
The way things are these days, I think anyone is lucky to have an outdoor - solo hobby like metal detecting, fishing, hiking, riding four wheeler's, etc.

fevercyrus

Mar 24, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, it can be for some people. Doctors call this psychogenic or somatic cough.

Oh, ok. That, I didn't know. Anyhow, happy new year to all! Hopefully next year, we'll all have great finds!

OP
OP
C

claypile

Mar 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently, there's a new variant of the virus, but I think it has the same symptoms. How are you guys? How was new year?

Digessf

Jan 5, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, and new sets of lockdowns too. New year was great! I have a lot of hope for this year, and I hope that everything works out for everyone. I'm still rooting for humanity.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Certainly COVID has impacted the number of depositors on our Florida beaches and correspondingly, finds have gone down. But that was just one factor in this past year that negatively impacted our normal level of good finds.

* COVID
* Beach Restoration...by mega tons of sand brought from inland sources
* recent temperatures in the 40-60s have discouraged people from swarming to our beaches.

Hopefully, 2021 will be a mite better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread