field detecting question

sathmcnugent

May 2, 2008
I have a question. Would detecting a farm field thats been farmed since the 1860's -1870's be worth detecing? I guess the house was built in 1874 there is an IH penny we found in the basement that was inserted in small cement block thats cemented to the floor. The house is my grandfathers which has been in the family since 1937. So far I detected about a 20 yard by 20 yard area and didnt even get a "hit". However the field is probably 500 yards long by 150-200 yards wide im guessing. Sound like a good place to go over seriously or just skim it? Also does anyone know any good techniques for field detecting? I am new with working on a field. Thanks for any and all opinions. S.M.

Upvote 0

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was there ever a building/home in the farm field itself? Any potential old roads going through the field?

Personally, I would be searching for something that had an old house on it. I would probably get exhausted hunting a field and not getting any signals. There is nothing worse than hunting for a while in an empty field, getting an awesome signal, and finding a clad quarter.

Others might disagree with me, but I would try to hunt other spots first.

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Down the road from my house is a hay field im waiting on, it just needs to be plowed. Its a flip of the coin, depends on the history of the area really. Ill try to cherry pick it first and see what pops up, I found an 1812 LC in my back yard, so who knows whats in the hay field a block away. Some guys on here have a lot of luck in the fields.
Pro-

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would detect the whole place even around that brick in the floor.Go around the big trees and were the chicken coupe might have been.Detect the area were the out house was.Dig everything and go slow.

wizard

Jul 8, 2008
Rio Grande Valley
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I would go for it if i were you!! Dig everything and take it slow dont try to sweep the whole field in one day, and your efforts will be rewarded! Goodluck with it!! HH

willpond & LLK

Mar 24, 2008
Wyalusing, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Cutless, Tesoro Toltec 100, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Cibola, Fisher F2, Fisher 1236-X2
Hunt every inch of the place, you don't have to do it in a day. We find more stuff on the slope and base of small rises of land, then on the long flats. But hunt it all, and dig everything!!! Good luck!! :icon_study:

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunt in all metal mode!!! I would check the fields and everything. Who knows, you may find 1 coin or find loads out in the field. :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would only hunt the rest of the field if it is a known military area or you're in a state where there was early settlement and water runs through your property. If it's plowed it wouldn't hurt to jump on a 4 wheeler and cruise for pottery... easier than swinging.

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We often hunt a plowed field that housed a union encampment. If artifacts are present then every time it is plowed it turns up artifacts we would miss from before. Most of the farmers in our area use a 12 or 18 inch plow so artifacts can get beyond our reach and then brought back to the surface next time its plowed. Give your plowed field a good slow going over and you will find some items, I'm sure. Good luck.

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
sathmcnugent said:
I have a question. Would detecting a farm field thats been farmed since the 1860's -1870's be worth detecing? I guess the house was built in 1874 there is an IH penny we found in the basement that was inserted in small cement block thats cemented to the floor. The house is my grandfathers which has been in the family since 1937. So far I detected about a 20 yard by 20 yard area and didnt even get a "hit". However the field is probably 500 yards long by 150-200 yards wide im guessing. Sound like a good place to go over seriously or just skim it? Also does anyone know any good techniques for field detecting? I am new with working on a field. Thanks for any and all opinions. S.M.

Yes... esp since it was farmed since the 1860s... just think how many times they were out working in the fields... but, my disclaimer, I hunt any and all spots... you just don't know.... I have found just that one lone relic out in the middle of the field that made the whole day worth it.. so.. you don't know till you hit it.. advice? max setting the machines can handle for the conditions.. and go slow...

MonkeyBoy

sndman60

Jan 31, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300
Oh yes, in a big way. Think of all the activity that has taken place all over that area. I have been detecting on a farm since Jan. Well not at the moment, 'cause it's all planted, but I will hit it again hard in the Fall. This is the first place I actually got permission and it was worth asking for it, both in finds and experience gained. Go get to it man. Please share your finds.

Gary

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, farm fields are worth detecting. . .

If there were out-buildings & barns for animals, etc. that would be cleaned out on a regular basis, the
night soil (poop) was usually spread out in the fields as fertilizer. So, personal items (jewelry, coins, etc.)
that may have been lost in & around these structures may likely end up out in these fields also.

Good luck!
watercolor

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I am truly amazed at everybody here who is willing to hunt a farm field that has nothing on it but somebody farming the land. He didn't mention any buildings or history on the site except for farming and you are telling him to go hunt every inch of ground like he is going to walk away with treasures.

OP, if you like spending your days finding a few pieces of iron, then by all means, go for it.

But if you like finding coins and relics then I would spend my time detecting some place else. Any empty field with no history is just an empty field. I know that when I am out detecting I like to come home with a handful of old coins. Carrying some rusted iron out of the field and into a trash can just doesn't do it for me.

It's all about what gets you going I guess.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bscofield6 said:
Wow, I am truly amazed at everybody here who is willing to hunt a farm field that has nothing on it but somebody farming the land. He didn't mention any buildings or history on the site except for farming and you are telling him to go hunt every inch of ground like he is going to walk away with treasures.

OP, if you like spending your days finding a few pieces of iron, then by all means, go for it.

But if you like finding coins and relics then I would spend my time detecting some place else. Any empty field with no history is just an empty field. I know that when I am out detecting I like to come home with a handful of old coins. Carrying some rusted iron out of the field and into a trash can just doesn't do it for me.

Totally agree. Time spent is time lost, sitting in the library those hours would probably find you more in the end. I'm guessing some who say they would cover every foot of any huge field probably haven't done it much. Often times I leave a site that still has finds in search of a better one, the former then becomes the back-up.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
bscofield6 said:

Totally agree. Time spent is time lost, sitting in the library those hours would probably find you more in the end.

I'm guessing some who say they would cover every foot of any huge field probably haven't done it much. Often times I leave a site that still has finds in search of a better one, the former then becomes the back-up.

Yeah, once you start swinging for several hours and then have little or no finds to show for you you will lose your motivation quickly. I know that a lot of guys here like old iron relics, but I doubt that this is the kind of field that would produce the quality relics that even an iron collector would want. I would imagine that all he will find is a few old plow blades, maybe a screw driver or hammer, and probably no coins or buttons, etc.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bscofield6 said:
Iron Patch said:
bscofield6 said:

Totally agree. Time spent is time lost, sitting in the library those hours would probably find you more in the end.

I'm guessing some who say they would cover every foot of any huge field probably haven't done it much. Often times I leave a site that still has finds in search of a better one, the former then becomes the back-up.

Yeah, once you start swinging for several hours and then have little or no finds to show for you you will lose your motivation quickly. I know that a lot of guys here like old iron relics, but I doubt that this is the kind of field that would produce the quality relics that even an iron collector would want. I would imagine that all he will find is a few old plow blades, maybe a screw driver or hammer, and probably no coins or buttons, etc.

It of course depends 100% on the history of the area. Any field on the water near Jamestown man you're doing it, now one in the middle of Iowa .... you better give me a good reason.

Metal detecting you really have to make good use of your time because there's always more out there to dig.

Jazdo

Oct 11, 2007
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes,Golden Sabre II, & Inca!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
I would only hunt the rest of the field if it is a known military area or you're in a state where there was early settlement and water runs through your property. If it's plowed it wouldn't hurt to jump on a 4 wheeler and cruise for pottery... easier than swinging.

If you see any pottery shards or broken glass around in the field,it would probably be worth detecting!

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe
Heres what to look for. Pottery shards, glass, red rock, out of place rocks, bricks, and if the field is on a slope or hill then I would give it all a good going over. Just because there is no known history does not mean a thing! Heres a few surprising finds from unknown fields without known history.

Attachments

• IMG_1304.jpg
    IMG_1304.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 335
  • 1810 Face.JPG
    1810 Face.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 328
  • bullets.JPG
    bullets.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_1304.jpg
    IMG_1304.jpg