Field find

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
This rock has obviously been broken.
The hole in it is very concentric and uniform. It appears it could have had a purpose. I saw a lot of rocks with similar holes, while attending the Archaeology Show last month.
Iā€™ll keep it either way, but does it have possibilities beyond Pareidolia?
I canā€™t convince myself that itā€™s from erosion. Thanks. šŸ‘šŸ¼
IMG_2659.jpeg
IMG_2660.jpeg

Upvote 5

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
it's difficult for me to have a definitive opinion on this from a photo.

however, zooming in, it looks like the roundish depression is not made from grinding or abrading as I would expect from use wear.

it looks like a granite stone, cracked and weathered, with more recent scratch or plow strikes.

nature can produce strange and what does appear to be man made objects, but are not. its these that even fool me in the field often.

of course like I said it's difficult from a photo to be sure.

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
it's difficult for me to have a definitive opinion on this from a photo.

however, zooming in, it looks like the roundish depression is not made from grinding or abrading as I would expect from use wear.

it looks like a granite stone, cracked and weathered, with more recent scratch or plow strikes.

nature can produce strange and what does appear to be man made objects, but are not. its these that even fool me in the field often.

of course like I said it's difficult from a photo to be sure.
The inside of the hole has a more porous/ less smooth surface than the rest of the rock.

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Look up ā€œomarollukā€. Thatā€™s what you have.
Thanks. It looks right, but would be super-rare to find one In Iowa. Iā€™m reading that they are rare beyond Hudson Bay Ontario.

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Thanks. It looks right, but would be super-rare to find one In Iowa. Iā€™m reading that they are rare beyond Hudson Bay Ontario.
We donā€™t have Omarā€™s either but it could of had a fossil in it at one time that eroded out causing the hole

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread