JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My family pulled our 20 acre almond orchard and contracted it out for three years for sweet potatos. I've metal detected the orchard for years and found lots of cool little things as there was once a house that burnt down way back in the 1800s and the land was farmed constantly up till the present day along with tons of hunting on it. They are due to do a deep ripping of the land and I'm looking forward to getting out and metal detecting a few areas that I've had decent finds on. Mind you I live in California so fields here aren't even close to exciting as older states but still I'm excited to have a chance and finding stuff again.

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looking forward to seeing your finds!!

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Image (16).jpeg

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Progress being made, yes ugly and desolate here in the central valley in California been so terribly hot

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That should give you some finds...good luck! You'll thank yourself for pulling all the ammo you did. Now, it'll be a little easier to concentrate on the good targets.

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That should give you some finds...good luck! You'll thank yourself for pulling all the ammo you did. Now, it'll be a little easier to concentrate on the good targets.
We shall see, I've hit this field hard for years and years. First time the ground has been ripped though in probably about 50 years so I'll see what happens. My hopes aren't too high but at least new small things should pop up. I'm not expecting anything spectacular but I do enjoy finding little neat relics

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If by ripping you,re referring to the same thing called subsoiling I don,t think that actually brings up a lot of the deep soil.The blades do go deep,around 3 feet or so on a subsoiler but little is actually disturbed near the top.I might be all wrong and your rippers operate differently.If so I humbly beg your pardon,regardless it should be fun and I wish you nothing but luck.I bet it,s a hot mama jama out there with no shade,be careful.

Last edited:

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tractors are a little too far off to make out what they're using. The distant one looks like it's towing a disc. The one to the left is offscreen and I can't make out an attachment. If it was orchard and trees were removed, just that process alone will really disrupt the ground. Trying to level it all back out would disturb it more but not as deep. Good luck in there, I have a feeling that you'll find some killer stuff!

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn,t tell either but it does look like a disc.if so that will really stir up the dirt and make your chance of finding hiitherto unseen finds more likely.No telling what you,ll find and that,s the whole bag of marbles.

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If by ripping you,re referring to the same thing called subsoiling I don,t think that actually brings up a lot of the deep soil.The blades do go deep,around 3 feet or so on a subsoiler but little is actually disturbed near the top.I might be all wrong and your rippers operate differently.If so I humbly beg your pardon,regardless it should be fun and I wish you nothing but luck.I bet it,s a hot mama jama out there with no shade,be careful.
Lol I honestly know nothing about it either. We always did almonds which you don't disturb the soil at all. We have the land contracted out to a sweet potato grower and they are working the land now. They did some work and moved about 3 inches of soil today I went over that and found a bunch of bullets, lots of little scrap metal, and a 1947 nickel. Still stuff I didn't get before the soil was moved. They aren't done yet they will come back through with a huge tractor that will tear out the old sprinkler system and deep tree roots

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Off subject but I,d sure love to have gotten some wood from those almond trees.I love working wood and never had any almond.I like to use different stains and finishes to bring out the grain and such,mostly on small pieces,fly tying picks,knife handles,etc.

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Off subject but I,d sure love to have gotten some wood from those almond trees.I love working wood and never had any almond.I like to use different stains and finishes to bring out the grain and such,mostly on small pieces,fly tying picks,knife handles,etc.
Almond wood is tough stuff. Also good for smoking meats. My brother uses a lot of our logs to craft stuff. Another thing it is good for is burning it burns a long time. A very useful wood. Too bad you live far I'd of let you have a few logs we have a bunch lol.

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck on your hunts!
Thank you. They brought on another tractor today and are going down deeper so I'm heading back out

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After they deep plow and smooth it off is when you will do the best. Rough plowed ground is tough.

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After they deep plow and smooth it off is when you will do the best. Rough plowed ground is tough.
Yeah was tough the area they have just freshly done. The tractor looks like it broke down before it got to my favorite sections anyways. I looked around for awhile found lots of little brass junk then got too hot and gave up

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread